Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood Crime drama, 1980: Magnum PI. 2005: NUMB3RS. One based on smiling and helicopters, one on showcasing higher math. Explain discrepancy.

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6   Go Down

Author Topic: Someone Actually Makes Garfield Vaguely Interesting  (Read 14756 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

misterqueue

  • Sick Fuck
  • VIP
  • R I S O T T O ?
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 25
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 2011
  • I can do anything I want. And so can you.
    • View Profile
    • A Reason for Diseasin'
Someone Actually Makes Garfield Vaguely Interesting
« on: February 27, 2006, 08:58:57 pm »

Arbuckle is a work where a bunch of artists are doing Garfield in a realistic style.  (That is to say, "Garfield" doesn't talk and everything tends to look a bit less cartoony.)

The interesting thing, I think, is that it turns from a comic about a "sassy" lazy cat with punchlines, to a story about a completely sad and lonely guy who's quite possibly delusional.


Which is, of course, waaaay more interesting methinks.
Logged
So it's satire, is it?  Well that changes everything!

Lockjaw is serious times.

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Someone Actually Makes Garfield Vaguely Interesting
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2006, 09:02:20 pm »

a story about a completely sad and lonely guy who's quite possibly delusional.


Which is, of course, waaaay more interesting methinks.

Gosh, I wonder why.   ;)
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

misterqueue

  • Sick Fuck
  • VIP
  • R I S O T T O ?
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 25
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 2011
  • I can do anything I want. And so can you.
    • View Profile
    • A Reason for Diseasin'
Re: Someone Actually Makes Garfield Vaguely Interesting
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2006, 09:03:55 pm »

We are always able to smell our own.


Speaking of which I have to feed my cat when I get home.
Logged
So it's satire, is it?  Well that changes everything!

Lockjaw is serious times.

Drygioni

  • formerly Judy
  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 194
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1796
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK
Re: Someone Actually Makes Garfield Vaguely Interesting
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2006, 09:07:17 pm »

I've seen this somewhere before, and it's no less funny now than it was then. Did Garfield actually ever talk to John anyway? Wasn't it was all thought bubbles, that implied Jon was some kind of psychic?
Logged
I am sorry for my behaviour last night.

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Re: Someone Actually Makes Garfield Vaguely Interesting
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2006, 09:16:05 pm »

I love this.  Love it.

I am so into the idea of adapting the old strips that I just might do.  Actually do it.

Also, as a kid I was totally crazy about Garfield.  And he definitly never spoke - it was all thought bubbles.
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

V-Adore

  • Guest
Re: Someone Actually Makes Garfield Vaguely Interesting
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2006, 09:18:19 pm »

I've seen this somewhere before, and it's no less funny now than it was then. Did Garfield actually ever talk to John anyway? Wasn't it was all thought bubbles, that implied Jon was some kind of psychic?

As far as I'm aware, going back to my old-school childhood Garfield-geek days, Garfield has never actually talked; all of his dialogue has always been in thought bubbles. This means one of two things:

1) Jon is an unusually good judge of Garfield's character, since he can have coherent one-sided conversations; or
2) The thought bubbles are Jon hallucinating or otherwise being delusional.

Anyway, this is a great concept. It's both more pitiful than the original and more endearing, since the behavior can actually be mapped to something a real cat would do. I'm intrigued to see if they attempt to render any of the strips that don't involve Jon at all, just to see how it'd end up working out. Along those lines already is this one, in which Jon's lack of dialogue turns things modern-artsy very, very fast.
Logged

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: Someone Actually Makes Garfield Vaguely Interesting
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2006, 09:34:52 pm »

Garfield did speak in one of the (text) books. It was revealed all cats can talk but they usually don't because then nobody would like them. This book is so obscure that the Garfield entry in wikipedia doesn't even mention it.

There was a Garfield Randomizer a few weeks ago that came down almost immediately. It would pull up 3 random Garfield panels which often made about as much sense as the regular strip. This inspired the Dinosaur Comics Randomizer which I believe is still up.

Then over at truthandbeautybombs.com  (the Dino Comics forum) they decided to do the Garfield Existentializer where they removed all animal thought bubbles so you got to see the strip from John's actual perspective. It was depressing as hell but I think they were forced to pull it down.
Logged

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Someone Actually Makes Garfield Vaguely Interesting
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2006, 10:24:55 pm »

It was revealed all cats can talk but they usually don't because then nobody would like them.

Eh, then they'd have to get jobs and pull their own damn weight, the lousy parasites.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

lprkn

  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 244
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1907
  • Hella yellin' about the sex
    • View Profile
Re: Someone Actually Makes Garfield Vaguely Interesting
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2006, 11:37:36 pm »

Remember, if you died, your cat would eat you. So make sure you feed it. A lot.
Logged

rumpy doppelganger

  • YOUR OLD FRIEND BLISTER
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 69
  • drang
    • View Profile
Logged
These kids are the next generation of superstars loaded with bags of crazy tricks. Watch while they ride tasty waves and catch big air just like the pros, it'll make your jaw drop! Kids Who Rip invit

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Re: Someone Actually Makes Garfield Vaguely Interesting
« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2006, 12:06:28 am »

Remember, if you died, your cat would eat you. So make sure you feed it. A lot.

But really, wouldn't it be better to not feed your cat a lot, so that, you know... they'd have less of an appetite in general?

My SO and I talk about this... perhaps more than we should, but there are three of them and two of us so, we worry.  We figure it would take some time for them.  He says it would take only 2-3 days!  I think it would take more than that - at least a week or more.  We've concluded one thing that we do agree on:  they'd probably start with our eye balls, being that they are soft and moist.
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

lprkn

  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 244
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1907
  • Hella yellin' about the sex
    • View Profile
Re: Someone Actually Makes Garfield Vaguely Interesting
« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2006, 01:52:15 am »

Apparently if you're stranded and you manage to catch a rabbit, you should make sure to eat the eyeballs, as they contain valuable electrolytes.

This is what someone who went to survival school told me. He also said the eyeballs taste really bad.
Logged

misterqueue

  • Sick Fuck
  • VIP
  • R I S O T T O ?
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 25
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 2011
  • I can do anything I want. And so can you.
    • View Profile
    • A Reason for Diseasin'
Re: Someone Actually Makes Garfield Vaguely Interesting
« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2006, 01:57:16 am »

Back in Scouts we had this thing called the Rangers.  I was in it one year and they were basically like the Navy Seals of Scouts.

Long story short I survived for a couple days off ants and sassafras leaves (which taste like orange peels).  I was not happy at all, this is not me.

I also cooked a potato in mud so it would not burn and heated an egg using a rock like a pan.  You have to make sure it isn't flint first though.


Did I mention I hated Scouts?
Logged
So it's satire, is it?  Well that changes everything!

Lockjaw is serious times.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Someone Actually Makes Garfield Vaguely Interesting
« Reply #13 on: February 28, 2006, 04:42:48 am »

oh man, sassafras! the only plant I can identify!

didn't it make your spit all wierd?
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

misterqueue

  • Sick Fuck
  • VIP
  • R I S O T T O ?
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 25
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 2011
  • I can do anything I want. And so can you.
    • View Profile
    • A Reason for Diseasin'
Re: Someone Actually Makes Garfield Vaguely Interesting
« Reply #14 on: February 28, 2006, 04:49:55 am »

Yes.. but I don't think anyone on here really wants me to describe my spit.


Remember: Football, Ghost, Mitten.  That's how you know it's sassafras.
Logged
So it's satire, is it?  Well that changes everything!

Lockjaw is serious times.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6   Go Up