Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Trains are saying "hello".  All this time, we just snub them.

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6   Go Down

Author Topic: Someone Actually Makes Garfield Vaguely Interesting  (Read 14694 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Doc

  • Growing Cucumbers of Impressive Dimensions
  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1408
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5017
  • an emergency backup pug
    • View Profile
Re: Someone Actually Makes Garfield Vaguely Interesting
« Reply #45 on: March 02, 2006, 12:56:23 pm »

One of my (more dickish) friends in high school was in scouts, actually when i knew him he was in the next thing up for older folks called 'venturers' (this is the australian organisation which I doubt bears much resemblance in structure to the american, but maybe it does) which means they still basically did hiking and stuff, just by themselves instead of with a vageuly unsettling guy in his late thirties.
They were generally pretty decent geeky people though the only time I met them was when I went to lan parties they had at the scout den. Good lan parties though.

Actually on reflection the guy I knew was probably the worst person in that group: totally anal retentive, chauvanistic yet full of knee jerk feminist propaganda which he inherited from his mother, a not overly bright intellectual elitist (he liked to say 'that's bunk' far more often than was healthy or accurate) who once told me he didn't think the theory that the universe will eventually expand and cool completely was true because it depressed him.

Damn, turns out I've still got some highschool angst there.
Logged
Inev: 'A lot of things are ridiculous if you think about them long enough, you know?'

Gimpson

  • King of the Make-Outs
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 16
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 592
    • View Profile
    • http://www.gimpysoft.com
Re: Someone Actually Makes Garfield Vaguely Interesting
« Reply #46 on: March 02, 2006, 05:31:33 pm »

one of my friends went to a summer program for future doctors.
she dissected a person.

this horrifies me.

We had two cadavers in my high school Anatomy & Physiology class.  This didn't strike me as odd until I got to college and realized I was the only one whose school did this. 
Logged

Emergent_C

  • Chucklebot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 153
    • View Profile
Re: Someone Actually Makes Garfield Vaguely Interesting
« Reply #47 on: March 02, 2006, 07:02:39 pm »

What would've been cool is if you'd had them in English class, to enhance the experience of studying such as "The Tell-Tale Heart" or "As I Lay Dying" or whatnot.
Logged
now I know that being in trouble is a fake idea

Hobot

  • DISK ONE OF SIX
  • Teodor
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 21
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 861
  • Appearing in a tortilla near you.
    • View Profile
    • Your music is inadequate.
Re: Someone Actually Makes Garfield Vaguely Interesting
« Reply #48 on: March 02, 2006, 07:34:55 pm »

What would've been cool is if you'd had them in English class, to enhance the experience of studying such as "The Tell-Tale Heart" or "As I Lay Dying" or whatnot.

Then, if the teacher really got into it, you could get tons of corpses and recreate the final scene of "Hamlet" or go fuck*n' crazy with "Titus Andronicus"! 

The possibilities are endless, and the opportunity is YOURS.
Logged
You had me at "I dig both ladies and fellows."

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Someone Actually Makes Garfield Vaguely Interesting
« Reply #49 on: March 02, 2006, 10:45:28 pm »

man...
speaking as the only boy in my bio class who couldn't deal with dissecting a foetal pig...
dissecting a human body is maximum gross out.
that is the most a man can possibly be grossed out

I am not proud.

But I am proud to not be the kid who thought it would be cool to break open the skull of the pig to look at the brain.
that kid was not fun.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

Drygioni

  • formerly Judy
  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 194
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1796
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK
Re: Someone Actually Makes Garfield Vaguely Interesting
« Reply #50 on: March 02, 2006, 11:39:27 pm »

From Garfield to Scouts to dissection! This is evolution.

No matter how ill it may be to dissect real human bodies, it is far more terrible dissecting one, single eye. As if the bits of still attached face, spurting of black eye fluids and the thoughts of 'wow it must really hurt to have your eyeballs sliced up, Un Chien Andalucia style' weren't enough, our teacher refused to tell us where the eyeball came from.

My eyeball was a rather fetching pretty hazel, and I someday hope to find out if it belonged to a real human girl/boy, so I can dream about gazing lovingly into their eye(s). It was the most beautiful eye I had ever seen. It probably belonged to a cow, though.
Logged
I am sorry for my behaviour last night.

AlohaDawg

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 79
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4184
  • Crawlin' back to prosperity
    • View Profile
Re: Someone Actually Makes Garfield Vaguely Interesting
« Reply #51 on: March 03, 2006, 12:19:37 am »

But I am proud to not be the kid who thought it would be cool to break open the skull of the pig to look at the brain.
that kid was not fun.

Only a real weirdo would enjoy it. I didn't 'enjoy' it but it was pretty interesting and educational.

I would fliunk a kid who completely refused.  I would try to find some compromise, though.

 You don't have a right to not be grossed out or uncomfortable. SOmetimes that's what life hands you.
Logged

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Someone Actually Makes Garfield Vaguely Interesting
« Reply #52 on: March 03, 2006, 12:35:04 am »

None of that stuff is half as scary and discomfiting as Hobot's new avatar.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Someone Actually Makes Garfield Vaguely Interesting
« Reply #53 on: March 03, 2006, 12:39:35 am »

dawg-- to clarify: I didn't refuse to be involved. I poked around and pointed out the organs we were supposed to find.  I just refused to do the actual cutting up of baby pig.

the teacher said he wouldn't let us actually sit out and not participate completely unless we were vegetarians. I eat meat, so, I participated.
I mean, seeing the organs and such was interesting. But the act of cutting up the pig really bothered me.

anyway...
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

misterqueue

  • Sick Fuck
  • VIP
  • R I S O T T O ?
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 25
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 2011
  • I can do anything I want. And so can you.
    • View Profile
    • A Reason for Diseasin'
Re: Someone Actually Makes Garfield Vaguely Interesting
« Reply #54 on: March 03, 2006, 01:03:08 am »

None of that stuff is half as scary and discomfiting as Hobot's new avatar.

