Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood Surprising fact: toothpaste is a complete protein.

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 9   Go Down

Author Topic: Recent shows  (Read 22280 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

pmcd9

  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Recent shows
« Reply #45 on: March 14, 2006, 05:47:48 pm »

Jon Anderson without Chris Squire is a huge mistake.  Is he still doing the Christian Prog thing?

~Paul
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: Recent shows
« Reply #46 on: March 14, 2006, 05:52:52 pm »

Jon Anderson without Chris Squire is a huge mistake.  Is he still doing the Christian Prog thing?

~Paul

I have no answers, but I can now say that he recently recorded an album entitled The More You Know, which seems somehow fitting. Also, he recorded with Bela Fleck and the Flecktones, which somehow(e) strikes me as odd.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

pmcd9

  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Recent shows
« Reply #47 on: March 14, 2006, 06:11:13 pm »

he recently recorded an album entitled The More You Know

Wow, check him out on the record cover.  He's totally stuck in the 80's... Suit with open shirt, no tie and wide lapels, blowdried big hair, dark sunglasses.  That is amazing.  He needs to do an album of standards.

Eye gotchooo under my skin...

~Paul
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

V-Adore

  • Guest
Re: Recent shows
« Reply #48 on: March 21, 2006, 06:22:44 pm »

Just to bump this thread:

My college is bringing in Robert Randolph and the Family Band along with Clap Your Hands Say Yeah this spring. Do any of you have any experience with these bands, and if so, should I try to get a ticket?
Logged

Carlos del Vaca

  • The Mayor
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1316
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5007
  • Greetings from Banana Town
    • View Profile
    • bigfool.com
Re: Recent shows
« Reply #49 on: March 21, 2006, 06:50:33 pm »

I've only heard a few Robert Randolph songs; they're tagged as a "jam band" a la Phish or Dave Matthews.  I think they have more soul than those two put together.  I bet they put on a good live show; I'd go see them, if they were on my campus and tickets weren't too expensive.
Logged
My friends call me the Mayor.
My enemies don't call me anything.  'Cuz they're all dead.

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: Recent shows
« Reply #50 on: March 21, 2006, 07:00:58 pm »

I've heard from several people that CYHSY is disappointing live. I usually can't listen to their album through in one sitting (though I like individual songs) so I can totally see how that would be true.
Logged

acoxcae

  • Todd
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 314
  • Because I don't have one. Never have.
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
Re: Recent shows
« Reply #51 on: March 21, 2006, 07:02:04 pm »

Robert Randolph is awesome - if you like electric blues or funk.  Awesome.

As for CYHSY, I don't think I could deal with the singer's voice for an hour at a time - that would be far too painful.

Some of their songs are good, though.
Logged
this new board has a shitload of buttons.

why are there no zippers?
-thanks ark

pmcd9

  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Recent shows
« Reply #52 on: March 21, 2006, 07:13:10 pm »

Just to bump this thread:

My college is bringing in Robert Randolph and the Family Band along with Clap Your Hands Say Yeah this spring. Do any of you have any experience with these bands, and if so, should I try to get a ticket?

I got turned on to a Robert Randolph boot and I was very disapointed.  I like Jam music, but this is just bad music IMHO.  Maybe he was having an off night, it's possible, but I don't like it.

~Paul
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

sunnystar

  • Chucklebot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 0
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 106
    • View Profile
    • Pictures, Words, and Stuff
Re: Recent shows
« Reply #53 on: March 21, 2006, 09:37:12 pm »

I dig me some Robert Randolph. But I've never heard CYHSY. But hooray for seeing Robert Randolph! Hopefully they are good for you....they do seem to be one of those bands made for live performances...
Logged
Never be too pessimistic - you think the worst, but it could really just be a sequined drag queen.
 -side_show-

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: Recent shows
« Reply #54 on: March 21, 2006, 09:50:55 pm »

I dig me some Robert Randolph. But I've never heard CYHSY. But hooray for seeing Robert Randolph! Hopefully they are good for you....they do seem to be one of those bands made for live performances...

http://www.clapyourhandssayyeah.com/mp3/Tidal_Wave.mp3
http://www.clapyourhandssayyeah.com/mp3/lostAndFound.mp3
Logged

Emmoh

  • Chucklebot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 120
    • View Profile
    • Shameless
Re: Recent shows
« Reply #55 on: March 22, 2006, 03:30:31 pm »

I am going to see The National on Friday and current league leaders in excessive name coolness, I Love You But I've Chosen Darkness on Saturday...but the exciting stuff for this Chicagoan is coming up this summer with Lollapalooza and Pitchfork Music Festival. Intonation is also returning this summer, but without the curation of Pitchfork (which they had last year), they aren't able to serve up much more than some overhyped British rappers.

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: Recent shows
« Reply #56 on: March 22, 2006, 04:57:28 pm »

some overhyped British rappers.

I've got new batteries in my redundancy alarm!
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

pmcd9

  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Recent shows
« Reply #57 on: March 22, 2006, 05:31:22 pm »

I'm going to see Pink Mountaintops Saturday night.  I saw Steven McBeans band Black Mountain last year in Houston and really dug it.  Wow, according to this it was exactly 1 year ago.

~Paul
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

sunnystar

  • Chucklebot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 0
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 106
    • View Profile
    • Pictures, Words, and Stuff
Re: Recent shows
« Reply #58 on: March 22, 2006, 10:05:43 pm »

Thanks for those, Jstr...I think I can never listen to that guys voice ever again. :)
Logged
Never be too pessimistic - you think the worst, but it could really just be a sequined drag queen.
 -side_show-

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: Recent shows
« Reply #59 on: March 23, 2006, 01:18:59 am »

Thanks for those, Jstr...I think I can never listen to that guys voice ever again. :)

Yeah, it's kind of like when I first heard a Strokes song. I wondered why he used such a weird voice for that song before discovering, "Oh. He just sounds like that. OK then."
Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 9   Go Up