Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

TERRIBLE!

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: How are you Gentlemen  (Read 4164 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Tangle

  • Chucklebot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 2
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 102
  • hurry boy, she's waiting there for you
    • View Profile
    • She was born on 2 June 2006.
How are you Gentlemen
« on: February 16, 2006, 04:22:10 pm »

Hello, my name is Tangle. Well not really but for this purpose it'll do.

I enjoy wrestling (watching, not participating), 80s heavy metal, Texas hold-em, video games, useless gadgets, cross-country skiing, and alcohol.

Turnoffs include waking up, going to work, working, going to sleep, and Silvio Berlusconi.

I live in Finland, but I hope no one will hold that against me.

About half a year ago I discovered Achewood and quickly realized that it is the best web comic (possibly the best comic, period) I have ever read. I have now accepted the fact that none of my "real life" friends, nor my wife, can be persuaded to show any interest in Achewood so I had no choice but join you fine folks in this online community. Please be gentle, I have lurked for some weeks but might still make some noobish mistakes.

Also, I went to the dentist today (first time in about 20 years - yes you read that right), and the left half of my mouth is hell of numb right now. Not my favorite feeling ever. And I have a terrible urge for coffee but I just know that if I try drinking anything right now it will end badly.

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: How are you Gentlemen
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2006, 04:36:34 pm »

Hey Tangle welcome to the board.  Being from Finland is cool, being into the worst of American culture isn't though.

~Paul
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: How are you Gentlemen
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2006, 05:23:29 pm »

Tangle gets a can for Most Wandering Post Award.  I think he is going to fit right in.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

AlohaDawg

  • Moderator
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 79
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4184
  • Crawlin' back to prosperity
    • View Profile
Re: How are you Gentlemen
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2006, 05:41:09 pm »

Hey Tangle!

Are you an American in Finland or a Finn with a really great grasp of American colloguial English?

Also, what news of Conan O'Brian? Will he be made Minister of Female Sauna Inspectiions by President Halonen?
Logged

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
Re: How are you Gentlemen
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2006, 05:49:09 pm »

Did Halonen win the re-election, or has that not happened yet?

Also, WELCOME.  You are into the worst that Western Culture has to offer.  There is something to be said for that.

Tangle

  • Chucklebot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 2
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 102
  • hurry boy, she's waiting there for you
    • View Profile
    • She was born on 2 June 2006.
Re: How are you Gentlemen
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2006, 06:20:38 pm »

Thanks for the kind welcome all! I got a mini can! WOOO!  :)

I've actually lived my whole life in Finland (apart from spening June 2004 in the US...honeymooning with the missus), but I've been a US pop culture fiend most of my life so I guess that has rubbed off on me. Not in a good way, some might say...

As for the Conan / Halonen connection, don't get me started. If there's one thing that annoys me, it is that we Finns are obsessed with any mention of Finland outside our country. Which means that if Conan O'Brien mentions Finland on his show, the nation goes collectively batshit trying to gain his attention even more (sadly in this case with great success), and the whole thing grows to ridiculous proportions.

So Conan is visiting Finland (might have left already for all I know, I've tried my best to stay ignorant of the whole thing), and yeah, Halonen won the re-election. And let me just point out that I've loved Late Night with COB for years but now I can't even watch it with all the Finland bullcrap going on.

Phew. Got that out of my system, at least.

Oh and the worst of Western Culture ROCKS. I spent enough years in the university to realize that all that high-brow intelligent edumacation stuff is useless and, more to the point, boring. What we need more of is sweaty men in tights and songs about sex and alcohol. And rocking out.

AlohaDawg

  • Moderator
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 79
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4184
  • Crawlin' back to prosperity
    • View Profile
Re: How are you Gentlemen
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2006, 07:17:36 pm »

Bobby, this is the part where you post links to strange european music videos.
Logged

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: How are you Gentlemen
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2006, 07:23:21 pm »

Bobby, this is the part where you post links to strange european music videos.

