Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

How Does He Smell?

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: 24 February 2006 - Three-day Dutch fugue  (Read 11247 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: 24 February 2006 - Three-day Dutch fugue
« Reply #15 on: February 24, 2006, 02:09:37 pm »

Something bothers me now.

In the last strip, the Honky Tonk Blowjob Duder said:

"Oh, and I'll be takin' that little gang of yours with me. Give 'em a chance at fightin' under a real man."

Then today, Beef said:

"Now that you've kicked the ass of the only other army leader it looks like you're dining alone tomorrow"

Now, is it just me, or does something here not add up? Maybe my brain ain't wired right, but from what Honky Tonk said I understood that he wanted to take charge of Ray's army (against some other army) - but what Beef says sounds like the guy was already the leader of some other crew.

my brain asplode

Right. Beef and Cody each had an army to command but there are still lots of people out there who didn't join either side and are going it alone. I guess we'll have to see if Cody's army comes up with a new leader from within or just disintegrates.

I'm guessing the Tenmen's box has a hook on the top so the crane can pick them up and take them to safety after the show.
Logged

bonaparte

  • Dr. Kisses
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 3
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 35
    • View Profile
Re: 24 February 2006 - Three-day Dutch fugue
« Reply #16 on: February 24, 2006, 02:18:52 pm »

The injury crane coming to pick up the box at the end of their set...A team of guys all prying the wire off the box...The Tenmen just standing there staring, silently congragulating themselves on a good show...

As for the big question in this strip, does it seem weird to anyone else that a GOF champion would allow his son to be named Fauntleroy?  Or do these guys have a tradition of not being at all involved in their childrens' lives?  It explains so much!
Logged

V-Adore

  • Guest
Re: 24 February 2006 - Three-day Dutch fugue
« Reply #17 on: February 24, 2006, 02:23:00 pm »

To be fair,  Fauntleroy Brown's father was named Stanley; it's possible that they just came from a line of kung-fu accountants. It's also possible that "Fauntleroy" was his Fight nickname, picked up before the Fugue, when he was still perceived as a non-qualifying nancy boy coasting on his father's legacy. The possibilities are endless!

Have I mentioned that this is the best arc ever yet? Because it is. We have a graceful recovery of Ray's character, a continued deepening of Beef-as-Rorschach, a cameo from the Tenmen... glorious.
Logged

misterqueue

  • Sick Fuck
  • VIP
  • R I S O T T O ?
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 25
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 2011
  • I can do anything I want. And so can you.
    • View Profile
    • A Reason for Diseasin'
Re: 24 February 2006 - Three-day Dutch fugue
« Reply #18 on: February 24, 2006, 02:32:50 pm »

"A three day dutch fugue" was just added to my vocabulary. It's guaranteed to be the next phrase that I use in a public situation which will fall flat as soon as it leaves my lips.

also, does anyone else think that "The Tenmen" are the achewood analogue to "The Locust"?



See I always thought the Tenmen looked resemblant of the Aquabats.

When they play in my head though, they sound like what would happen if you took half a zygote from Pavement, Grandaddy, Echo and the Bunnymen, Devo, and mixed it up into a weird baby superband that was somehow made up of singing cats.  After I think about this too much I usually go and have a sandwich to come down.


They are all about Maaaaaaking love in a Limo on an Airplane on a Spaceship bound for Space which is why I love them because that is what I'm all about.

Once I get the limo.

And the airplane.

Oh and the spaceship....


some day
Logged
So it's satire, is it?  Well that changes everything!

Lockjaw is serious times.

Roger

  • Todd
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 22
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 311
  • Who watches the smiling fries?
    • View Profile
    • http://www.last.fm/user/rogermarmo/
Re: 24 February 2006 - Three-day Dutch fugue
« Reply #19 on: February 24, 2006, 02:43:37 pm »

So much awesome goodness. What a great way of finishing the week.

So I guess we can put the "hat with hell of properties" theory aside now.

And the Tenmen... it's amazing how they can rock that hard with one single snare drum. I uploaded the crate picture onto their page on Last.fm, so now we need 10 people to vote YES for it so it sticks.
Logged
Gabba Gabba Hegel!

BatzRadio

  • Dr. Kisses
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 39
  • Check the record, check the guy's rock record.
    • View Profile
    • http://batzradio.livejournal.com
Re: 24 February 2006 - Three-day Dutch fugue
« Reply #20 on: February 24, 2006, 02:54:05 pm »

Picking a nit here.

