Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

"Artists need to make money to eat and to continue to make art. Artists used to rely on middlemen to collect their money on their behalf, thereby rendering themselves innocent of cash-handling in the public eye. Artists will now be coming straight to you (yes YOU, you who want their music, their films, their books) for their paychecks. Please welcome them. Please help them. Please do not make them feel badly about asking you directly for money.” -Amanda Palmer

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6   Go Down

Author Topic: March 28, 2006 - When I am younger sure, ok, but not so much now  (Read 19014 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Hobot

  • DISK ONE OF SIX
  • Teodor
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 21
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 861
  • Appearing in a tortilla near you.
    • View Profile
    • Your music is inadequate.
Re: March 28, 2006 - When I am younger sure, ok, but not so much now
« Reply #45 on: March 29, 2006, 03:13:52 am »

Thank you. I believe I have now stared into the very gaping maw of the Abyss.

I may be the only one, but I'll give you a tiny can for that. Perhaps it will hold off the coming storm.

I, too, rewarded LCB's endeavor.  It was a flawlessly executed piece of satire; it delicately perches on the Bough of Irony, above the Pit of Fanfic.
Logged
You had me at "I dig both ladies and fellows."

LCB

  • Chucklebot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 113
  • ...when you get the blues in the night
    • View Profile
Re: March 28, 2006 - When I am younger sure, ok, but not so much now
« Reply #46 on: March 29, 2006, 03:26:38 am »

I'm not proud of what I did, but it had to be done.

Because fanfiction is horrible.

Evidence.

The discovery, while looking up info on vintage TV series on the web, of archives and printed zines featuring erotic Man from UNCLE fanfiction.

Evidence.

Fanfiction.net. Look at it. Just look at it. The thousands of stories devtoted to Harry Potter. The incredibly dedicated, wordy stories devoted to justly obscure shows, books and cartoons. 1984 fanfiction. Mature rated fanfictions devoted to a Japanese kid's cartoon show about hamsters. Kung Fu: The Legend Continues fanfiction.  Homestar Runner fanfiction. HOMESTAR RUNNER FANFICTION

Logged
Which way to the vomitorium, centurion?

Ben-San

  • -=Ray=-
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 164
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1259
  • Two-Fisted Detective
    • View Profile
Re: March 28, 2006 - When I am younger sure, ok, but not so much now
« Reply #47 on: March 29, 2006, 03:36:01 am »

When I was at the World Science Fiction Convention I attended a panel about crossover between Japanese and American fandom. At this panel was presented documentary evidence of Japanese gay erotic fan comics of Starsky & Hutch from the late 1970s and early 1980s.
Logged

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: March 28, 2006 - When I am younger sure, ok, but not so much now
« Reply #48 on: March 29, 2006, 04:08:04 am »

You haven't lived (and by lived, I mean laughed so hard at the Woeful Plight that is being human that you died a little inside) until you've drunk deep of how far the Well of Fan-Fiction Loneliness really goes.

Oh, you can start with something that makes you sort of wish for a second Flood (this time, no exceptions, no damned ark) in an obvious and lurid sort of way, like... the self-insert fiction, the gay-slash fiction, the new made-up character in a large well-defined story-universe where the newcharacter is still somehow very much like an existing character anyway fiction... but that's only the beginning of one's desire to hide in a cave until death's sweet embrace.

You know you're really on The Road to Awful when you get into Crossover fiction... and go deeper and deeper, from crossovers that are almost logical enough to be forgivable... two companies superheroes, say... and into completely nonsensical realms like... Quantum Leap/Ranma 1/2 fan-fiction.

Furry self-insert? Yessir, there are people writing themselves reporting for duty on the Starship Enterprise as Lieutenant Weirdass Fox-Centaur-Thing.

Stories by other people based on minor new characters in some else's six-novel-length self-insert?

Why not have that crossover with someone else's? Perhaps with a were-duck of some kind.

It is, like, this sublime point where you go beyond staring into The Abyss and beyond The Abyss staring back at you and to the point where you can honestly tell The Abyss "Take a picture, it'll last longer."

It is probably the point when you're reading a story written by an obese 34-year-old telemarketer, where he is a half-woman half-hoss, explaining to Captain Picard and Duncan MacLeod what would happen to a Quickening if the Immortal died by phase... and it is suddenly clear:

This is how this fellow prevents himself from taking his own life.

Or maybe I'm just weird.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
Re: March 28, 2006 - When I am younger sure, ok, but not so much now
« Reply #49 on: March 29, 2006, 05:15:11 am »

hey jough have you ever been to south street souvlaki

i had some gyros there a few days ago (i said yee-ros) they were pretty delicious

I think I have, actually.  There are a bunch of Greek places on and around South Street, which is Philly's hipster village (although not where the art scene is - that would be Olde City).

And I guess the literati hang around Rittenhouse Square.  It's all so quaint and cute for those who come from a real city like New York, Chicago, or L.A.

MattFish

  • Lie Bot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 43
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 371
  • A perch with a cramp / Half-pound ahi burger
    • View Profile
Re: March 28, 2006 - When I am younger sure, ok, but not so much now
« Reply #50 on: March 29, 2006, 07:57:01 am »

Or maybe I'm just weird.