No, this is the part where we link back to the Canadian Destroyer.
Logged

Tangle

  • Chucklebot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 2
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 102
  • hurry boy, she's waiting there for you
    • View Profile
    • She was born on 2 June 2006.
Re: How are you Gentlemen
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2006, 07:38:26 pm »

No, this is the part where we link back to the Canadian Destroyer.
GOD DAMN, that's... GOD DAMN. Mayhaps I ought to get me some TNA.

Tell you the truth, I'm probably 2-3 months behind in WWE wrestling... should try to find the time to catch up. Anything happen lately that's worth watching?

And speaking of music videos, the only thing anyone really needs is Yatta. Not European, but hey. C'mon. If you haven't seen it, google it now.

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: How are you Gentlemen
« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2006, 08:15:14 pm »

If you have Flash and 30 minutes to kill check out TNA's 2005 MotY from Unbreakable. It's a triple threat for the X Division Title. "The Samoan Submission Machine" Samoa Joe (undefeated in TNA, former 14-month ROH Champ) vs. "The Phenomenal" A.J. Styles (only double Triple Crown winner and 2 time Mr. TNA) vs. "The Fallen Angel" Christopher Daniels (longest reigning X Champ).

There's also the 2004 MotY. America's Most Wanted (PWI 2004 tag team of the year) vs. Triple X in the first ever Six Sides of Steel. Losers can never team again in TNA. These teams had been feuding off and on for something like 2 years and faught in TNA's first cage match in summer '03. This one is worth watching for the part with the "please don't die" chant alone. AMW is "Wildcat" Chris Harris and "Tennessee Cowboy" James Storm. XXX is "Primetime" Elix Skipper and "The Fallen Angel" Christopher Daniels. XXX's 3rd member, Low Ki, had left TNA for Ring of Honor at this point.

Starting in March people with non-US ISP's can stream TNA pay-per-views from tnawrestling.com so that's something to look forward to. Especially because the March PPV is Destination X which always features an Ultimate X match. It's like a ladder match in that the title is suspended from the rafters but no ladders are allowed. Instead there are two red cables forming an X over the ring to so win you have to climb one of the corner posts up the scaffolding to the cable, then shimmy out to the title in the middle of the ring.

WWE is not looking so good right now. Somebody pretty enexpected won the Royal Rumble but is putting his guaranteed WM title show on the line at No Way Out on Sunday vs. Randy Orton and word is that Orton will win. The person Rey is feuding with has cut several promos saying that Eddie is watching him from hell.
Logged

sunnystar

  • Chucklebot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 0
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 106
    • View Profile
    • Pictures, Words, and Stuff
Re: How are you Gentlemen
« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2006, 11:33:22 pm »

Welcome Tangle! But this is the last you'll probably hear from me in this thread as it is quickly turning the way of wrestling talk, and I cannot and will not participate (what would I say?!). So again, welcome, and maybe someday we shall meet again in a less wrestling filled place.
Logged
Never be too pessimistic - you think the worst, but it could really just be a sequined drag queen.
 -side_show-

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: How are you Gentlemen
« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2006, 11:40:42 pm »

maybe someday we shall meet again in a less wrestling filled place.

Probably not.

~Paul
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

sunnystar

  • Chucklebot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 0
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 106
    • View Profile
    • Pictures, Words, and Stuff
Re: How are you Gentlemen
« Reply #12 on: February 16, 2006, 11:42:40 pm »

Probably not.

~Paul

Sad, but possibly true. At least I can count on running into you, Paul, me dear, again in other less wrestling filled places!
Logged
Never be too pessimistic - you think the worst, but it could really just be a sequined drag queen.
 -side_show-

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: How are you Gentlemen
« Reply #13 on: February 17, 2006, 12:25:21 am »

Sad, but possibly true. At least I can count on running into you, Paul, me dear, again in other less wrestling filled places!

Only if you count Roller Derby as less wrestling filled.
Logged

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: How are you Gentlemen
« Reply #14 on: February 17, 2006, 04:32:10 am »

Only if you count Roller Derby as less wrestling filled.

Zing!!!

~Paul
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up