Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

TOUAMB: Debating the decline and fall of Chris Onstad since 2003.

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9   Go Down

Author Topic: Recent shows  (Read 22190 times)

0 Members and 3 Guests are viewing this topic.

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Recent shows
« on: March 07, 2006, 09:11:57 pm »

OK, I periodically have started recent shows threads, so here is a new one to celebrate my return (and if that doesn't beg for celebration, I don't know what does).

Anyway, my Strokes tix just came in the mail today. I'm pretty jacked about this, as I haven't seen a show in a bit. I liked the first two albums, so that's good.

Also, for Slink: They're playing with Eagles of Death Metal.


Feel free to comment on the Strokes, Eagles of Death Metal, or other shows you have recently seen or will see soon.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

Gimpson

  • King of the Make-Outs
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 16
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 592
    • View Profile
    • http://www.gimpysoft.com
Re: Recent shows
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2006, 09:20:35 pm »

I haven't seen much music over the last few months other than local nerdcore act Bacon Shoe.  I'm very excited this month to see Of Montreal and Clap Your Hands Say Yeah over in Lawrence. 

Also, this year's Bonnaroo lineup is so good that my hippie-hating girlfriend wants to go.  Unfortunately, we have to go to Nantucket for my sister's wedding the week beforehand and can't afford to do both.  (Seriously Jen, could you possibly have chosen a less convenient place for your wedding seeing as nobody on your side of the family lives east of Wisconsin?)
Logged

Gimpson

  • King of the Make-Outs
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 16
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 592
    • View Profile
    • http://www.gimpysoft.com
Re: Recent shows
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2006, 09:23:56 pm »

Oh, and if anybody is considering seeing Cirque de Soliel's Delerium show, I beg you to reconsider.  I have enjoyed CdS in the past, but this show is like CdS with less acrobatics and more music and bad dancing.  I'm glad I didn't pay for my tickets, but I feel bad for my gf's parents who did...
Logged

Drygioni

  • formerly Judy
  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 194
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1796
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK
Re: Recent shows
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2006, 09:52:08 pm »

I saw a Deep Purple tribute band in a pub recently, and before that a Smiths tribute band in a small hall. They were both good. The music scene around the Cotswolds is non-existant. Bryan Adams is playing Swindon however, following in the footsteps of Reginald Dwight and many football teams.

If anyone in Gloucestershire, Wiltshire, Oxfordshire etc. knows of ANY good bands performing, for the love of God I need to know.
Logged
I am sorry for my behaviour last night.

slink

  • Moderator
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 47
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3051
  • Слінк Ядранко
    • View Profile
    • OMD on MySpace
Re: Recent shows
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2006, 03:51:28 am »


Also, for Slink: They're playing with Eagles of Death Metal.


Buh... Himmel... Fnar... Yillingrun..

Damn you! Unless they do something over here after the new album comes out, I am pretty much resigned to never seeing EoDM live. That said, having seen more recent live QotSA stuff I really want to see them again. And then there's all the other bands I need to see! My brother and I were going to go and see Gogol Bordello in Glasgow, but his hip is all fucked up so we had to give up on that one. God damn cripples!
Logged
FOOD CHAIN! GET USED TO IT!

miles

  • Stinkfist
  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10030
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3476
    • View Profile
    • Last.fm
Re: Recent shows
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2006, 04:39:28 am »

I just saw Low, and will see The New Pornographers twice in a couple weeks, one time opening for Belle & Sebastian.  I'll also see Ghostface the same week (my droogs!).  Low was really disappointing.
Logged
Order is indeed the dream of man, but chaos, which is only another word for dumb, blind, witless chance, is still the law of nature. - Wallace Stegner

LCB

  • Chucklebot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 113
  • ...when you get the blues in the night
    • View Profile
Re: Recent shows
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2006, 07:38:23 am »

Haven't been to any shows in awhile. I guess I got tired of shows that featured mostly the following types of bands, suck-tastic trend-hopping indie bands and indie has-beens still attempting to ride on their flavor of the month status back in 95 or so, and the only people excited to see them are aging hipsters who remember those glowing reviews in those really cool zines back then.
Logged
Which way to the vomitorium, centurion?

pmcd9

  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Recent shows
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2006, 01:35:25 pm »

I just saw Low, and will see The New Pornographers twice in a couple weeks, one time opening for Belle & Sebastian.  I'll also see Ghostface the same week (my droogs!).  Low was really disappointing.

