Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood My bicycle is parked in the living room. A tub of tartar sauce sits open on the counter. Truly, the evidence of a wife being away too long.

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7   Go Down

Author Topic: I ain't Frederick H. Coca-Cola February 7, 2006  (Read 20701 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

miles

  • Stinkfist
  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10030
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3476
    • View Profile
    • Last.fm
Re: I ain't Frederick H. Coca-Cola February 7, 2006
« Reply #60 on: February 08, 2006, 03:22:05 am »

I apologize.  I thought, for minute, that I was in IRC.
Logged
Order is indeed the dream of man, but chaos, which is only another word for dumb, blind, witless chance, is still the law of nature. - Wallace Stegner

littlefox

  • YOUR OLD FRIEND BLISTER
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 13
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 76
    • View Profile
Re: I ain't Frederick H. Coca-Cola February 7, 2006
« Reply #61 on: February 08, 2006, 03:27:22 am »

Hey, wombat. Try to figure out the secret behind my username. It is very tricky.

Anyway. I was the person who "suggested" that this arc would make a good movie. It's mainly just ... if somebody did make an Achewood movie, this would be the best arc to use. I very consistantly disagree with other people's choices about actors for comic characters if the comics were movies. Here's hoping that discussion doesn't start, because I will just be sitting here, screaming, "NOOO" the entire way through it.

Also, jough, you are so right about Beef "hacking" his way through the fight by tricking others into beating each other up. I hope Beef wins. I also hope somebody dies and goes to the Great Beyond.
I like how Achewood is the only comic where I hope a character will die. It's a cool change of pace.
Logged

a change in plans

  • Scrambles the Dog
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4
    • View Profile
Re: I ain't Frederick H. Coca-Cola February 7, 2006
« Reply #62 on: February 08, 2006, 03:32:48 am »

I agree that although I have read achewood for about a year now, this was definately the story arc that made me sign up for the forum.

Is anyone else reminded of the movie Battle Royale by all this? Or more obviously Thunderdome? The fact that they seem to lock you into the enclusure is just so incredibly badass. It had better come down to a final fight between Beef and Ray where they stare into each others eyes, beads of sweat all dripping in slow motion, the crowds chants of THREE THOUSAND MEN ENTER ONE MAN LEAVES all fading away as they contemplate how they have known each other since small times...


Edit: ah man, i apologize for not reading yesterdays posts and realizing that like five other people made thunderdome references. i am shamed.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2006, 04:13:56 am by a change in plans »
Logged

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: I ain't Frederick H. Coca-Cola February 7, 2006
« Reply #63 on: February 08, 2006, 03:34:00 am »

This makes you sound like such a badass.

Yeah, don't mess with me or I'll send my cousin Vinnie the Koala around.  That's a nice eucalyptus tree you've got there.  It would be a shame if anything happened to it, huh?
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

V-Adore

  • Guest
Re: I ain't Frederick H. Coca-Cola February 7, 2006
« Reply #64 on: February 08, 2006, 03:34:21 am »

It had better come down to a final fight between Beef and Ray where they stare into each others eyes, beads of sweat all dripping in slow motion, the crowds chants of THREE THOUSAND MEN ENTER ONE MAN LEAVES all fading away as they contemplate how they have known each other since small times...

And then Beef shanks Ray. IT CAN END NO OTHER WAY.

Unless Lyle is involved. Then, who knows?
Logged

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Online Online
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: I ain't Frederick H. Coca-Cola February 7, 2006
« Reply #65 on: February 08, 2006, 03:52:18 am »

Ok right now, that's enough.

It's never enough when it comes to sweet sweet misterqueue lovin'
Logged

misterqueue

  • Sick Fuck
  • VIP
  • R I S O T T O ?
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 25
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 2011
  • I can do anything I want. And so can you.
    • View Profile
    • A Reason for Diseasin'
Re: I ain't Frederick H. Coca-Cola February 7, 2006
« Reply #66 on: February 08, 2006, 04:25:18 am »

It's never enough when it comes to sweet sweet misterqueue lovin'

Cort, damn right, you still on for Saturday big boy?  *knowing smile wipes*
Logged
So it's satire, is it?  Well that changes everything!

