Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Did you know...
That Word Front, the kind host of TOUAMB.com, offers high quality t-shirts for sale?

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Down

Author Topic: March 28, 2006 - When I am younger sure, ok, but not so much now  (Read 19036 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

AlohaDawg

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 79
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4184
  • Crawlin' back to prosperity
    • View Profile
Re: March 28, 2006 - When I am younger sure, ok, but not so much now
« Reply #30 on: March 28, 2006, 07:58:13 pm »

reminds me of Aphrodite and Hephaestus.  Coincidence, or over-analysis?

You can read the TOUAMBIES 'worst first effort award' thread to really understand just how potentially frightening this post really is. It could be nominated in the "Echoes of Monkey Punch" award if we wanted to have one. Since Hobot is a hotbot and a non-crap non-dude, no foul....but yikes.

I advise killing this line of conversation as quickly as possible and moving on.

All n00bs, that thread should be required reading in the 'how not to be a crap dude' category.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2006, 08:02:40 pm by AlohaDawg »
Logged

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: March 28, 2006 - When I am younger sure, ok, but not so much now
« Reply #31 on: March 28, 2006, 08:49:26 pm »

It's crow weather...
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

V-Adore

  • Guest
Re: March 28, 2006 - When I am younger sure, ok, but not so much now
« Reply #32 on: March 28, 2006, 09:07:19 pm »

Please, no further references to monkey punch. (Should that be m***** p****?) Thinking about that post still gives me hives. Hiiiives. Even if it didn't compare to the "tell me if you think Onstad is a fat dude so I can properly describe him in my self-insertion erotic Achewood fanfiction" winner of the Worst First Effort thing... gyah!
Logged

AlohaDawg

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 79
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4184
  • Crawlin' back to prosperity
    • View Profile
Re: March 28, 2006 - When I am younger sure, ok, but not so much now
« Reply #33 on: March 28, 2006, 09:29:48 pm »

Please, no further references to monkey punch. (Should that be m***** p****?) Thinking about that post still gives me hives. Hiiiives. Even if it didn't compare to the "tell me if you think Onstad is a fat dude so I can properly describe him in my self-insertion erotic Achewood fanfiction" winner of the Worst First Effort thing... gyah!

Ewww, thanks, a worse memory than M***** P****.
Logged

LCB

  • Chucklebot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 113
  • ...when you get the blues in the night
    • View Profile
Re: March 28, 2006 - When I am younger sure, ok, but not so much now
« Reply #34 on: March 28, 2006, 10:46:20 pm »

I don't like this strip. I would have preferred to see one where Beef and Ray go off road and end up lying under a tree, spending a night looking up at the stars, talking about their feelings and spooning.

And so I'm going to write a fanfic wherein that happens and post it here for everybody to read.

No, kidding of course.

OR AM I? Well, I am.

Kidding that is.
Logged
Which way to the vomitorium, centurion?

Hobo Frenzy

  • Showbiz
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 3
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 222
  • fuck*ng Moto Guzzi
    • View Profile
    • the best site in the universe
Re: March 28, 2006 - When I am younger sure, ok, but not so much now
« Reply #35 on: March 28, 2006, 11:01:06 pm »

Are you kidding about not writing it? Because if you do write it, you know how to contact me.
Logged
Hey, what's this? Cursive?

bonaparte

  • Dr. Kisses
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 3
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 35
    • View Profile
Re: March 28, 2006 - When I am younger sure, ok, but not so much now
« Reply #36 on: March 28, 2006, 11:09:17 pm »

Ray Smuckles is a wonderful man.  He's also French, check it a while back when Beef told him he can't go around eating a wedge of brie in the manner of pie.
Logged

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: March 28, 2006 - When I am younger sure, ok, but not so much now
« Reply #37 on: March 28, 2006, 11:18:37 pm »

ok, well
gyros is γύρος . Does anyone take greek? or anything? Transliterating does not help.

If no one has answered by the time I go to bed tonight, I'm writing it out and bringing it to the greek teacher at my school.


although, maybe the pronunciation of letters has changed from ancient greek?

The only comment I can make is that this is the omicron, not the omega, so it should be a short o. "-ross".
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

Hobot

  • DISK ONE OF SIX
  • Teodor
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 21
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 861
  • Appearing in a tortilla near you.
    • View Profile
    • Your music is inadequate.
Re: March 28, 2006 - When I am younger sure, ok, but not so much now
« Reply #38 on: March 29, 2006, 12:08:13 am »

ok, well
gyros is ????? . Does anyone take greek? or anything? Transliterating does not help.