The New Pornographers, where?  I've been doing concert searches for this area and I am finding not much.  It's not a good sign when the radio is relentlessly promoing a 38 Special show coming up in April.

~Paul
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: Recent shows
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2006, 04:35:52 pm »

The New Pornographers, where?  I've been doing concert searches for this area and I am finding not much.  It's not a good sign when the radio is relentlessly promoing a 38 Special show coming up in April.

~Paul

Hold on loosely, Paul, but don't let go! If you cling too tightly, you're gonna lose control!
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

pmcd9

  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Recent shows
« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2006, 04:49:15 pm »

Hold on loosely, Paul, but don't let go! If you cling too tightly, you're gonna lose control!

You know, i've heard that song probably hundreds of times, but only just now reading that did I realize it was about masturbating.

~Paul
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

Turbo Ninja

  • A Tall Glass of Tuaca
  • Mr. Bear (Cornelius)
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 125
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 689
    • View Profile
Re: Recent shows
« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2006, 04:53:18 pm »

I second the pan of CdS's Delerium.  I HATE HATE HATE world music and I knew I was done for the second the opening act had dueling bongo solos.

Way too much singing and dancing, not enough muscular Russians throwing each other into the air.  Ticket sales were so bad for the performance I attended that my guest and I (who got free tickets in the upper section) were moved to seats about 30 feet behind people who paid $100 each for floor seats.  Even then, it was a terrible experience.

I saw Sigur Ros a few weeks ago.  It was a great show and I was moved to tears by two songs, but it still paled in comparison to the time I saw them on the ( ) tour.  The vocals and crazy bowed guitar sounds are truly moving, and they know how to put on a minimalist Euro video show that will give a dead man chills.  See them if they come to your town.

ALSO SUGGESTED: The Black Keys, an Irish play called The Weir in which nothing happens but you don't get bored, and Early Man.
Logged

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: Recent shows
« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2006, 05:00:53 pm »

The SO just saw Sarah Harmer and said it was a good show. The started taking requests and played at least one Weakerthans cover.
Logged

Limmo

  • roast beef (the middle cat)
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 40
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1166
    • View Profile
Re: Recent shows
« Reply #12 on: March 08, 2006, 06:07:46 pm »

ALSO SUGGESTED: The Black Keys, an Irish play called The Weir in which nothing happens but you don't get bored, and Early Man.

Early Man are all kinds of excellent. 
Logged

Limmo

  • roast beef (the middle cat)
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 40
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1166
    • View Profile
Re: Recent shows
« Reply #13 on: March 08, 2006, 06:11:57 pm »

If anyone in Gloucestershire, Wiltshire, Oxfordshire etc. knows of ANY good bands performing, for the love of God I need to know.

This is the best I can do for you.  Seeing as how I live in Los Angeles and all.
Logged

robot_god

  • roast beef (the middle cat)
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 74
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1195
  • Oh my gosh, dude.
    • View Profile
    • ALP Myspace Site
Re: Recent shows
« Reply #14 on: March 08, 2006, 06:47:35 pm »

In the past two months I've seen The Bad Plus and Kenny Garrett at jazz clubs in the city.  Last big venue shows were probably this jam/rock/cover band Umphrey's McGee and this jam/funk/jazz group Medeski, Martin, and Wood on halloween.  Oh and in December I went to The Musical Box's Lamb Lies Down on Broadway tour.  They're a Genesis tribute band, but "tribute band" does not really do them justice, I've got to call them a recreation band.  Saw the exact same show a year before it, but it was worth doing again.

If you are a Genesis fan and they ever come around to your area, they are basically a must-see.
Logged
ACHIEVE
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9   Go Up