Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood I once had the idea that, if only for a moment each night, everyone in the world was asleep at the same time. It made the world manageable.

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Down

Author Topic: The dreaded gridiron again  (Read 12271 times)

0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
The dreaded gridiron again
« on: March 21, 2006, 04:14:44 am »

Well, Tags finally pulled the pin. It's a little surprising for me to see that Rozelle didn't retire until 1989. It seemed like he was gone earlier than that. I think they'll have a tough time replacing Tagliabue. I'd say the NFL has been more stable over the course of his tenure than any other professional sport in this country.

Quote from: Dave Goldberg, AP football writer
Roger Goodell, the NFL's chief operating officer, and Atlanta general manager Rich McKay are the two leading candidates to succeed Tagliabue. Baltimore Ravens president Dick Cass also is considered to have an outside chance and Secretary of State Condoleeza Rice has said she would like the job.

People, you've screwed up my country. Can you at least leave me my sports?
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

Golfhaus

  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 116
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1625
  • He does not approve. Not at all.
    • View Profile
    • http://www.prolefeed.com
Re: The dreaded gridiron again
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2006, 12:43:02 pm »

Condoleeza would be an interesting choice. I do believe she'd be the first African-American to be the head of a major sports league. She'd certainly be the first woman. It speaks volumes for the importance this nation places on football that given the choice between being commissioner of the NFL or FIFTH IN LINE FOR THE PRESIDENCY, you would consider the former.

How would her conservatism drive her tenure as a commissioner, I wonder...
Logged

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: The dreaded gridiron again
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2006, 01:54:37 pm »

I'd say the NFL has been more stable over the course of his tenure than any other professional sport in this country.

The Hell?  I lost my Oilers under his tenure.  Fuck him, fuck professional sports, fuck this thread.

~Paul
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

Gimpson

  • King of the Make-Outs
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 16
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 592
    • View Profile
    • http://www.gimpysoft.com
Re: The dreaded gridiron again
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2006, 02:40:01 pm »

I've only been half-following the labor strife...  They did work out a new CBA for this season, didn't they?  Was it longer term than just the upcoming season?  I only vaguely remember the last football strike/lockout, and it seems that he's done a great job avoiding the labor struggles that killed hockey and nearly killed baseball. 

Re:  Oilers:  I had just moved to Houston when the Oilers were yanked, and Tennessee remains on my top 5 most hated teams list.  On the plus side, after years of hating the Cowboys just because, I finally have a reason again.
Logged

CortJstr

  • Moderator
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: The dreaded gridiron again
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2006, 02:45:44 pm »

So what does the comissioner do besides not answer press questions and enforce this vague "parity" deal?
Logged

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: The dreaded gridiron again
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2006, 03:05:10 pm »

I can't believe y'all are talking about football when the US apparently just totally, mortifyingly lost a world baseball competition. 
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

CortJstr

  • Moderator
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: The dreaded gridiron again
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2006, 03:38:18 pm »

I can't believe y'all are talking about football when the US apparently just totally, mortifyingly lost a world baseball competition. 

bases-ball?
Logged

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: The dreaded gridiron again
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2006, 03:45:02 pm »

y'all

Chicks from the Bronx aren't allowed to say "y'all".  You don't see me going around saying "youse" do you?

Don't make me warn you again.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: The dreaded gridiron again
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2006, 03:45:40 pm »

I can't believe y'all are talking about football when the US apparently just totally, mortifyingly lost a world baseball competition. 

Nonsense, woman. Everyone knows the World Series is played in October.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

Carlos del Vaca

  • The Mayor
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1316
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5007
  • Greetings from Banana Town
    • View Profile
    • bigfool.com
Re: The dreaded gridiron again
« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2006, 04:14:28 pm »

I can't believe y'all are talking about football when the US apparently just totally, mortifyingly lost a world baseball competition. 

Meh.  Our inherent American hubris says we should have won this easily, but really, the Americans aren't that far ahead in baseball talent compared to the rest of the world like we are in basketball.  Cuba, the DR, Puerto Rico, Venezuela, Japan, Korea... these are all very talented teams.  Over the course of a long season, I'd expect the US to prevail, but in the short format of the WBC, there's absolutely no shame in losing to these ballclubs.
Logged
My friends call me the Mayor.
My enemies don't call me anything.  'Cuz they're all dead.

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: The dreaded gridiron again
« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2006, 05:50:23 pm »

"youse"


Oh, imagine the hubbub that would cause among the prescriptive-grammarian rabble around here. 
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

acoxcae

  • Todd
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 314
  • Because I don't have one. Never have.
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
Re: The dreaded gridiron again
« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2006, 05:52:22 pm »

Well, I never picked the US to win, since all our best players are from other countries anyway.  When all the American stars are playing for the DR, it's pretty likely they'd do well, you know?  Sure, the guys on the American team are good, but I'd wager those on the DR team are better on average.  Similar logic for Japan.

As for Cuba, I'd suggest that since we're not really able to recruit there, they could be just as good or better than the DR guys, on average, except that they're not on American teams.

So, yeah, I'm not really surprised the US lost, since a victory for the DR is kind of like a victory for the US.  Kinda.
Logged
this new board has a shitload of buttons.

why are there no zippers?
-thanks ark

V-Adore

  • Guest
Re: The dreaded gridiron again
« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2006, 06:21:25 pm »

Yeah; while I'm not up on the WBC, I think a loss in baseball, where there are many excellent teams and strong traditions in many countries, is less shameful than would be, say, a loss in American football.

Which I think this thread was supposed to be about, but hey, whatever.
Logged

Gimpson

  • King of the Make-Outs
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 16
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 592
    • View Profile
    • http://www.gimpysoft.com
Re: The dreaded gridiron again
« Reply #13 on: March 21, 2006, 06:58:40 pm »

How hard was the US team really trying?  They're just gearing up for their paying gig, and nobody wants to get hurt. 

Also, it appears that the Packers are making off season moves in an attempt to keep Favre around for one more season.  I'm not sure whether this is a good thing or a bad thing, but nobody wants to see him go out like he did last season.  Personally, I'd like to see him come back, but let whoever #2 is work in if it doesn't look like the team is playoff bound. 
Logged

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: The dreaded gridiron again
« Reply #14 on: March 21, 2006, 07:21:04 pm »

I can't believe y'all are talking about football when the US apparently just totally, mortifyingly lost a world baseball competition.

Well, I never picked the US to win, since all our best players are from other countries anyway.  When all the American stars are playing for the DR, it's pretty likely they'd do well, you know?  Sure, the guys on the American team are good, but I'd wager those on the DR team are better on average.  Similar logic for Japan.

So, yeah, I'm not really surprised the US lost, since a victory for the DR is kind of like a victory for the US.  Kinda.

This is the problem with professional team sports.  The players don't represent the cities they play for, they don't even represent the United States of America.

At least there's no pretense in Golf or Tennis.  You KNOW who Tiger Woods is playing for.

~Paul
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Up