Lockjaw is serious times.

Hobo Frenzy

  • Showbiz
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 3
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 222
  • fuck*ng Moto Guzzi
    • View Profile
    • the best site in the universe
Re: I ain't Frederick H. Coca-Cola February 7, 2006
« Reply #67 on: February 08, 2006, 04:47:31 am »

Seeing as I only identify you with avatars (unless I've seen pictures) I am at this very moment imagining a happy milk carton fuck*ng an angry worm. That is all.
Logged
Hey, what's this? Cursive?

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: I ain't Frederick H. Coca-Cola February 7, 2006
« Reply #68 on: February 08, 2006, 04:59:44 am »

Cheese is gonna get him some, you know that.  Don't ever turn your back on Cheese.

~Paul
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

sensate

  • Chucklebot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 6
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 111
    • View Profile
Re: I ain't Frederick H. Coca-Cola February 7, 2006
« Reply #69 on: February 08, 2006, 05:35:16 am »

I was just looking at the strip again, and it struck me how much thought Onstad puts into it. I mean, you don't get the whole polish thing in a flash. No, you have to do some actual thinking about the subject. I'm reminded of Flaubert. He wrote something less than 2 pages a day, over which he sweated and strained. He would stand up on a chair and read his day's output aloud, to see how it worked, and then fret about it to anyone who would listen. I get the same sense from Onstad. Exactitude. Exactitollah Khomeni. Artistry.

(Oh, and the latest New York press has the Notorious L.I.N.C.O.L.N. all up ins)
Logged

robot_god

  • roast beef (the middle cat)
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 74
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1195
  • Oh my gosh, dude.
    • View Profile
    • ALP Myspace Site
Re: I ain't Frederick H. Coca-Cola February 7, 2006
« Reply #70 on: February 08, 2006, 06:35:56 am »

There is barbed wire on the fence that keeps you from leaving the Great Outdoor Fight.  This is serious business.

Also, am I the only one who is disturbed by how naked Beef looks in the second to last panel?

He is the nudest he is ever being.
Logged
ACHIEVE

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
Re: I ain't Frederick H. Coca-Cola February 7, 2006
« Reply #71 on: February 08, 2006, 07:14:46 am »

We return Friday.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: I ain't Frederick H. Coca-Cola February 7, 2006
« Reply #72 on: February 08, 2006, 12:10:26 pm »

NOOOOOOOO

*spends school having a nervous breakdown about Beef's fate*
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

Biz Markizzle

  • YOUR OLD FRIEND BLISTER
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 73
    • View Profile
Re: I ain't Frederick H. Coca-Cola February 7, 2006
« Reply #73 on: February 08, 2006, 02:05:07 pm »

Speaking of which did I mention that I only realized about a week ago that the name Emergent_C sounds like the word 'emergency'?

Ohhhhhhhhh
Logged
Even my superficial raps are super official.

Emergent_C

  • Chucklebot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 153
    • View Profile
Re: I ain't Frederick H. Coca-Cola February 7, 2006
« Reply #74 on: February 08, 2006, 03:54:51 pm »

Speaking of which did I mention that I only realized about a week ago that the name Emergent_C sounds like the word 'emergency'?

Don't feel bad, wombat, it took me a really long time to figure out that your avatar was actually supposed to BE a wombat. Every stinking time I see it I think it's a sloth. (And I've been a big fan of the wombat ever since I lived in Australia. But, yeah, that picture says "sloth" to me, no matter what.)

Also, Beef's naked leg kinda freaked me out too when I first saw it.
Logged
now I know that being in trouble is a fake idea
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7   Go Up