Don't you dare mock her new avatar.


Seriously, I will cut you esse....

The tortilla commands it!
Logged
So it's satire, is it?  Well that changes everything!

Lockjaw is serious times.

Hobot

  • DISK ONE OF SIX
  • Teodor
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 21
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 861
  • Appearing in a tortilla near you.
    • View Profile
    • Your music is inadequate.
Re: Someone Actually Makes Garfield Vaguely Interesting
« Reply #55 on: March 03, 2006, 02:16:58 am »

dawg-- to clarify: I didn't refuse to be involved. I poked around and pointed out the organs we were supposed to find.  I just refused to do the actual cutting up of baby pig.

the teacher said he wouldn't let us actually sit out and not participate completely unless we were vegetarians. I eat meat, so, I participated.
I mean, seeing the organs and such was interesting. But the act of cutting up the pig really bothered me.

anyway...

I am a vegan and I dissected the fetal pig.  Highlights included: the fact that it had eyelashes, which made it seem somehow more like an ex-living creature than a rubbery, smelly prop; forcing the jaw to break so we could see the back of its mouth and its throat; digested food in the intestine; and trying to crack the skull to see the brain but, failing that, scraping away at the skull with a scalpel for a period of time.

My reasons for dissecting were that I am a Bio major and need to be mature about these kinds of things, and that the pig would only have been thrown away if not used for scientific purposes and would therefore have died completely in vain (you don't get much more "in vain" than a baby pig in a dumpster).

The supply of fetal pigs, if you were not aware, is dictated by the pork market (apparently there is such a thing; because economics makes me have seizures of boredom, I did not know this).  Pigs are slaughtered when the price is right, whether or not they are pregnant.  Since people don't want to eat fetal pig, there is no use for the fetuses, and they are discarded.  This is the way of the wasteful, wasteful world.
Logged
You had me at "I dig both ladies and fellows."

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Someone Actually Makes Garfield Vaguely Interesting
« Reply #56 on: March 03, 2006, 02:59:36 am »

what made me sad was the slice taken out of its shoulder.
one slice. bam.

yeah, I mean, it wasn't that I was morally against it. I just have a really weak stomach.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

robot_god

  • roast beef (the middle cat)
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 74
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1195
  • Oh my gosh, dude.
    • View Profile
    • ALP Myspace Site
Re: Someone Actually Makes Garfield Vaguely Interesting
« Reply #57 on: March 03, 2006, 03:02:31 am »

In two weeks I begin the second half of a biomed lab III in which, until the end of the semester, will be nothing but injecting live mice with drugs.  The last lab of the series features a lab where you inject mice with a drug to induce a seizure, then inject a drug to halt the seizure.  Pretty effed up.  I'm not looking forward to it, but 'bite the apple and fuck the whore' as my dad claims was the saying in the Marines.

Biomed II was cutting up all kinds of things, mostly rats and assorted other organs from various animals.  The first week it seemed pretty nasty, because the rats were so yellow, but by the end of that class, not a single person would be unwilling to cut anything or anyone.

Lots of interesting moments in that lab, mostly provided by the lab assistants doing inadvertently wacky things.  One dude trying to expose bronchial tubes of sheep lungs, trying to pull the tubes out, pretty tough to tear them out, pieces of lung flying left and right all over the place.  Some girl accidentally snipping off a rat's c*ck.  Searching for rat clit with a tweezer.  Displaying exit points of  sheep heart blood vessels by fingering.  Tight little thing, that is, you really got to work it...
Logged
ACHIEVE

robot_roll_call

  • Lie Bot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 3
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 331
  • That's one o!
    • View Profile
Re: Someone Actually Makes Garfield Vaguely Interesting
« Reply #58 on: March 03, 2006, 09:23:12 pm »

Finally! A thread I can relate to!

2 of my better friends are Eagle Scouts. One of them has the most overbearing mother in the world, so that's one way to become an eagle scout.

I was a scout from Tiger Cubs all the way up to...I think Life Scout? The patch with the heart on it? 2 year running Pinewood Derby champ, motherfuckers. Although it's really a competition to see who's dad can make the best car, and my dad was in engineering at the time. So my car went down that ramp like a rocket pig on grease, all setting everyone else's doorstops on fire, all breaking the land speed wood car record. Those were the days!

I was maybe a year from getting my Eagle, and I quit because I hated camping, and because the new leader was a total prick. So there goes your hypothesis, V. Although I also quit Tae Kwon Do when I had my red belt (1 away from Black) because I hated it and I was terrible at it. So I guess I have a habit of quitting things 3/4 of the way in.

I've dissected a lot of gross things in my life. One time I had to dissect a dog heart. Being a dumb kid, I held it with my bare hands. Gross.
Logged
Did you know that Achewood is literary.

pmcd9

  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Someone Actually Makes Garfield Vaguely Interesting
« Reply #59 on: March 03, 2006, 09:42:33 pm »

2 of my better friends are Eagle Scouts. One of them has the most overbearing mother in the world, so that's one way to become an eagle scout.

The Eagle Scout that I knew was totally driven by his Mother.  Totally.  I was in Cub Scouts for a year and she was my Den Mother.  She would brag on him incessantly.  She continued bragging on him long after he became a drain on society.  Last I heard he (along with his Father and one of his Brothers) was in prison for some kind of bad nastiness.  I can't remember exactly what it was they were into.  Something about insurance fraud involving arson and manslaughter.  I wonder if she is still bragging?

~Paul
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6   Go Up