Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood "One of Your Shoes is By the Dog Food: A Tale of Things Not Worth Mentioning During Married Life," is out in September on Harper-Doubleday.

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6   Go Down

Author Topic: March 28, 2006 - When I am younger sure, ok, but not so much now  (Read 19019 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Doc

  • Growing Cucumbers of Impressive Dimensions
  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1408
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5017
  • an emergency backup pug
    • View Profile

Man I just seem to keep seeing gyros everywhere lately.
Sooner or later I'm going to have to try one to find out what they are.

We seem to have seamlessly shifted back into normal Achewood mode: Beef's family is bizzarely poor yet keeping up appearances and Ray is packing 9k in his hatband. Also there will soon be a party.
I'm feeling pretty good about this, it's nice to have some of the old style stuff back.
Note that Beef's goggles are a symbol for this change.

Additional: Yes the title should have been 'This is completely a thing' or 'Ten pounds of lamb at Kronos cafe' or 'Ar'Rosto Beef' or 'I'm the rich guy' or 'Fight-tite elastoband'. I don't want to hear about it, there's got to be some benefits for living over the other side of the world to where all the good stuff comes from and getting to see the strip at a leisurely 6pm and getting a jump on the thread starting when I have a title I like is one of them, plus I like George's stereotypical odd syntax.
Edited for spelling so you don't think me base like an animal. Also pre-emptive title defense.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2006, 08:34:30 am by Doc »
Logged
Inev: 'A lot of things are ridiculous if you think about them long enough, you know?'

Faze

  • Scrambles the Dog
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 5
    • View Profile
March 28, 2006 - I'm the rich guy!
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2006, 08:29:57 am »

f5 f5 f5 f5 f5 NEW COMIC

http://www.achewood.com/index.php?date=03282006

I'm glad to see, instead of reflective silences, the lively discussions we love and expect from Ar'rosto Beef and Some Guy.
Logged

Drastic Action

  • Chucklebot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 29
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 194
  • Zounds!
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
Re: March 28, 2006 - I'm the rich guy!
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2006, 08:35:33 am »

Two minutes and 17 seconds too late!
Logged
~

weareas1

  • Scrambles the Dog
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 5
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 19
    • View Profile
Re: March 28, 2006 - I'm the rich guy!
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2006, 08:54:17 am »

"our every move is the new tradition"

I love these cats.
Logged

V-Adore

  • Guest
Re: March 28, 2006 - When I am younger sure, ok, but not so much now
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2006, 09:30:48 am »

I'm not sure whether it's sad, funny, or both that Beef seems to come by his Beegiraffeness honestly.

Wait, I am sure. Both.

The image that this is the new tradition -- i.e., that all Fight partici##### from here on out will take it as their responsibility to fight the Jeeps and raze the Acres -- also suggest terrible glee to come.
Logged

Doc

  • Growing Cucumbers of Impressive Dimensions
  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1408
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5017
  • an emergency backup pug
    • View Profile
Re: March 28, 2006 - When I am younger sure, ok, but not so much now
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2006, 10:11:42 am »

Has the ##### filter become more cunning on the new board or was it always this good and I just didn't notice?
Logged
Inev: 'A lot of things are ridiculous if you think about them long enough, you know?'

robot_god

  • roast beef (the middle cat)
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 74
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1195
  • Oh my gosh, dude.
    • View Profile
    • ALP Myspace Site
Re: March 28, 2006 - When I am younger sure, ok, but not so much now
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2006, 11:55:34 am »

Me, I woulda went with, "IS WRAPPS" but hey... what can ya do?

Does illustrator have a morph feature?  Uncle George looks like the halfway point between the Ice Cream Shop man and the griddled corn salesman.

You would think that after maiming so many men, the denoument of this arc would be breezy, but the boys have already run into circumstances.  Are more rough times about to come up to these doggz?
Logged
ACHIEVE

misterqueue

  • Sick Fuck
  • VIP
  • R I S O T T O ?
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 25
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 2011
  • I can do anything I want. And so can you.
    • View Profile
    • A Reason for Diseasin'
Re: March 28, 2006 - When I am younger sure, ok, but not so much now
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2006, 12:03:45 pm »

"Crazy Sticks"? But they are also bread.

What marvelous times we live in indeed.

That Uncle George is so real I can taste it.  'Stad certainly has a thing for characterization. 

KRONOS CAFE: WHERE TIME WILL EAT YOU!

