Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood Barely passed Oregon driver's test. Lots of rules about Yielding to the Distraught and slow-moving salmon trucks on one-way switchbacks.

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: February 13, 2006 - A Stubbs stands ALONE, god dammit!  (Read 5475 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: February 13, 2006 - A Stubbs stands ALONE, god dammit!
« Reply #15 on: February 13, 2006, 03:32:10 pm »

I think y'all got it all wrong.  Ray is clueless, if Beef let him in on the plan he would try to take charge of it and fuck it up.  But Beef knows Ray even better than he knows the fight and he is playing the puppet master role like a fuck*ng genius.

~Paul
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

Bobby Isosceles

  • Guest
Re: February 13, 2006 - A Stubbs stands ALONE, god dammit!
« Reply #16 on: February 13, 2006, 04:36:18 pm »

You all are idiots. Ray and Beef have been friends for the longest time, with a compassion and understanding that will outlast any issue. Beef won't screw Ray over, it's not in his style, I mean for God's sake he saw the dude's stew. And Ray and Beef can totally execute a complex plan together without Ray fuck*ng it up, like singing about "escaping starvation in the richest country in the history of the world," or the notorious L.I.N.C.O.L.N., because they do that sort of thing just like old times!
Logged

Dr. Sodomy

  • Scrambles the Dog
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 24
  • It's a Ph.D.
    • View Profile
    • http://www.myspace.com/bepatient56
Re: February 13, 2006 - A Stubbs stands ALONE, god dammit!
« Reply #17 on: February 13, 2006, 06:32:31 pm »

On top of the Black Flag tattoo, the dude has on an old school leather motorcycle helmet, and Beef's still has his goggles on. That's been the best part of this arc for me, other than the actual story. I still think Beef wins the fight in the end.
Logged
"You holdin'?"
"Shit. Everything but coke, heroin, and your cock."

LCB

  • Chucklebot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 113
  • ...when you get the blues in the night
    • View Profile
Re: February 13, 2006 - A Stubbs stands ALONE, god dammit!
« Reply #18 on: February 13, 2006, 08:16:43 pm »

What do they do, just file in and get to clobbering after a whistle blows?

Onstad is really building up the suspense here, I must give him that.
Logged
Which way to the vomitorium, centurion?

littlefox

  • YOUR OLD FRIEND BLISTER
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 13
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 76
    • View Profile
Re: February 13, 2006 - A Stubbs stands ALONE, god dammit!
« Reply #19 on: February 13, 2006, 09:40:20 pm »

I got the impression that this was all planned, but look at his expression in panel 9. It's pretty intense, for Ray at least. Is he that good of an actor? Or, is he overacting?
YET ... there is something about this interaction which seems very choreographed.
I like Beef's pause on "I ... I gave my word."

Man. I don't know. This strip is suspenseful, even though not that much happened.
Logged

EgoSumNoah

  • YOUR OLD FRIEND BLISTER
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 66
    • View Profile
Re: February 13, 2006 - A Stubbs stands ALONE, god dammit!
« Reply #20 on: February 13, 2006, 09:56:15 pm »

I think y'all got it all wrong.  Ray is clueless, if Beef let him in on the plan he would try to take charge of it and fuck it up.  But Beef knows Ray even better than he knows the fight and he is playing the puppet master role like a fuck*ng genius.

I agree, though Beef is definitely not trying to take advantage of Ray, he's just trying to help him in the only way that Ray can be helped sometimes: subterfuge. Just because they do L.I.N.C.O.L.N. together doesn't mean that Ray will follow advice from Beef that doesn't make sense to him or agree with his ideals (i.e. standing alone).


I kinda (definitely) see this thread ending in a vengeance situation, where either Beef or Ray goes down and the other flies into a Hulk like fury and decimates what remains of the field. I would say that the fallen friend's wounds would wind up being non-fatal, but death is non-fatal in this strip, so...
Logged
I am Jack, the Pumpkin King

jcreed

  • Dr. Kisses
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 37
    • View Profile
    • http://jcreed.org
Re: February 13, 2006 - A Stubbs stands ALONE, god dammit!
« Reply #21 on: February 13, 2006, 10:17:02 pm »

On top of the Black Flag tattoo, the dude has on an old school leather motorcycle helmet...

Also he has No-No's eyes, which freaks me the hell out.
Logged

Golfhaus

  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 116
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1625
  • He does not approve. Not at all.
    • View Profile
    • http://www.prolefeed.com
Re: February 13, 2006 - A Stubbs stands ALONE, god dammit!
« Reply #22 on: February 13, 2006, 11:02:16 pm »

I don't think it was planned, or at least planned between the two of them. Beef knows that the two of them together aren't going to get the job done. They will need an army, and why wait until the first day to recruit when you have the son of Stubbs as a draw? They have attracted four before the first punch was thrown.
Logged

LCB

  • Chucklebot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 113
  • ...when you get the blues in the night
    • View Profile
Re: February 13, 2006 - A Stubbs stands ALONE, god dammit!
« Reply #23 on: February 14, 2006, 01:54:30 am »

You know there's probably something wrong with the skinny guy wearing the leather helmet. By wrong I mean "a scary dude whose idea of a good time involves blood and blunt objects".

Honestly, the more I look at him there's just something unnerving about him, but I suspect that's just me and he'll just be another piece of cannon fodder.
Logged
Which way to the vomitorium, centurion?

V-Adore

  • Guest
Re: February 13, 2006 - A Stubbs stands ALONE, god dammit!
« Reply #24 on: February 14, 2006, 01:55:04 am »

The thing, I think, about Ray and Beef in the fight is that the Great Outdoor Fight can only have one winner, and Beef understands this. He's willing to help Ray prove his father's legacy, but he's not going to throw the fight to Ray. If he ends up beating Ray, it isn't malice or treachery; it's just what a man in the Great Outdoor Fight has to do. This is man-time, and Beef has to come real.
Logged

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: February 13, 2006 - A Stubbs stands ALONE, god dammit!
« Reply #25 on: February 14, 2006, 05:01:51 am »

Another thing that most of you have gotten wrong, these so called "cannon fodder" that Beef has recruited, look to me like some serious bad asses and they are going to punish in one hour.  They are going to kick rich amount of ass.  Beef knows this is necessary so he ain't recuit a bunch of pansies.

One thing you do have right, Beef ain't doing this for Ray.

~Paul
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

robot_god

  • roast beef (the middle cat)
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 74
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1195
  • Oh my gosh, dude.
    • View Profile
    • ALP Myspace Site
Re: February 13, 2006 - A Stubbs stands ALONE, god dammit!
« Reply #26 on: February 14, 2006, 05:03:17 am »

Beef has to believe he can take Ray in a fight.  Ray probably believes that he can take Beef in a fight.  Beef would probably win because Ray has too much heart congestion.  
Logged
ACHIEVE
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up