Alt-text says Ray's not much of a Tenmen fan...

Wha...?

Oh nevermind. I guess having them play is more of an image and hipsterism thing.

This strip was great, regardless.
Logged

Bobby Isosceles

  • Guest
Re: 24 February 2006 - Three-day Dutch fugue
« Reply #21 on: February 24, 2006, 02:58:30 pm »

I wonder what the comparative deadliness of a Dutch Fugue versus a Rock and Roll Shit Fugue is.
Logged

jcreed

  • Dr. Kisses
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 37
    • View Profile
    • http://jcreed.org
Re: 24 February 2006 - Three-day Dutch fugue
« Reply #22 on: February 24, 2006, 03:04:53 pm »

So I guess we can put the "hat with hell of properties" theory aside now.

I don't know, maybe it has the Properties, but after all these years it blinks in and out a little bit. That would be a god damned dangerous hat to have, all making you a stone thug one minute, all leaving you with your bloody hands and conscience the next.
Logged

Bobby Isosceles

  • Guest
Re: 24 February 2006 - Three-day Dutch fugue
« Reply #23 on: February 24, 2006, 03:08:50 pm »

"A three day dutch fugue" was just added to my vocabulary. It's guaranteed to be the next phrase that I use in a public situation which will fall flat as soon as it leaves my lips.

also, does anyone else think that "The Tenmen" are the achewood analogue to "The Locust"?


See, it's a Dutch fugue because the Dutch were Protestant and the French were Catholic, you see? Thus they are Fuguenots.

Education.
Logged

Hobot

  • DISK ONE OF SIX
  • Teodor
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 21
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 861
  • Appearing in a tortilla near you.
    • View Profile
    • Your music is inadequate.
Re: 24 February 2006 - Three-day Dutch fugue
« Reply #24 on: February 24, 2006, 03:46:30 pm »

People, we have been neglecting a seriously wonderful phrase in today's strip:

WITHOUT...EVER HAVIN' MUCH TO DO WITH HIS FISTS IN GENERAL.

Also, the use of "fugue" as a verb is giggle-worthy.
Logged
You had me at "I dig both ladies and fellows."

lprkn

  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 244
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1907
  • Hella yellin' about the sex
    • View Profile
Re: 24 February 2006 - Three-day Dutch fugue
« Reply #25 on: February 24, 2006, 03:50:31 pm »

"The Man With Blood On His Hands" has a slightly different shade to it now.

Out, damn spot!
Logged

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: 24 February 2006 - Three-day Dutch fugue
« Reply #26 on: February 24, 2006, 03:55:50 pm »

See, it's a Dutch fugue because the Dutch were Protestant and the French were Catholic, you see? Thus they are Fuguenots.

Education.

Boo to that.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

Emmoh

  • Chucklebot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 120
    • View Profile
    • Shameless
Re: 24 February 2006 - Three-day Dutch fugue
« Reply #27 on: February 24, 2006, 03:56:59 pm »

What a masterpiece. Onstad is right on top of the question of "old Ray" vs "GOF Ray", the internal conflict here transcends being a mere comic strip about funny talking cats and stuffed animals. My favorite part about this has to be that Beef saw this coming a mile away. His development in this arc is most interesting, as his character has been the one over the years that Onstad has most allowed to grow and change. I'm starting to believe he walks out of the GOF the winner, with help from Ray.

antioch

  • Chucklebot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 3
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 185
  • fuggedaboudit!
    • View Profile
    • Facehugger Records
Re: 24 February 2006 - Three-day Dutch fugue
« Reply #28 on: February 24, 2006, 04:12:23 pm »

Picking a nit here.

Alt-text says Ray's not much of a Tenmen fan...

Wha...?

The alt-text says alot of things. In fact, I think it was CANCEL due to NOT PROFITABLE a while ago.
Logged
I am older now.

Faze

  • Scrambles the Dog
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 5
    • View Profile
Re: 24 February 2006 - Three-day Dutch fugue
« Reply #29 on: February 24, 2006, 04:51:36 pm »

What if Beef is lying? What if that guy was not Cody Travis but just some cowboy-hatted macho dude, now horribly disfigured for life... possibly dead! I don't think it's something Beef would do, but it does strike me as I read the strip as something that could happen, with slightly different characters, a slightly different feel to the strip. Though, things are certainly different lately.

Also, this strip is just beautiful. I'd like to comment on the first panel, which takes some context to appreciate by itself but is wonderful. The crane all beeping away, leaving Ray with his thoughts. So good.
Logged
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up