Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood My bicycle is parked in the living room. A tub of tartar sauce sits open on the counter. Truly, the evidence of a wife being away too long.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Pop up blocker  (Read 7760 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9819
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Pop up blocker
« on: September 06, 2003, 12:11:38 am »

So what kind of pop-up blockers are the kids using these days? Without switching to mozilla, if possible
Logged

AlohaDawg

  • Moderator
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 79
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4184
  • Crawlin' back to prosperity
    • View Profile
Pop up blocker
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2003, 12:23:03 am »

I tried AdsGone and it did very strange things to my browser plus now the guy doesn't seem interested in answering e-mail looking for some help. The Google Toolbar now has pop-up blocking built into it. That seems to be working ok.

I was considering trying Mozilla for that very reason.
Logged

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Pop up blocker
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2003, 01:53:35 am »

I had always used AdAware with mixed results.  I moved to the Google toolbar and it has worked great for me.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9819
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Pop up blocker
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2003, 02:46:13 am »

My only complaint with the G toolbar is that it has to be visible to work. I like to run my browser in full scren (F11) and the Google takes up space I'd like to have. I tried hiding the toolbar but that also shuts off all the features. I guess I'm too picky.
Logged

Choop

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1010
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4260
  • www dot at rick and morty dot com www
    • View Profile
Pop up blocker
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2003, 10:27:08 pm »

Pop-up blocker? Feh. Ad server blocker. That's more like it.

I've got my hosts file all set up with ad servers from around the world, all pointing to my own machine. Since most popups are generated by external javascripts on adservers, I don't often see popups or popunders.

The few that do show up won't load the pages that are called, so they don't spawn other windows at all, which leaves them pretty easily closable -- especially due to my lightning-fast ALT+TAB CTRL+W reactions.

Now. If there's a site I'd like to support via toleration of adbanners, and I know they make money from the ads, I'll let those adservers (if not too wide-spread across the web) through by deleting them from my hosts file.

If an ad gets through from a site I don't wish to see ads on, I track down the server that's called and add it to my hosts file. Voila.

PM if you're interested in getting this set up and need more help than that link provides, or more servers to add to your file.
Logged
Nobody exists on purpose; nobody belongs anywhere; everybody's gonna die. Come watch TV?

mwn8989

  • Scrambles the Dog
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 4
    • View Profile
    • http://www.lacrosseforums.com
Pop up blocker
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2003, 09:14:44 pm »

acctually, the best way to get rid of popups (especially those permanently implanted in the computer, commonly a result of downloading music) is to get  a SPYWARE blocker/protection system, seeing as it spyware that spawns most of these popups
Logged
Tube soxx rokk

Choop

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1010
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4260
  • www dot at rick and morty dot com www
    • View Profile
Pop up blocker
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2003, 02:47:46 am »

BALEETED!

If you aren't careful about what you install on your system, the side effects are your own damned fault. Yes, read the Terms and Conditions. Yes, read the Privacy Agreement. If you don't agree with what they say, don't install that software! Simple as that!

The best protection is education plus consideration.
Logged
Nobody exists on purpose; nobody belongs anywhere; everybody's gonna die. Come watch TV?

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9819
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Pop up blocker
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2003, 04:13:53 pm »

I think I'd die without the combination of AdAware, Karen's Cookie Viewer, and IE's cookie blocking.

Although now I can't read some of the stories on the Washington Post, but nuts to them.
Logged

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Pop up blocker
« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2003, 04:16:49 pm »

I like the google toolbar, but then I had it installed *before* they included the pop-up blocker.  

Sure, it's probably spyware, but at least it's useful.
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

slink

  • Mod Squad
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 47
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3051
  • Слінк Ядранко
    • View Profile
    • OMD on MySpace
Pop up blocker
« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2003, 04:21:53 pm »

Quote from: "jldunston"
I like the google toolbar, but then I had it installed *before* they included the pop-up blocker.  

Sure, it's probably spyware, but at least it's useful.


AFAIK the google toolbar wouldn't have any spyware involved. Spyware tends to come with slightly dodgy programs, and is a huge hassle. But then the spyware mention wasn't what was being discussed and was not really a good piece of advice regarding normal browing pop-up blocking.
It was referring to pop-ups happening from windows, without any browing taking place, and something like adaware that removes spyware is the way to deal with them.
WebWasher is a fairly good pop-up blocker for browing purposes, and was what I used before my switch to mozilla.
Logged
FOOD CHAIN! GET USED TO IT!

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9819
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Pop up blocker
« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2003, 04:29:44 pm »

Quote from: "jldunston"
I like the google toolbar, but then I had it installed *before* they included the pop-up blocker.  

Sure, it's probably spyware, but at least it's useful.


It gives you the choice. If you want to see page rankings it collects "anonymous aggregate information" not unlike a TiVo or Nielson box. If you turn off page rankings no information is shared.
Logged

andalucia

  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 2
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1680
    • View Profile
    • http://www.awesomeblurry.com
Pop up blocker
« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2003, 08:49:36 pm »

But what, pray tell, is wrong with Mozilla?
Logged
goose means greedy

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9819
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Pop up blocker
« Reply #12 on: September 08, 2003, 08:50:58 pm »

Quote from: "andalucia"
But what, pray tell, is wrong with Mozilla?


Permissions at work. I can install little stuff but not big. Chances are I could get a pop-up blocker in (others have in the past) but installing a whole browser would certainly fail.

[edit: great title andalucia]
Logged

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
Pop up blocker
« Reply #13 on: September 08, 2003, 09:30:33 pm »

I use Mozilla Firebird - for Windows it's just a download.  No installing.  You just unzip it and run it.

I cannot recommend a piece of software more highly.  It runs much faster than the standard Mozilla Suite because of its XUL front-end, too.

And it has all sorts of web-master-geek extensions to play with.

And of course the excellent Gecko rendering engine.

And unlike the standard Mozilla, Firebird blocks pop-ups by *default*.

Not that Moz isn't a great browser.  It's just that their stand-alone browser project, Firebird, is better for now.

Eventually the Firebird browser will replace the current Netscape-like front end to be simply called "The Mozilla Browser."

Me.  Geek.

andalucia

  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 2
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1680
    • View Profile
    • http://www.awesomeblurry.com
Pop up blocker
« Reply #14 on: September 09, 2003, 12:04:46 am »

Jough, I'm using Firebird too.

Geek high fives?
Logged
goose means greedy
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up