Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Did you know...
That you can post photos to the TOUAMB Flickr Pool?

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6   Go Down

Author Topic: March 10, 2006 - The dude so raw he beat down his oldest friend  (Read 15956 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

oball

  • Lyle
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 128
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 507
  • In excess of seven ding dongs
    • View Profile

So Beef still lives.  Well, everyone saw it coming. 

This one doesn't really do much for me humour-wise, but it has much needed exposition, I guess.  Still, that kick in the last panel is pretty dang cool.
Logged
Worked-up silent dork without sex ability seeks oblivion and demise

Tangle

  • Chucklebot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 2
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 102
  • hurry boy, she's waiting there for you
    • View Profile
    • She was born on 2 June 2006.
Re: March 10, 2006 - The dude so raw he beat down his oldest friend
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2006, 09:55:14 am »

Certain things I loved.

The startled jump Ray makes when the lid opens.

The buddy-buddy handshake.

Fourth row, last panel: I just really like this one. It's like Beef has now accomplished a dream he has had for so long. Very emotional.

The mean mouth on Ray in the second-to-last panel. And man, he doesn't even wait for Rudy to react to the trash talk, just cold kicks the dude in the head HARD.

Did Beef have an extra pair of goggles?

Cynicar

  • Scrambles the Dog
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 2
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 17
    • View Profile
Re: March 10, 2006 - The dude so raw he beat down his oldest friend
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2006, 10:26:10 am »

Called it!  Woo!

I'm not sure how I feel about Beef's self-sacrificing though.  This may be that I just really want him to win, but I don't think I buy it.

I mean, yes, Ray's BOC and so he can claim being the heir to the throne, but Beef's the dude who memorized the interviews, plotted for years, and actually cares about this thing.  Ray on the other hand just realized his lineage a couple weeks ago and joined on a lark.

I mean, would you make maps and break into credit records if you just wanted to see the Fight from the inside?  I would just operate the crane.

Actually, I think that would be a pretty sweet job.  I would do that anyday.

I think Beef is still plotting.  Just like Ray's Hat of Menace, Beef still has his Goggles of Secret Motivations.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2006, 10:32:47 am by Cynicar »
Logged
That's like comparin' a lunatic to a pissed man with goals.

cellardoor

  • Todd
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 2
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 282
    • View Profile
Re: March 10, 2006 - The dude so raw he beat down his oldest friend
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2006, 11:46:01 am »

Slap, dap.

So cool!
Logged

MattFish

  • Lie Bot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 43
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 371
  • A perch with a cramp / Half-pound ahi burger
    • View Profile
Re: March 10, 2006 - The dude so raw he beat down his oldest friend
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2006, 12:17:08 pm »

Called it!  Woo!

I'm not sure how I feel about Beef's self-sacrificing though.  This may be that I just really want him to win, but I don't think I buy it.

I mean, yes, Ray's BOC and so he can claim being the heir to the throne, but Beef's the dude who memorized the interviews, plotted for years, and actually cares about this thing.  Ray on the other hand just realized his lineage a couple weeks ago and joined on a lark.

I think I totally still agree with you. Beef's still in his element and is probably still playing Ray. At least this strip basically cleared everything up? And the takedown of Rudy is great, with the no-waiting-for-reaction...Dammit, only 3 posts and already everything I meant to say was said. I need to wake up earlier.
Logged
I finally found a nice picture of a giraffe

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: March 10, 2006 - The dude so raw he beat down his oldest friend
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2006, 12:22:21 pm »

Roast beef will be all "aren't you forgetting something, ray?" and cold destroy him.

Now that Ray has said he would beat down roast beef, roast beef is OK in beating him down first. once one has broken the pact of friends since small times, the other is no longer bound.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

Apemantus

  • Scrambles the Dog
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 2
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 6
    • View Profile
Re: March 10, 2006 - The dude so raw he beat down his oldest friend
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2006, 12:33:02 pm »

But then the question is: if Roast Beef knows everybody's secret weakness, whether juvenile cross-dressing or fiscally lax significant others, what's he going to use to stone cold take down Ray? Birthday cake and booty?
Logged

misterqueue

  • Sick Fuck
  • VIP
  • R I S O T T O ?
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 25
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 2011
  • I can do anything I want. And so can you.
    • View Profile
    • A Reason for Diseasin'
Re: March 10, 2006 - The dude so raw he beat down his oldest friend
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2006, 12:45:47 pm »

Not much to say here, a lot of open exposition which is really jarring for Achewood.


