Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood Wife upset because I kept her up all night playing World of Snorecraft.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Down

Author Topic: March 8, 2006 - Cowboy sauce.  (Read 15617 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Turbo Ninja

  • A Tall Glass of Tuaca
  • Mr. Bear (Cornelius)
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 125
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 689
    • View Profile
Re: March 8, 2006 - Cowboy sauce.
« Reply #30 on: March 08, 2006, 03:44:48 pm »

Chris Onstad is getting really good at drawing facial hair on cats.  Like snowflakes and fingerprints, no two are alike.

I hope he finished this cartoon, leaned back in his custom-painted Aeron chair, and, with a smug sense of accomplishment, chuckled softly to himself.  Then he'd glance at the dog and say "Your master is very good at drawing facial hair on cats.  Let's see what I can do with a dog."  At that, he'd spring from his seat and playfully chase the dog from his studio, ultra-fine Sharpie in hand.

Because that is how I would behave if I drew such good mustaches and beards on cartoon cowboy cats.
Logged

sensate

  • Chucklebot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 6
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 111
    • View Profile
Re: March 8, 2006 - Cowboy sauce.
« Reply #31 on: March 08, 2006, 04:10:47 pm »

"Mommy, what's a tickpimp?"
Logged

Emergent_C

  • Chucklebot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 153
    • View Profile
Re: March 8, 2006 - Cowboy sauce.
« Reply #32 on: March 08, 2006, 04:35:05 pm »

What happens if there is more than one cat standing after the end of three days?

This Kid is up to some good hypothesizin'
Logged
now I know that being in trouble is a fake idea

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: March 8, 2006 - Cowboy sauce.
« Reply #33 on: March 08, 2006, 04:41:49 pm »

yessss
paul is right
paul is right

they will lay it all on the line, and win

they will win on some technicality that only Beef knows.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9819
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: March 8, 2006 - Cowboy sauce.
« Reply #34 on: March 08, 2006, 04:59:00 pm »

yessss
paul is right
paul is right

they will lay it all on the line, and win

they will win on some technicality that only Beef knows.

I'm suddenly reminded of the Tick Annual where Chainsaw Vigilante is fighting Barry Hubris (aka the other Tick). Just as the fight is starting wrap up the superhero police burst in and stop them because there can never be a clear winner in any hero vs. hero or villain vs. villain fight. I can only imagine that Ray vs. Beef would need some similar deux ex machina but I kind of hope not.
Logged

trouserbat

  • Dr. Kisses
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 25
  • No trilobite, no cry.
    • View Profile
Re: March 8, 2006 - Cowboy sauce.
« Reply #35 on: March 08, 2006, 05:39:43 pm »

My only real complaint is that we never found out which one had the limp.

Unless Onstad is going to pull a new character out of his hat (Oh noes! It's Rico "No Knees" Sinpatella!), I think it refers to the guy Beef ran over with the motorcycle before the GOF started.
Logged
Forget what you know about craveless nori!

Carlos del Vaca

  • The Mayor
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1316
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5007
  • Greetings from Banana Town
    • View Profile
    • bigfool.com
Re: March 8, 2006 - Cowboy sauce.
« Reply #36 on: March 08, 2006, 05:49:12 pm »

The Man With the Blood on His Hands, indeed.
Logged
My friends call me the Mayor.
My enemies don't call me anything.  'Cuz they're all dead.

Emergent_C

  • Chucklebot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 153
    • View Profile
Re: March 8, 2006 - Cowboy sauce.
« Reply #37 on: March 08, 2006, 05:55:20 pm »

The Man With the Blood on His Hands, indeed.

Of course, that's his dad's nickname. "The Man With Cowboy Sauce On His Hands" isn't quite as appropriate, taken out of context.
Logged
now I know that being in trouble is a fake idea

keef

  • YOUR OLD FRIEND BLISTER
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 54
    • View Profile
    • http://www.keef.org
Re: March 8, 2006 - Cowboy sauce.
« Reply #38 on: March 08, 2006, 06:09:38 pm »

I can't believe y'all ain't lovin' this strip.

I'm with you, my doggie.  I can't believe all these fuckin' naysayers-- always naysaying!  This strip is a goddamn classic of the genre and an explosive climax.  It is delightful.  It is a "FUCK YEAH!" moment in the making.  It makes me happy, and it makes me look forward to more.

GODDAMN GENIUS.  Where is this Christ Onster, so that I may blow him?
Logged

AlohaDawg

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 79
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4184
  • Crawlin' back to prosperity
    • View Profile
Re: March 8, 2006 - Cowboy sauce.
« Reply #39 on: March 08, 2006, 06:20:23 pm »

"decimated" means reduced by 10%.

So it is a very bad thing if the field has only been decimated.  It means 90% are still standing.

I am a pedant, yes.

Could be serial decimations. That would reduce the field to an infinitely fine few by seqeuntial tenths.
Logged

Xngurevar

  • Scrambles the Dog
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 6
    • View Profile
Re: March 8, 2006 - Cowboy sauce.
« Reply #40 on: March 08, 2006, 06:25:24 pm »

Could be serial decimations. That would reduce the field to an infinitely fine few by seqeuntial tenths.

I broke down and registered just so I could increment you for that remark.
Logged

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: March 8, 2006 - Cowboy sauce.
« Reply #41 on: March 08, 2006, 06:37:21 pm »

I wish the belt buckles had been bigger.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

EgoSumNoah

  • YOUR OLD FRIEND BLISTER
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 66
    • View Profile
Re: March 8, 2006 - Cowboy sauce.
« Reply #42 on: March 08, 2006, 07:29:44 pm »

Requiem for a Dream pupil scene

I feel like this strip was Onstad's salute to looney toons. This puts him in an elite class of culture innovators who reference pop culture (Twain, Led Zepp, Tarantino).

But I can't express how happy I would have been had he pulled a Requiemesque fugue. All pointilist shading, all muscles bulging, bones breaking gracefully through skin as the demon in Ray's genes becomes the demon in his jeans (or thong or whatever). I know he fugues...
Logged
I am Jack, the Pumpkin King

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: March 8, 2006 - Cowboy sauce.
« Reply #43 on: March 08, 2006, 07:36:35 pm »

I broke down and registered just so I could increment you for that remark.

Whoa!  What's with the bradypus tridactylus there?  What happened to that rule where I get to approve all the n00b's avatars!
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

EgoSumNoah

  • YOUR OLD FRIEND BLISTER
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 66
    • View Profile
Re: March 8, 2006 - Cowboy sauce.
« Reply #44 on: March 08, 2006, 08:36:48 pm »

I might have to take back everything I said about Requiem.

Achewood is good because everything in it is stylized. Onstad brings Strunk's concise English sensibilities to humor and art. Aronofsky, on the other hand, couldn't portray an equilateral triangle without a tactile subtext.

I think that this strip shirked on detail a bit, but would it be appropriate for Achewood to be as rich as a scene from Requiem? Or would it even be logistically plausible?
Logged
I am Jack, the Pumpkin King
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Up