Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

THIS SPACE FOR RENT
The tip jar is broken, but Wombat will entertain bribe offers, assuming she can find this edit screen again.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Down

Author Topic: March 28, 2006 - When I am younger sure, ok, but not so much now  (Read 18963 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Emergent_C

  • Chucklebot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 153
    • View Profile
Re: March 28, 2006 - When I am younger sure, ok, but not so much now
« Reply #15 on: March 28, 2006, 02:30:53 pm »

Man, I could go for 10 pounds of lamb right about now. The best lamb I've ever had was at the Greek Fest in New Orleans, and I'm sad that I'm gonna miss it this year because I've finally decided to move to California after losing my house to that fuck*ng hurricane. Mmmm...Greek Fest.

Also, Beef is still young so he still likes jerks.
Logged
now I know that being in trouble is a fake idea

robot_god

  • roast beef (the middle cat)
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 74
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1195
  • Oh my gosh, dude.
    • View Profile
    • ALP Myspace Site
Re: March 28, 2006 - When I am younger sure, ok, but not so much now
« Reply #16 on: March 28, 2006, 02:46:39 pm »

I am wondering why his uncle has ethnic-ness, but his immediate family lives in a trailer park and are in no way ethnic.

Could be married in.
Logged
ACHIEVE

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: March 28, 2006 - When I am younger sure, ok, but not so much now
« Reply #17 on: March 28, 2006, 03:01:19 pm »

I am convinced that the whole gyro/yee-ro thing is something Greek restaurant owners conjured up to make people feel stupid.  If I order a "jai-ro," the counter guy says "yee-ro."  If I order a "yee-ro," the counter guy says "jai-ro."

I have had the same experience.  I figure making sandwiches all day is a crummy job and if fuck*ng with me about pronunciation is the only fun they get to have, they're welcome to it.

Thank you Ray. Taking charge and deciding then and there that this WILL be a party and there WILL be merriment come Jeeps or high water jeans!

Thank you Hobo. This made me feel better.  We all need a Ray in our lives, you know?
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

jcreed

  • Dr. Kisses
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 37
    • View Profile
    • http://jcreed.org
Re: March 28, 2006 - When I am younger sure, ok, but not so much now
« Reply #18 on: March 28, 2006, 04:06:45 pm »

Anyone else notice that the black in this strip is actually #333333? Damn, it is a thing, isn't it? A symbolic thing. Like, the world where black is black and white is white just isn't the same anymore.
Logged

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
Re: March 28, 2006 - When I am younger sure, ok, but not so much now
« Reply #19 on: March 28, 2006, 04:23:40 pm »

Jcreed, we all notice that.  It comes up like twice a week at least.

Around here they call them "year-os" (like cheeri-os) but there's this one greek guy who runs a local pizza shop (a well-kept secret in Philly is that all of the best pizza places are greek rather than italian) and insists that back in the country (Greece) they're called "gear-o's", which kinda splits the difference between year-o and jai-ro.

Well, the uncle has more of an eastern european / Turkish accent than he does Greek, but who knows what Circumstances he's from too.  Maybe he had to live in Turkey for a while after the War.

This one was pretty thick with content.  Lots of hits and lots of misses.  JUST LIKE LIFE.

Drygioni

  • formerly Judy
  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 194
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1796
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK
Re: March 28, 2006 - When I am younger sure, ok, but not so much now
« Reply #20 on: March 28, 2006, 04:34:34 pm »

On the subject of Beef's uncle's ethnicity, has ever there been a strip that explains Beef's ethnic background? Something like Kazenzaki could accomodate the whole spectrum of Eastern Europe. I damn hope he's blood of Polish.

Pretty much repeating already made points, but the characterisation today was fantastic; it's like I've known Roast Beef's ol' Greek uncle for years, and I felt kind of sad he was falling on hard times. Good old Ray the philanthropist, party giver and GOF Champion. (Does he know what a philanthropist is?)
Logged
I am sorry for my behaviour last night.

