Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Did you know...
that the best way to sound like a noob here is to ask what the Tiny Cans of Dr. Pepper are about?

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Christian Porn  (Read 12581 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

V-Adore

  • Guest
Re: Christian Porn
« Reply #15 on: February 21, 2006, 02:00:42 pm »

If porn were that harmless to you, it should bother you not one bit to see your parents, or friends, or sisters, or children involved in it. But to most people, that isn't the case. Not because of the activities but because of the complete and utter divorcement from intimacy that porn really creates.

Well, uh... maybe this is because, as previously established, I'm a godless Commie, but it wouldn't bother me particularly presuming that the friend/loved one involved was otherwise content. I would be upset if they were in a bad situation because of porn, but I'd be upset if they were in a bad situation because of any other occupation, too. If they were happy and not otherwise in a non-life-affirming situation, what's the problem?

I'll freely agree that the modern American pornographic-movie industry is not generally life-affirming and overall pretty screwed up. However, I don't think this necessarily implies that porn as a medium is intrinsically flawed. I think to some degree or another it's instinctual: given that sex is pleasurable for most people, watching/looking at/listening to/reading about people having sex is probably also going to be a vicarious pleasure for most people. What's wrong with that? Hell, I'd argue that in some ways porn allows a safe outlet for urges that might otherwise be expressed poorly elsewhere -- by, say, getting into a meaningless and emotionally painful sexual relationship or forcing your current relationship into sexual places your partner doesn't want to go to. Certainly there are people who have problems with pornography, but I don't think it's any more intrinsically sinful than any other depiction of human behavior.
Logged

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: Christian Porn
« Reply #16 on: February 21, 2006, 02:13:28 pm »

I wouldn't want to see my parents, or friends, or sisters, or children involved in waste management. But mainly because then I'd have to smell them.
Logged

AlohaDawg

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 79
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4184
  • Crawlin' back to prosperity
    • View Profile
Re: Christian Porn
« Reply #17 on: February 21, 2006, 05:58:19 pm »

Well, uh... maybe this is because, as previously established, I'm a godless Commie, but it wouldn't bother me particularly presuming that the friend/loved one involved was otherwise content. I would be upset if they were in a bad situation because of porn, but I'd be upset if they were in a bad situation because of any other occupation, too. If they were happy and not otherwise in a non-life-affirming situation, what's the problem?

I'll freely agree that the modern American pornographic-movie industry is not generally life-affirming and overall pretty screwed up. However, I don't think this necessarily implies that porn as a medium is intrinsically flawed. I think to some degree or another it's instinctual: given that sex is pleasurable for most people, watching/looking at/listening to/reading about people having sex is probably also going to be a vicarious pleasure for most people. What's wrong with that? Hell, I'd argue that in some ways porn allows a safe outlet for urges that might otherwise be expressed poorly elsewhere -- by, say, getting into a meaningless and emotionally painful sexual relationship or forcing your current relationship into sexual places your partner doesn't want to go to. Certainly there are people who have problems with pornography, but I don't think it's any more intrinsically sinful than any other depiction of human behavior.

Here's the difference I think: Christians acknowledge that the world and humanity is deeply flawed due to original sin and the affordance of evil in the world through the devices of Satan. There are a lot of symptoms of this. I mean, if your family members were drug addicts but doing OK and were themselves fine with it, or rational yet suicidal that would be OK too, assuming the same logic (and possiblly, OK with you as well - I'm not speaking for you here).

Most thinking Christians I know try to understand the world and our place in it, understanding that God gave us reason, the ability to love, free will, and the ability to make choices. We acknowledge the presence of evil and sin and try to place ourselves closer to God through avoiding opportunities to go against our understanding of God's desires for us, prayer, and taking our sincere faith and beliefs to others in the context of sharing God's love to the world in (best case) a non-judgmental way. The problem is that Christians are part of the flawed world and are themselves flawed, so of course it's not perfect.

The need for pornography is (in my and many others opinion) a symptom of the much bigger issue. The world today is far too attuned to empty escapism. My friend Mark refers to it as a "God-shaped hole". People try to fill that hole with whatever they can find. Addiction, sex, bad relationships, pornography, behaviors - even education, hyper rationalism, or art - (positive things as well as negative things)  lots of people out there are searching for something and for many, a real faith in God and hope for life and the world really gives them the clarity to get away from the bad stuff they are into.





« Last Edit: February 21, 2006, 09:18:27 pm by AlohaDawg »
Logged

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Christian Porn
« Reply #18 on: February 21, 2006, 06:41:31 pm »

Dawg i'm not going to try to go toe to toe with you because you are much more eloquent than I and you know your subject matter too well.  But c'mon, i'm trying to start a Christian Porn business here, you're really spoiling all the fun.

How's this for a plotline.  Replace the pizza boy with an Elder.  He is greeted at the door by a beautiful but unsaved young lady.  He tells her the good word about LDS.  Then we have a montage scene of them falling in love, her becoming a mormon and then them being married. End montage.  Next scene is the happy couple on their honeymoon where they comence to fuckin'.  Final scene, shows them holding their newborn baby showing it to their friends.  It's like an instructional video on how you should live your life.

~Paul
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

AlohaDawg

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 79
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4184
  • Crawlin' back to prosperity
    • View Profile
Re: Christian Porn
« Reply #19 on: February 21, 2006, 09:14:32 pm »



How's this for a plotline.  Replace the pizza boy with an Elder.... 

~Paul

Now you're gonna open the debate about whether LDS are Christians. Some folks would fight you hard on that one. On the other hand, if you have not seen 'Orgazmo' I highly recommend it. It, at least, combines LDS and Porn in a pretty funny way.
Logged

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Christian Porn
« Reply #20 on: February 21, 2006, 09:43:30 pm »

On the other hand, if you have not seen 'Orgazmo' I highly recommend it. It, at least, combines LDS and Porn in a pretty funny way.

