Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you criticize them, you are a mile away from them and you have their shoes.

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6   Go Down

Author Topic: Someone Actually Makes Garfield Vaguely Interesting  (Read 14758 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Someone Actually Makes Garfield Vaguely Interesting
« Reply #60 on: March 03, 2006, 10:06:06 pm »

*****_roll_call-- yeah. the year me and my dad actually made the car, it was horrible. Then, our neighbor who had some kind of fancy electric saw thing helped us. that car was magic. I think I still have it in my closet.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

V-Adore

  • Guest
Re: Someone Actually Makes Garfield Vaguely Interesting
« Reply #61 on: March 04, 2006, 04:49:25 am »

Only a real weirdo would enjoy it.

I enjoy cracking open skulls and looking at brains. I've done live rat decap-and-inspects, and while they are gross and unnerving and strange, I am grateful to have had the experience.

You can't make a coherent field of study dedicated to the brain without cracking a few skulls.
Logged

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Someone Actually Makes Garfield Vaguely Interesting
« Reply #62 on: March 04, 2006, 05:01:01 pm »

I've done live rat decap-and-inspects

Oh man, I had no idea there was such a thing.  Next time I am apologizing to the mice for killing them, I will tell them to be thankful at least that I am not doing this.

It does sound kind of cool though.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Someone Actually Makes Garfield Vaguely Interesting
« Reply #63 on: March 04, 2006, 09:23:48 pm »

my biology teacher met his wife dissecting frogs.
they had to mash frog's brains while the frog was still alive (I guess they left the brain stem functioning, so the heart would still beat, etc.).
She didn't have the stomach for it, so he'd do it for her.

ah, young love...
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

V-Adore

  • Guest
Re: Someone Actually Makes Garfield Vaguely Interesting
« Reply #64 on: March 04, 2006, 09:33:54 pm »

Oh man, I had no idea there was such a thing.  Next time I am apologizing to the mice for killing them, I will tell them to be thankful at least that I am not doing this.

It does sound kind of cool though.

WARNING: DETAILS ABOUT RAT-KILLING FOLLOW




It is sorta cool.

The deal is that, in most situations, you first use a CO2 chamber to gas the rats to death or deep unconsciousness, then decapitate for study. However, with some experiments you're looking at brain chemistry, and death by CO2 disrupts chemical balances in the brain and thus destroys your data; therefore, for experiments like that, you need to do a direct decapitation. Everyone hates doing this, but it's necessary and it's interesting.
Logged

AlohaDawg

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 79
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4184
  • Crawlin' back to prosperity
    • View Profile
Re: Someone Actually Makes Garfield Vaguely Interesting
« Reply #65 on: March 05, 2006, 03:08:01 am »

WARNING: DETAILS ABOUT RAT-KILLING FOLLOW




It is sorta cool.

The deal is that, in most situations, you first use a CO2 chamber to gas the rats to death or deep unconsciousness, then decapitate for study. However, with some experiments you're looking at brain chemistry, and death by CO2 disrupts chemical balances in the brain and thus destroys your data; therefore, for experiments like that, you need to do a direct decapitation. Everyone hates doing this, but it's necessary and it's interesting.

And, I hope, to most people, 'yucky-but-necessary' rather than 'enjoyable-and-sexually-arousing'.
Logged

V-Adore

  • Guest
Re: Someone Actually Makes Garfield Vaguely Interesting
« Reply #66 on: March 05, 2006, 03:19:46 am »

And, I hope, to most people, 'yucky-but-necessary' rather than 'enjoyable-and-sexually-arousing'.

You say that like those are mutually exclusive!