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: March 28, 2006 - When I am younger sure, ok, but not so much now
« Reply #21 on: March 28, 2006, 04:37:41 pm »

We know that Beef's background is Greek.  He talks about it in the cookbook, for one thing. Are you going to tell me that you have not bought the cookbook?  You are making a big mistake.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

Drygioni

  • formerly Judy
  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 194
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1796
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK
Re: March 28, 2006 - When I am younger sure, ok, but not so much now
« Reply #22 on: March 28, 2006, 04:44:45 pm »

Cook-book-less. I survive on fast food and have no need for this crazy idea of making your own food out of raw ingredients. In all seriousness though, if I ever got the Achewood cookbook it is probably the one thing that would inspire my lazy mind to start making up some cordon bleu masterpieces.

If it says Roast Beef is Greek in the strips somewhere, I need to do some serious re-reading. Much thanks Wombat.
Logged
I am sorry for my behaviour last night.

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: March 28, 2006 - When I am younger sure, ok, but not so much now
« Reply #23 on: March 28, 2006, 04:59:37 pm »

If it says Roast Beef is Greek in the strips somewhere, I need to do some serious re-reading. Much thanks Wombat.

Check the Blogs...

~Paul
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: March 28, 2006 - When I am younger sure, ok, but not so much now
« Reply #24 on: March 28, 2006, 05:05:18 pm »

Hurray!  Achewood is back!
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

idiomsavant

  • Dr. Kisses
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 4
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 42
    • View Profile
Re: March 28, 2006 - When I am younger sure, ok, but not so much now
« Reply #25 on: March 28, 2006, 05:08:02 pm »

Check the Blogs...

~Paul

Right here, for instance. Looks like Uncle George is Gramma K's brother.
Logged

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: March 28, 2006 - When I am younger sure, ok, but not so much now
« Reply #26 on: March 28, 2006, 05:09:14 pm »

Cook-book-less. I survive on fast food and have no need for this crazy idea of making your own food out of raw ingredients. In all seriousness though, if I ever got the Achewood cookbook it is probably the one thing that would inspire my lazy mind to start making up some cordon bleu masterpieces.

If it says Roast Beef is Greek in the strips somewhere, I need to do some serious re-reading. Much thanks Wombat.

Well back in his blog Beef explains being both Greek and yet Roman Catholic, not to mention the first mention I know of of [Great] Uncle George. And of course he flat out says he's greek in the cookbook but I can't think of a strip where it's mentioned.

Edit: Dammit, this is what i get for eating lunch
Logged

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: March 28, 2006 - When I am younger sure, ok, but not so much now
« Reply #27 on: March 28, 2006, 05:33:37 pm »

It doesn't matter if you cook, the cookbook is excellent reading, much like the blogs. Also it is specifically written for a guy who uses a plate as a cutting board, etc.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

Hobot

  • DISK ONE OF SIX
  • Teodor
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 21
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 861
  • Appearing in a tortilla near you.
    • View Profile
    • Your music is inadequate.
Re: March 28, 2006 - When I am younger sure, ok, but not so much now
« Reply #28 on: March 28, 2006, 06:40:07 pm »

"Crazy Sticks"? But they are also bread.

What marvelous times we live in indeed.

That Uncle George is so real I can taste it.  'Stad certainly has a thing for characterization. 

KRONOS CAFE: WHERE TIME WILL EAT YOU!

I know, cheap mythology joke.  I am sorry about this achewood board.

Damnit, you beat me to the Kronos/Time reference.  But continuing in this noble tradition, I'd like to point out that the line, "What should we do, man?  This is the time!" directly precedes Beef's first mention of Kronos Cafe.  Also, "I mostly come to the cafe so you Aunt Nina can be alone" reminds me of Aphrodite and Hephaestus.  Coincidence, or over-analysis?
Logged
You had me at "I dig both ladies and fellows."

misterqueue

  • Sick Fuck
  • VIP
  • R I S O T T O ?
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 25
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 2011
  • I can do anything I want. And so can you.
    • View Profile
    • A Reason for Diseasin'
Re: March 28, 2006 - When I am younger sure, ok, but not so much now
« Reply #29 on: March 28, 2006, 06:53:47 pm »

Damnit, you beat me to the Kronos/Time reference.  But continuing in this noble tradition, I'd like to point out that the line, "What should we do, man?  This is the time!" directly precedes Beef's first mention of Kronos Cafe.  Also, "I mostly come to the cafe so you Aunt Nina can be alone" reminds me of Aphrodite and Hephaestus.  Coincidence, or over-analysis?

*swoons*
Logged
So it's satire, is it?  Well that changes everything!

Lockjaw is serious times.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Up