Limmo, you that old?
This reminds me of this argument with a self-described "Zeppologist" who, faced with the argument that Led Zeppelin may not be the greatest Rock and Roll band of All Time would end his arguments with "I know that is your opinion, but it's WRONG".
No, I was born in 1967 - representin' for Gen X, yo.
Actually, if I were being honest, I'd have put Zeppelin first. I know the Beatles are better than Led Zeppelin, but I'll never love them the same way. There's a passage in Chuck Klosterman's
Killing Yourself To Live that sums it up better than I can, but of course I don't have the book handy when I need it.
Don't be hatin' on your Zeppologist friend just because he was RIGHT.
I didn't get burnt on the Beatles because I didn't listen to them until I was 20 and working in a CD store. The Beatles CDs were just being released at the time in batches, and I started working there the week
Help, Rubber Soul and
Revolver came out. And we were required to play only those three CDs for a full week - the owner threatened us with "big trouble" if he came in and heard anything else playing. ( I think "big trouble" would have amounted to
extreme glaring. ) I had resisted ever listening to the Beatles up to that point, thinking it was either
mop-top crap or
music for cartoons about flying blue gloves. So I reluctantly put in
Revolver and about an hour later had a new favorite band.
It was the best possible exposure, because from that point on, a "new" Beatles CD came out every three months. So I had all of June and July to fully absorb
Sgt. Pepper's, and then in August it was time for
Magical Mystery Tour. Etc, etc.
The Beatles just wrote
more great songs than anyone else ever. Someone called them "the greatest sustained artistic miracle of modern times" and I agree. Though I'm still not crazy about the
mop-top stuff.
Ooh! Someone just posted Zeppelin's first-ever recorded show from 1968 at dimeadozen.org! Gotta go!