What's the point of writing up an extensive skewering of the fanfiction community if you're going to punctuate it with a possibility that, in fact, you are the weird one? I think that pretty much destroyed any ground you gained.
Logged
I finally found a nice picture of a giraffe

robot_god

  • roast beef (the middle cat)
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 74
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1195
  • Oh my gosh, dude.
    • View Profile
    • ALP Myspace Site
Re: March 28, 2006 - When I am younger sure, ok, but not so much now
« Reply #51 on: March 29, 2006, 08:18:41 am »

LCB:  Outstanding italicization, above all.





Heh.  Italicization.  Sounds like 'to say something in a bad italian accent.'


Fun fact:  Last week I registered the url baditalianaccent.com.

Um... does anyone know a good place for cheap webhosting?

Logged
ACHIEVE

swinehund

  • Chucklebot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 140
  • you cannot defeat me, I wear the mask of vulcan
    • View Profile
    • blaagh
Re: March 28, 2006 - When I am younger sure, ok, but not so much now
« Reply #52 on: March 29, 2006, 08:31:22 am »

This is how this fellow prevents himself from taking his own life.

Somehow, I can see how the autobiographical erotic fanfic might serve this purpose, but I still don't understand what would possess someone to write Mario Kart fanfic.
Logged

Ben-San

  • -=Ray=-
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 164
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1259
  • Two-Fisted Detective
    • View Profile
Re: March 28, 2006 - When I am younger sure, ok, but not so much now
« Reply #53 on: March 29, 2006, 09:33:42 am »

Somehow, I can see how the autobiographical erotic fanfic might serve this purpose, but I still don't understand what would possess someone to write Mario Kart fanfic.

Title: LAS3: Luigi's Eggcellent Adventure
Script format, fan-created characters
Reviews: 9 (all positive)

Selected randomly from fanfiction.net's "Mario" section. That third statistic there indicates the active element involved.

Left unchecked, the results can be epically disastrous.
Logged

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: March 28, 2006 - When I am younger sure, ok, but not so much now
« Reply #54 on: March 29, 2006, 01:48:48 pm »

Does it count as fan-fic if it's a public domain work? Like if I were to write a story set in Oz (not involving the movie) it would inhabit some grey area between fan-fiction and canon and that basically scares the hell out of me.

Um... does anyone know a good place for cheap webhosting?

I use Jiffynet which can be insanely cheap depending on what you need. For example I pay $20 a year.
Logged

Drastic Action

  • Chucklebot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 29
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 194
  • Zounds!
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
Re: March 28, 2006 - When I am younger sure, ok, but not so much now
« Reply #55 on: March 29, 2006, 04:57:48 pm »

What the hell is with fanfiction writers and retarded grammar?  "The dawn of a early morning was half way into the sky ..",  ".. make them have a encounter .."

Apparently spelling is too much, too: "So he lazly got up and perpared for breakfast."

This is with specifically ignoring the subject matter.  Reading too much stupidness at once, who knows what might happen to me.  I will cease clicking those links.
Logged
~

Bobby Isosceles

  • Guest
Re: March 28, 2006 - When I am younger sure, ok, but not so much now
« Reply #56 on: March 29, 2006, 06:04:34 pm »

...staring up at the Big Dipper, he found himself unable to say what weighed heavy upon his soul.

"It's just...my father man. I had so many questions to ask him...I thought I'd find myself at the GOF, discover who I really am, what I'm really made of but there are just so many more questions I need to answer now..."

"there there, dogg i'm here for you"

Ray wept openly and unashamedly. "I've been to the GOF, but I've never been to me!"

"we gots us a cycle and sidecar Ray and lots of free time. i think we can find you out there on the open road."

Beef clasped his paw over Ray's, behind Ray's glasses he could see his old friend's eyes sparkling with tears.

"we can find the answers...together."

Cont. Chapter 3.

COMMENTS: Well guys, I hope you haven't been too much in suspense. I know some people prefer the comic storyline where Ray and Beef go to get gyros and the same old same old starts all oever again   ::) but I think Ray and Beef deserve better than that. The GOF was a wrenching storyline and I wish Onstad had explored Our Favorite Cats emotional wounds a little deeper. And besides Ray/Beef are soooooooooo cute 2gether!  ;D ;D ;D

Tell me waht you think but no meanie critiscisms plz! :D


Jough, you need to smite this into negative can oblivion.
Logged

swinehund

  • Chucklebot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 140
  • you cannot defeat me, I wear the mask of vulcan
    • View Profile
    • blaagh
Re: March 28, 2006 - When I am younger sure, ok, but not so much now
« Reply #57 on: March 29, 2006, 06:05:42 pm »

What the hell is with fanfiction writers and retarded grammar?

I expect that the cavalier attitude towards grammar, spelling, and subject matter are all related, somehow.
Logged

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
Re: March 28, 2006 - When I am younger sure, ok, but not so much now
« Reply #58 on: March 29, 2006, 06:45:16 pm »

Jough, you need to smite this into negative can oblivion.

Oh, I don't know, Bobby, it's not like LCB was being a cock to a stranger or anything.

Also, why does Noah have negative cans?  Is he totally a crap dude and I just forgot?

Also, my can count seems to be diminishing by one per hour - is someone with a vendetta setting a timer and remembering to come back once per hour just to take away a message board karma token?  Is this really how low some people's lives have become?

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
Re: March 28, 2006 - When I am younger sure, ok, but not so much now
« Reply #59 on: March 29, 2006, 06:46:09 pm »

I expect that the cavalier attitude towards grammar, spelling, and subject matter are all related, somehow.

And allow me to bestow your first TCoDP for this.  Also, another for your avatar.

We're just throwing them around today, people.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6   Go Up