Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

"Okay, Okay, enough of all that. New strip Wednesday afternoon. "  See, we shoulda took bets.

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: The Magical Fruit...  (Read 7451 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Re: The Magical Fruit...
« Reply #30 on: February 22, 2006, 11:22:50 pm »

Were you going for Magical Fruit like Jack in the Beanstalk or did you mean to write Musical Fruit?  I mean because Jack had the magic beans, but beans are the Musical Fruit.

~Paul

Yeah, I meant Musical.  I have a raging head cold right now.  I was actually almost in tears last night when my SO brought home tissues without added lotion.  He was sweet enought to go back to exchange them with ones with lotion.

Anyway, yeah, I'm not really interested in the meat dishes.  I have about a million chili recipies. 

Carlos - did you make the been dip from the site you recommended without the bacon?  Was it tasty?  The reviews below the recipie seem sort of negative. 

Hobo and Mr. Q:  I've heard of Rice and Beans, as a food dish, and I've always connected it with Southern cooking for some reason.  But isn't that just...rice and beans?  If so, it sounds really bland to me.  How do you guys make it?
« Last Edit: February 22, 2006, 11:26:03 pm by side_show »
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

AlohaDawg

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 79
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4184
  • Crawlin' back to prosperity
    • View Profile
Re: The Magical Fruit...
« Reply #31 on: February 22, 2006, 11:24:38 pm »

Yeah, I meant Musical.  I have a raging head cold right now.  I was actually almost in tears last night when my SO brought home tissues without added lotion.  He was sweet enought to go back to exchange them with ones with lotion.

Anyway, yeah, I'm not really interested in the meat dishes.  Carlos - did you make the been dip from the site you recommended without the bacon?  Was it tasty?


Not interested in eating the meat? You should send him back for tissues with EXTRA lotion.
Logged

Carlos del Vaca

  • The Mayor
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1316
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5007
  • Greetings from Banana Town
    • View Profile
    • bigfool.com
Re: The Magical Fruit...
« Reply #32 on: February 23, 2006, 03:41:47 pm »

Carlos - did you make the been dip from the site you recommended without the bacon?  Was it tasty?  The reviews below the recipie seem sort of negative. 

Hell yes I included the bacon.  Bacon tastes good.
Logged
My friends call me the Mayor.
My enemies don't call me anything.  'Cuz they're all dead.

lprkn

  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 244
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1907
  • Hella yellin' about the sex
    • View Profile
Re: The Magical Fruit...
« Reply #33 on: February 24, 2006, 10:20:13 pm »

Hell yes I included the bacon.  Bacon tastes good.

So do porkchops, from what I've heard.
Logged

Lister

  • Teodor
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 101
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 892
  • 2, 4, 6, 8, time to transubstantiate!
    • View Profile
Re: The Magical Fruit...
« Reply #34 on: February 27, 2006, 09:10:46 pm »

Between Houston and San Antonio lies the little town of Weimer.  Weimer is the home of Kasper's Meat Market.  Kaspers makes the best sausage on the planet.  This sausage is like treasure, it's so good.  Whenever I pass through Weimer I gotta stop at Kaspers.  Commuting between Houston and San Antonio these past two months have given me a lot of opportunity to stop at Kaspers.  So much in fact that I have had to cut back on Kaspers  lest I throw my diet straight out the window.  So I'm putting sausage in every recipe I can think of, Sausage and Peppers, Sausage and Saurkraut, Sausage and Turkey Spaghetti (twice), and of course the old stalwart, pinto beans and sausage.  I'd show you what the beans and sausage looked like, but apparently only the saurkraut and the sausage with peppers were deemed photogenic.

~Paul

Random weird internet coincidence: One of my friends from school is from Weimer, and insisted that I stop there and eat at the barbecue place located inside the Shell off the interstate.  He was SO RIGHT, and this sausage is one of the reasons why.  The beef is also delicious.

This has been a complete non-sequitur.  I don't know how to cook beans without involving at least chicken stock.
Logged
Lister.  Not that one, the other one.

swinehund

  • Chucklebot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 140
  • you cannot defeat me, I wear the mask of vulcan
    • View Profile
    • blaagh
Re: The Magical Fruit...
« Reply #35 on: April 07, 2006, 05:48:56 pm »

Oh man. Is so outdated, but you didn't actually get many recipes. I have one for you.

about 2 cups of cooked black beans (2/3 cup from dry)*
1-3 cloves raw garlic
1 roasted red pepper (just toss it on a hot pan or skillet until the skin chars and blisters, cool, and pick as much of the skin off as you can)
3 tbs. sunflower seeds
3-4 tbs lime juice
1/2 tsp cumin
sriracha (rooster sauce) to taste, or chili powder
salt to taste

Blend all that shit in a food processor, or mince it finely by hand if you're masochistic/ have no blender. I recommend doing the garlic and seeds first. Add enough water to make it go if it bungs up. If you are serving it in a fancy manner, garnish it with a couple sprigs of fresh cilantro.

*To avoid farting from beans, rinse them as much as possible. Either out of the can, or change the water several times in the cooking process. A decent way to cook beans is to soak them overnight (but pick them over first for stones on a big plate), then change the water and boil, covered, on medium heat for at least 2 hours. Don't add any salt or lemon juice while they're cooking, this will keep them hard. A pressure cooker makes this a lot faster (and your beans softer). It will include instructions on how to cook the beans.
Logged
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up