Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

No, Philippe! Too soon!

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: All Time Top 5 Essential Songs  (Read 8337 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Nice Jough

  • Dr. Kisses
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 2
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 28
    • View Profile
    • http://poetryx.com
All Time Top 5 Essential Songs
« Reply #15 on: September 26, 2003, 11:07:26 pm »

OH NO!  I forgot Jim Messina! :(

I am sorry Jim Messina for leaving you out of my post I am so sorry you are a special guy who deserves to be remembered too
Logged
You are super!  You're a special person!

FeeReep

  • Chucklebot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 109
    • View Profile
All Time Top 5 Essential Songs
« Reply #16 on: September 27, 2003, 03:40:27 am »

In no particular order:

Simon & Garfunkel: Me and Julio Down by the Schoolyard
Radiohead: Creep
Bob Dylan: Subterranean Homesick Blues
The Temptations: Psychedelic Shack
Led Zepplin: Ramble On
Logged

pmcd9

  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
All Time Top 5 Essential Songs
« Reply #17 on: September 28, 2003, 04:40:41 am »

I can't do this.  Even considering this for only a short time yields dozens of essentials.  Someone else will have to choose for me.

~Paul
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

andalucia

  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 2
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1680
    • View Profile
    • http://www.awesomeblurry.com
All Time Top 5 Essential Songs
« Reply #18 on: September 29, 2003, 12:57:01 am »

Paul, that is a real problem... you have to just use the first 5 that come to mind or it'll destroy you.

Letting the community at large choose for you is probably not the best plan ever....   I'm eying Nice Jough suspiciously here....
Logged
goose means greedy

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
All Time Top 5 Essential Songs
« Reply #19 on: September 29, 2003, 01:16:42 am »

He likes songs that are nice.  And hey, at least he picked five.

palm trees

  • Showbiz
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 203
    • View Profile
All Time Top 5 Essential Songs
« Reply #20 on: October 01, 2003, 11:00:43 am »

muse - time is runnning out
because it is the single most delicately-balanced-between-perfect-song-construction-and-incredible-monster-truck-rock song that has ever existed
the beatles - can't buy me love
because the enrgy of this song is utterly utterly incredible
aphex twin - windowlicker
because if you don't dance to this you can't have a soul
radiohead - 2+2=5
because the live version from glastonbury this year is the single most rock mp3 file in the universe (and because i was there)
r.e.m. - be mine
because it is a wonderful love song

honourable mention
sigur ros - poppalgid/the pop song/untitled 8
because it is honourable
Logged
[size=10]***DESTROY VINYL***[/size][/color]

V-Adore

  • Guest
All Time Top 5 Essential Songs
« Reply #21 on: October 01, 2003, 03:12:27 pm »

Quote from: "palm trees"

r.e.m. - be mine
because it is a wonderful love song

YES. Yes yes yes.
Logged

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
All Time Top 5 Essential Songs
« Reply #22 on: October 01, 2003, 04:02:55 pm »

I think V just had an internet-gasm!
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

palm trees

  • Showbiz
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 203
    • View Profile
All Time Top 5 Essential Songs
« Reply #23 on: October 01, 2003, 04:10:48 pm »

i must continue to pimp new adventures in hi-fi.
Logged
[size=10]***DESTROY VINYL***[/size][/color]

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
All Time Top 5 Essential Songs
« Reply #24 on: October 01, 2003, 05:40:33 pm »

NAIHF is my second favourite album of all-time (after the Smiths "The Queen is Dead") and is obviously the best R.E.M. album bar-none, as discussed in another thread.

I have that Glastonbury show on mp3, but I wasn't there.  Still, 2+2=5 is the best track from the new Radiohead album, as discussed in another thread.

palm trees

  • Showbiz
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 203
    • View Profile
All Time Top 5 Essential Songs
« Reply #25 on: October 01, 2003, 06:07:10 pm »

also has added comedy value after someone pointed out that as the song spirals into rock madness, thom appears to be singing PENETRATION PENETRATION PENETRATION.

yes.
Logged
[size=10]***DESTROY VINYL***[/size][/color]

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
All Time Top 5 Essential Songs
« Reply #26 on: October 01, 2003, 07:08:27 pm »

Yeah, that's not true, though.  Every album review says this, but they're wrong.  

The lyrics are "Payin' Attention" but I thought it was "penetration" when I first heard it too.

pmcd9

  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
All Time Top 5 Essential Songs
« Reply #27 on: October 01, 2003, 08:40:54 pm »

Didn't make it to Glastonberry, but did go to Radiohead tonight (posting in advance) and it was awesome.  Never thought he was singing "penetration" though.  Actually, didn't understand what he was saying so I looked at the lyric sheet.  Is that cheating?

~Paul

PS- to Andalucia.  I didn't pick a top five list because my first cursory list included one of Nice Jough's picks.  I like nice songs too.

~Paul
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

Nice Jough

  • Dr. Kisses
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 2
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 28
    • View Profile
    • http://poetryx.com
All Time Top 5 Essential Songs
« Reply #28 on: October 01, 2003, 09:10:02 pm »

Quote from: "pmcd9"

PS- to Andalucia.  I didn't pick a top five list because my first cursory list included one of Nice Jough's picks.  I like nice songs too.


Oooh!  Which one?  We can be song-buddies!!!!!!! :D :D :D
Logged
You are super!  You're a special person!

V-Adore

  • Guest
All Time Top 5 Essential Songs
« Reply #29 on: October 01, 2003, 11:41:52 pm »

I had an internet-gasm because "Be Mine" and NAiHF are just that good.

(Although Life's Rich Pageant may be better. But I do not want a flamewar; both albums are magnificent and I will love them both forever, so we don't have to fight.)
Logged
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up