Er, seriously, though: I would be lying if I said that there wasn't any enjoyment in the process, and it's not of the Nice-Pete-ish variety. Theoretical exercises are all well and good, but eventually one has to confront the actual brain of a living being. It... regrounds one in what exactly all of this science is for.
Logged

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Someone Actually Makes Garfield Vaguely Interesting
« Reply #67 on: March 05, 2006, 06:24:30 am »

so:
the purpose of all the science is to know what you're doing when you decapitate a rat.
ok.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Someone Actually Makes Garfield Vaguely Interesting
« Reply #68 on: March 05, 2006, 02:52:41 pm »

A wise being once said, What we need more of is Science.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

V-Adore

  • Guest
Re: Someone Actually Makes Garfield Vaguely Interesting
« Reply #69 on: March 05, 2006, 11:58:20 pm »

so:
the purpose of all the science is to know what you're doing when you decapitate a rat.
ok.

More or less. It's important to not go around decapitating rats willy-nilly, unless of course they're compromising your crops.

or you have a sexual fetish, I guess
Logged

misterqueue

  • Sick Fuck
  • VIP
  • R I S O T T O ?
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 25
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 2011
  • I can do anything I want. And so can you.
    • View Profile
    • A Reason for Diseasin'
Re: Someone Actually Makes Garfield Vaguely Interesting
« Reply #70 on: March 06, 2006, 12:09:16 am »

More or less. It's important to not go around decapitating rats willy-nilly, unless of course they're compromising your crops.

or you have a sexual fetish, I guess

It's not sexual.  Those rats begged me.  BEGGED ME!  Did you see they way they were dressed?  They totally wanted it! 

All scalps out and showing off.
All begging me to stare at their pulsing little brains.

IT PUTS THE LOTION ON ITS SKIN!
« Last Edit: March 06, 2006, 12:21:57 am by misterqueue »
Logged
So it's satire, is it?  Well that changes everything!

Lockjaw is serious times.

Doc

  • Growing Cucumbers of Impressive Dimensions
  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1408
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5017
  • an emergency backup pug
    • View Profile
Re: Someone Actually Makes Garfield Vaguely Interesting
« Reply #71 on: March 06, 2006, 04:24:35 am »

I really want to add something to this but I've never disected anything cool (or from memory anything above crustaceans apart from a few mammal organs) despite a three year science degree. Damn chemistry.
Though I have held a preserved and cross-sectioned human head. But that wasn't as creepy as you'd think, I spent half the prac trying to decide if it was real or rubber, I decided real because otherwise someone went to the trouble of putting really short hairs onto the scalp so it looked like it had it's head shaved which would be a creepy amount of detail.

Anyway what I was saying was I have nothing to say except to re-state that this conversation started with garfield. Way to go people!

Actually garfield to rat decapitating does have a certain thematic cohesion, if garfield weren't so lazy anyway.
Logged
Inev: 'A lot of things are ridiculous if you think about them long enough, you know?'

pmcd9

  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Someone Actually Makes Garfield Vaguely Interesting
« Reply #72 on: March 15, 2006, 02:32:28 pm »

A variation on the remove Garfields thoughts from the cartoon idea.

Read now before the cease and desist order arives.

~Paul
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

Hobot

  • DISK ONE OF SIX
  • Teodor
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 21
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 861
  • Appearing in a tortilla near you.
    • View Profile
    • Your music is inadequate.
Re: Someone Actually Makes Garfield Vaguely Interesting
« Reply #73 on: March 15, 2006, 03:49:44 pm »

A variation on the remove Garfields thoughts from the cartoon idea.

Read now before the cease and desist order arives.

~Paul


"Now where are my ******?"

Where indeed, Jon?  Where indeed?
Logged
You had me at "I dig both ladies and fellows."

pmcd9

  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Someone Actually Makes Garfield Vaguely Interesting
« Reply #74 on: March 15, 2006, 04:31:32 pm »


"Now where are my ******?"

Where indeed, Jon?  Where indeed?


I wonder if JD is aware of this dichotomy in his work, if it's part of his thinking when he writes the strip.  The fact that Garfield only thinks he doesn't speak leads me to believe that he does.  Garfield is an ordinary cat and he and Jon live in separate worlds, they don't really communicate with one another.  It's funny that Garfield has been around for what? pushing 30 years and we are only now figuring this out.  Of course it's not enough of a premise to suddenly make Garfield something I want to read, but it is interesting.

~Paul
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6   Go Up