How do you know if one of your internet friends has died? Do your real world friends and family know the places you frequent on the internet? Maybe, but even if they are aware, would they even know how to find it if you didn't show them? Even if they knew exactly where you go, would it cross their mind to inform the people you chat with of your passing? They might e-mail people in your address book, but would they come here? Would you want to know if one of your internet friends had passed away, or would you rather believe that they just stopped being your friend?
I had an idea several years ago that we need internet obituaries to let a persons internet friends know when they have passed on. My idea is very similar to the
ICE your cell phone thing that's going around. Basically just put a folder on your desktop entitled "OPEN IN CASE OF DEATH" which contains instructions on who on the internet you want to be notified and how to reach them.
I hate to be so morbid, but this idea revived itself in my mind when I heard that Side Show was sick. God forbid anything should happen to any one of us, but people die everyday. For all we know St. Zartan is dead. If one of you were to meet an untimely end I think I would want to know so I could grieve for you.
~Paul