People, this is why you have to love AlohaDawg.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: Christian Porn
« Reply #21 on: February 21, 2006, 09:54:32 pm »

Dawg i'm not going to try to go toe to toe with you because you are much more eloquent than I and you know your subject matter too well.  But c'mon, i'm trying to start a Christian Porn business here, you're really spoiling all the fun.

How's this for a plotline.  Replace the pizza boy with an Elder.  He is greeted at the door by a beautiful but unsaved young lady.  He tells her the good word about LDS.  Then we have a montage scene of them falling in love, her becoming a mormon and then them being married. End montage.  Next scene is the happy couple on their honeymoon where they comence to fuckin'.  Final scene, shows them holding their newborn baby showing it to their friends.  It's like an instructional video on how you should live your life.

They couldn't have a kid on the first try. Then the movie would be like 20 minutes long. They need to try several times before they realize it'll never work if she doesn't stop swallowing and that inviting 12 of the husband's closest friends to join in isn't really helping matters.
Logged

Carlos del Vaca

  • The Mayor
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1316
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5007
  • Greetings from Banana Town
    • View Profile
    • bigfool.com
Re: Christian Porn
« Reply #22 on: February 21, 2006, 10:05:50 pm »

They couldn't have a kid on the first try. Then the movie would be like 20 minutes long.

You sure?  I had figured the sex scene would be strictly missionary, and last maybe 30 seconds.
Logged
My friends call me the Mayor.
My enemies don't call me anything.  'Cuz they're all dead.

AlohaDawg

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 79
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4184
  • Crawlin' back to prosperity
    • View Profile
Re: Christian Porn
« Reply #23 on: February 21, 2006, 11:15:03 pm »

Dawg i'm not going to try to go toe to toe with you because you are much more eloquent than I and you know your subject matter too well.  But c'mon, i'm trying to start a Christian Porn business here, you're really spoiling all the fun.

Here's your anti-porn, Paul. I think you'll like it..
Logged

Drygioni

  • formerly Judy
  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 194
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1796
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK
Re: Christian Porn
« Reply #24 on: February 21, 2006, 11:26:03 pm »

Oh, that's just fantastic. It reminds me of Christian heavy metal, what with the whole 'we only do this to appeal to others about Jesus and show them Christianity is anything but restricting!' gig. And isn't calling themselves JC's girls blasphemous somehow? And does Christian heavy metal even exist?
Logged
I am sorry for my behaviour last night.

misterqueue

  • Sick Fuck
  • VIP
  • R I S O T T O ?
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 25
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 2011
  • I can do anything I want. And so can you.
    • View Profile
    • A Reason for Diseasin'
Re: Christian Porn
« Reply #25 on: February 21, 2006, 11:43:08 pm »

Oh, that's just fantastic. It reminds me of Christian heavy metal, what with the whole 'we only do this to appeal to others about Jesus and show them Christianity is anything but restricting!' gig. And isn't calling themselves JC's girls blasphemous somehow? And does Christian heavy metal even exist?

christian metal isn't NEARLY as funny as christian DEATH metal.


"Killing for jesus!  Kill for jesus!  LetalloftheblasphemersDIIIIiiiie!"
Logged
So it's satire, is it?  Well that changes everything!

Lockjaw is serious times.

AlohaDawg

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 79
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4184
  • Crawlin' back to prosperity
    • View Profile
Re: Christian Porn
« Reply #26 on: February 22, 2006, 12:09:04 am »

Oh, that's just fantastic. It reminds me of Christian heavy metal, what with the whole 'we only do this to appeal to others about Jesus and show them Christianity is anything but restricting!' gig.

1) And isn't calling themselves JC's girls blasphemous somehow?

2) And does Christian heavy metal even exist?


1) No. Why?

2) probably. And it might suck. I'm pretty sure I would hate it.  But you put your message out in every language and medium. Someone will hear it.
Logged

V-Adore

  • Guest
Re: Christian Porn
« Reply #27 on: February 22, 2006, 02:25:05 am »

Just so that I can agree with 'Dawg on something:

Orgazmo is a lovely movie. It's both extremely raunchy and, somehow, one of the most respectful depictions of the Mormons I've ever seen on film outside of an LDS commercial. It really showcases that comedic talent that the South Park guys can really bring to bear occasionally -- extreme, and yet somehow not disgusting or offensive, just funny. Great, great movie.

(Also, it involves Trey Parker hitting on Matt Stone, or possibly the other way around.)
Logged

misterqueue

  • Sick Fuck
  • VIP
  • R I S O T T O ?
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 25
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 2011
  • I can do anything I want. And so can you.
    • View Profile
    • A Reason for Diseasin'
Re: Christian Porn
« Reply #28 on: February 22, 2006, 02:45:50 am »

(Also, it involves Trey Parker hitting on Matt Stone, or possibly the other way around.)

...but I think unicorns are KICK ASS!
Logged
So it's satire, is it?  Well that changes everything!

Lockjaw is serious times.

miles

  • Stinkfist
  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10030
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3476
    • View Profile
    • Last.fm
Re: Christian Porn
« Reply #29 on: February 22, 2006, 05:16:57 am »

I guess we own Orgazmo, but I haven't seen it yet.

Someone once told me that there is a sub-genre of gay porn based entirely on mormon missionaries.  In fact, it was a close friend who told me this.  His gay friend told him about it shortly before my friend went on a mormon mission.
Logged
Order is indeed the dream of man, but chaos, which is only another word for dumb, blind, witless chance, is still the law of nature. - Wallace Stegner
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up