I know, cheap mythology joke.  I am sorry about this achewood board.
Logged
So it's satire, is it?  Well that changes everything!

Lockjaw is serious times.

Golfhaus

  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 116
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1625
  • He does not approve. Not at all.
    • View Profile
    • http://www.prolefeed.com
Re: March 28, 2006 - When I am younger sure, ok, but not so much now
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2006, 12:38:34 pm »

I lost it with "You-a the rich boy, or you-a the jerk?" We haven't seen Pat in a hot minute.

And Ramses Luther IS a he-finds-you kinda guy.
Logged

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: March 28, 2006 - When I am younger sure, ok, but not so much now
« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2006, 12:42:30 pm »

man.
what is this?
people are going to eat?
Beef is from circumstances? Ray has money? I cannot process this information. I need context. Isn't this a comic where dudes fight?

also: "You're the rich guy, or you're the jerk". I think Ray is actually both. Who else would either of those be?

I am wondering why his uncle has ethnic-ness, but his immediate family lives in a trailer park and are in no way ethnic.


also, this doesn't make as much sense now, but when I first woke up and read the strip, I thought to myself "hmm. "Nina" is like the Greek version of "Tina"." For some reason I thought this was a profound thing, and I came up with a whole theory about how Beef is Greek and Ray is Italian;  Beef invented goddamn everything, but Ray will get all the credit. Beef has style and smarts, but Ray will just win at life. The only things Ray invents are new ways to kill people. This is like the Romans, is what I'm saying here.

EDIT: GODDAMN you Golfhaus, I was about to say that same quote. But my post is too long.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: March 28, 2006 - When I am younger sure, ok, but not so much now
« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2006, 12:55:06 pm »

Having pizza and crazy sticks delivered to Beef's uncle's restaurant is the saddest thing.  It is so sad that I can't process what else is going on in the strip, or how the uncle's accent seems a little off, or the thread title, or anything else. I might just have to go back to bed.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

Hobo Frenzy

  • Showbiz
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 3
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 222
  • fuck*ng Moto Guzzi
    • View Profile
    • the best site in the universe
Re: March 28, 2006 - When I am younger sure, ok, but not so much now
« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2006, 01:52:30 pm »

Lets get right to the point, Gyros are amazing and also pronounced "Ur-o". So Doc, you owe it to yourself to go experience one soon. That's right, EXPERIENCE it. Is so Good and is also is Lotto.

This is a sad strip, shut lip and done.
Ray has to leave his dad, Beef's uncles restaurant is essentially closed even when it's open, used to hang out with jerks, stopped ordering the stuff "For What?", has a wife who likes to be alone at the house, and Beef is so embarrassed he wants to solid "Bolt" and leave his uncle is sad times. Thank you Ray. Taking charge and deciding then and there that this WILL be a party and there WILL be merriment come Jeeps or high water jeans!

What would make it awesome is if the whole Achewood gang got invited out there to celebrate. We need another party strip because those are pretty funny.
Logged
Hey, what's this? Cursive?

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: March 28, 2006 - When I am younger sure, ok, but not so much now
« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2006, 01:57:08 pm »

Sure, anybody can beat down 2,999 other guys but it takes a real man to beat down a couple thousand guys then take on the jeeps. This will be the new thinking. Each year the jeeps will upgrade to become more powerful. It will be common to go several years with no winner but the jeeps themselves.

I almost expected Uncle George to call Beef Cassandra. I also have that annoying "you lika da juice" SNL skit in my head now.
Logged

Carlos del Vaca

  • The Mayor
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1316
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5007
  • Greetings from Banana Town
    • View Profile
    • bigfool.com
Re: March 28, 2006 - When I am younger sure, ok, but not so much now
« Reply #13 on: March 28, 2006, 02:27:03 pm »

I am convinced that the whole gyro/yee-ro thing is something Greek restaurant owners conjured up to make people feel stupid.  If I order a "jai-ro," the counter guy says "yee-ro."  If I order a "yee-ro," the counter guy says "jai-ro."
EVERY fuck*ng TIME
Logged
My friends call me the Mayor.
My enemies don't call me anything.  'Cuz they're all dead.

vagittarius

  • Scrambles the Dog
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 3
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 16
    • View Profile
Re: March 28, 2006 - When I am younger sure, ok, but not so much now
« Reply #14 on: March 28, 2006, 02:29:53 pm »

I would like to re-quote

"Our every move is the new tradition"

Out of context sounds like a line from hip hop, but then again Beef is Hip Hop.
Logged
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6   Go Up