If no one has answered by the time I go to bed tonight, I'm writing it out and bringing it to the greek teacher at my school.


although, maybe the pronunciation of letters has changed from ancient greek?

The only comment I can make is that this is the omicron, not the omega, so it should be a short o. "-ross".

Apparently the pronunciation of the upsilon in Modern Greek is "ee," whereas in Ancient Greek it could be either that or "oo."  With that in mind, the word should be pronounced something like "gee'-ross."
Logged
You had me at "I dig both ladies and fellows."

Noah

  • Showbiz
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 0
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 200
    • View Profile
Re: March 28, 2006 - When I am younger sure, ok, but not so much now
« Reply #39 on: March 29, 2006, 12:12:36 am »

hey jough have you ever been to south street souvlaki

i had some gyros there a few days ago (i said yee-ros) they were pretty delicious
Logged

smick

  • -=Ray=-
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1351
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1437
  • MasturBot 342: ONLINE
    • View Profile
Re: March 28, 2006 - When I am younger sure, ok, but not so much now
« Reply #40 on: March 29, 2006, 12:17:05 am »

I think the gyro pronunciation debate may be a question similar to inquire v. enquire.  They're variants of the same.

m-w.com has two pronunciations for gyro.  (Three if you include #1, which is geheye-row as in gyroscope or gyrocopter.)

2 and 3 are the food based pronunciations.

http://www.m-w.com/cgi-bin/audio.pl?gyro0002.wav=gyro
http://www.m-w.com/cgi-bin/audio.pl?gyro0003.wav=gyro

My suggestion for future smarty-bottoms food correctors:  Correct them back with a third, and nonsensical pronunciation.  For instance - Gee-ree-yow.  Or better yet, explain to them that Emily Post would roll up her sleeves and make them suck an egg.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2006, 12:22:10 am by smick »
Logged

Ben-San

  • -=Ray=-
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 164
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1259
  • Two-Fisted Detective
    • View Profile
Re: March 28, 2006 - When I am younger sure, ok, but not so much now
« Reply #41 on: March 29, 2006, 12:24:45 am »

hey jough have you ever been to south street souvlaki

i had some gyros there a few days ago (i said yee-ros) they were pretty delicious

If that is the place I am thinking of they are some pretty tasty gyros. Are gyros one of those foods where if you don't actually do it badly, it's always delicious?
Logged

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: March 28, 2006 - When I am younger sure, ok, but not so much now
« Reply #42 on: March 29, 2006, 01:12:15 am »

man, I did not realize that the greek letters would completely be destroyed.=

and yes, saying that a nonsensical third pronunciation is right is best.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

LCB

  • Chucklebot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 113
  • ...when you get the blues in the night
    • View Profile
Re: March 28, 2006 - When I am younger sure, ok, but not so much now
« Reply #43 on: March 29, 2006, 02:28:01 am »

...staring up at the Big Dipper, he found himself unable to say what weighed heavy upon his soul.

"It's just...my father man. I had so many questions to ask him...I thought I'd find myself at the GOF, discover who I really am, what I'm really made of but there are just so many more questions I need to answer now..."

"there there, dogg i'm here for you"

Ray wept openly and unashamedly. "I've been to the GOF, but I've never been to me!"

"we gots us a cycle and sidecar Ray and lots of free time. i think we can find you out there on the open road."

Beef clasped his paw over Ray's, behind Ray's glasses he could see his old friend's eyes sparkling with tears.

"we can find the answers...together."

Cont. Chapter 3.

COMMENTS: Well guys, I hope you haven't been too much in suspense. I know some people prefer the comic storyline where Ray and Beef go to get gyros and the same old same old starts all oever again   ::) but I think Ray and Beef deserve better than that. The GOF was a wrenching storyline and I wish Onstad had explored Our Favorite Cats emotional wounds a little deeper. And besides Ray/Beef are soooooooooo cute 2gether!  ;D ;D ;D

Tell me waht you think but no meanie critiscisms plz! :D
Logged
Which way to the vomitorium, centurion?

V-Adore

  • Guest
Re: March 28, 2006 - When I am younger sure, ok, but not so much now
« Reply #44 on: March 29, 2006, 03:06:36 am »

Thank you. I believe I have now stared into the very gaping maw of the Abyss.

I may be the only one, but I'll give you a tiny can for that. Perhaps it will hold off the coming storm.
Logged
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Up