All these quick summaries and Beef's acceptance just seems;  too easy.
Logged
So it's satire, is it?  Well that changes everything!

Lockjaw is serious times.

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: March 10, 2006 - The dude so raw he beat down his oldest friend
« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2006, 12:57:40 pm »

That's like comparing a lunatic to a pissed man with goals.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

EgoSumNoah

  • YOUR OLD FRIEND BLISTER
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 66
    • View Profile
Re: March 10, 2006 - The dude so raw he beat down his oldest friend
« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2006, 01:06:25 pm »

That's like comparing a lunatic to a pissed man with goals.

I'm not sure I believe that Beef is going to "stone cold betray" SoRod. He's not that cold a dude in real life. Beef was not the type of kitten to want to BE the champion, just to want to be close to him. That being said, I doubt he just takes it.

So, is that dude dropped, or will Ray have to finish him in the next strip? Or will he get back up after Beef takes out Ray, and win it... ? <DUN DUN DUN>
Logged
I am Jack, the Pumpkin King

sensate

  • Chucklebot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 6
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 111
    • View Profile
Re: March 10, 2006 - The dude so raw he beat down his oldest friend
« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2006, 01:16:34 pm »

Damn, Ray has Technique! All flying kick and such as. I don't think it's about the Fight. I'ma guess Beef goes down (most humorously) and Ray wins. I mean, if it's wrong that Ray wins after only beating 3 asses, how would it look for Beef to win, having beaten only one, Son of Stubbs or no? Besides, can anyone here imagine Beef as some kind of asskicking legend? Picture the after celebration--the guy from the Californian going like "So how does it feel to be The Baddest Dude?" and Beef all mumbling into his shorts. Not to mention Ray feeling hugely betrayed and humiliated. They wouldn't be friends anymore after something like that. I don't see it.

Still hoping for something unexpectedly absurd and humorous, but Beef winning isn't in the cards. I'm betting Ray humiliates himself right after he wins.
Logged

sensate

  • Chucklebot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 6
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 111
    • View Profile
Re: March 10, 2006 - The dude so raw he beat down his oldest friend
« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2006, 01:26:23 pm »

And I just noticed this: Rudy Cava is the only one in the fight besides Ray & Beef (oh, and Sikes) without facial hair.
Logged

Bobby Isosceles

  • Guest
Re: March 10, 2006 - The dude so raw he beat down his oldest friend
« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2006, 01:29:54 pm »

Damn, Ray has Technique! All flying kick and such as. I don't think it's about the Fight. I'ma guess Beef goes down (most humorously) and Ray wins. I mean, if it's wrong that Ray wins after only beating 3 asses, how would it look for Beef to win, having beaten only one, Son of Stubbs or no?

That would cold make you a Judas. There have been a few of those -- in 1981 Hector Trampoliño -- and they are always shunned at the winners' parties.
Logged

Bobby Isosceles

  • Guest
Re: March 10, 2006 - The dude so raw he beat down his oldest friend
« Reply #13 on: March 10, 2006, 01:30:15 pm »

And I just noticed this: Rudy Cava is the only one in the fight besides Ray & Beef (oh, and Sikes) without facial hair.
And Leander.
Logged

BatzRadio

  • Dr. Kisses
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 39
  • Check the record, check the guy's rock record.
    • View Profile
    • http://batzradio.livejournal.com
Re: March 10, 2006 - The dude so raw he beat down his oldest friend
« Reply #14 on: March 10, 2006, 01:44:41 pm »

The buddy-buddy pound shared in panels 5 and 6.

Best subtle touch in the strip in a long-ass time.

Rest was alright too.
Logged
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6   Go Up