Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Man Pat you don't gotta talk to me like they teach you in that class for people with too much anger.

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Hey kids, I'm back!  (Read 5847 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

V-Adore

  • Guest
Re: Hey kids, I'm back!
« Reply #15 on: April 01, 2006, 08:43:52 pm »

Awesome. It's good to have you back, and it's good to have another mad scientist around! Muwahahaha.
Logged

Mite

  • Motel 6 Kind of Girl
  • King of the Make-Outs
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 6
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 584
    • View Profile
Re: Hey kids, I'm back!
« Reply #16 on: April 01, 2006, 09:10:37 pm »

Boy is my face red. I have no earthly idea why I put research project in quotes. I gotta quit posting in the morning. Yes, it's a flaming guitar, and it's awesome. I think it needs another touchup, but whatever. The coasters came from my mom (from when she lived in Germany), and they got Boing Boinged!

And the beatin' stick is available for any poster in need of a little punishment. Or am I bluffing?
Logged
I'm no longer a Bankhead teacher, but I'll still take your cookies.

Hobo Frenzy

  • Showbiz
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 3
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 222
  • fuck*ng Moto Guzzi
    • View Profile
    • the best site in the universe
Re: Hey kids, I'm back!
« Reply #17 on: April 02, 2006, 12:29:11 am »

And the beatin' stick is available for any poster in need of a little punishment. Or am I bluffing?

See now this would have be a perfect time to bust out those quotation marks. You would have gotten jough all fired up again, too.

Also, Hello to you Mite. You seem to have a nice cat. I liked those pictures, especially the one of the cat sitting contently on his tower de scratch.
Logged
Hey, what's this? Cursive?

Mite

  • Motel 6 Kind of Girl
  • King of the Make-Outs
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 6
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 584
    • View Profile
Re: Hey kids, I'm back!
« Reply #18 on: April 02, 2006, 01:46:41 am »

Also, Hello to you Mite. You seem to have a nice cat. I liked those pictures, especially the one of the cat sitting contently on his tower de scratch.
Thank you. Don't let the tubbiness fool you, Moggie's a killer. She's from the streets, yo.

And Jough doesn't need any more encouragement. I'd use a winky face here, but those things up there kinda scare me.
Logged
I'm no longer a Bankhead teacher, but I'll still take your cookies.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Hey kids, I'm back!
« Reply #19 on: April 02, 2006, 06:27:45 am »

heyy
I am new. Your happy wedding pictures make me glad. Congratulations on that.

I like the transistor rings. That is love.

When I don't know someone and I try to be friendly, I get all awkward, even on the internet. damn.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

Mite

  • Motel 6 Kind of Girl
  • King of the Make-Outs
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 6
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 584
    • View Profile
Re: Hey kids, I'm back!
« Reply #20 on: April 02, 2006, 11:44:42 am »

Yeah, I'm a bit awkward too. But your avatar is fuzzy, so that's awesome.

The resistor rings were a suprise. We realized on Thursday that, if I wanted health insurance without breaking the bank, we would need to get married the next day. We got the license on our lunch break Thursday, and went to the courthouse for the complementary group ceremony on Friday. At 3 pm, August 19th, we were joined together in the eyes of the law by Judge Pinkie Toomer. I was not expecting rings or anything, but my man was off on Friday, and he's mighty handy with electronics and solder and stuff, so he whipped them up. We then celebrated in the stock room of my job (hence all the sciency-looking junk behind us). And, I lived the dream I'd had since childhood - I got married in my Chuck Ts. We honeymooned at the local science museum.

The rings, sadly, weren't all that comfortable, and they have been retired.

I highly recommend eloping for insurance/tax benefits. It's way low stress, with a lot of payoff. I mean, living in sin was great and all, but now we've got all of that fun, plus cheap car insurance. It's a win-win.
Logged
I'm no longer a Bankhead teacher, but I'll still take your cookies.

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Hey kids, I'm back!
« Reply #21 on: April 02, 2006, 02:42:14 pm »

That is the most romantic story.

And yes, eloping is the only way to go, really.  Subvert the wedding-industrial complex!
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Hey kids, I'm back!
« Reply #22 on: April 02, 2006, 06:22:48 pm »

mann, my friend's mom is a Mad Scientist, too. Or at least, she was.

Now she just makes awkward hints that she thinks we're going to date, and then get married. Despite the fact that I have a girlfriend.

But anyway, that is the coolest job in the world. The kids must think you are the "bee's knees".
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

Hobot

  • DISK ONE OF SIX
  • Teodor
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 21
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 861
  • Appearing in a tortilla near you.
    • View Profile
    • Your music is inadequate.
Re: Hey kids, I'm back!
« Reply #23 on: April 02, 2006, 07:07:03 pm »

mann, my friend's mom is a Mad Scientist, too. Or at least, she was.

Now she just makes awkward hints that she thinks we're going to date, and then get married. Despite the fact that I have a girlfriend.

But anyway, that is the coolest job in the world. The kids must think you are the "bee's knees".

And/or the "cat's meow."

Hi, Mite!  I'm one of those pesky newcomers you'll probably find necessary to get to know, but I have an ace up my sleeve: I am a mad scientist-in-training.  What kind of research are you planning to do?
Logged
You had me at "I dig both ladies and fellows."

Mite

  • Motel 6 Kind of Girl
  • King of the Make-Outs
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 6
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 584
    • View Profile
Re: Hey kids, I'm back!
« Reply #24 on: April 02, 2006, 07:13:25 pm »

Yeah, my job's pretty good. The perils of small-business-running can be pretty serious, though. I don't get to actually teach the children as much now; I mostly work behind the scenes. But doing science experiments with kids is way more awesome than teaching 8th graders. Way more.

My professor does work in commutative algebras and algebraic geometry, so that's what I'll be working on this summer. I want to get my PhD in math, though to be honest I don't really have a chosen subfield yet. I'm still waiting on being formally accepted at this point.
Logged
I'm no longer a Bankhead teacher, but I'll still take your cookies.

V-Adore

  • Guest
Re: Hey kids, I'm back!
« Reply #25 on: April 02, 2006, 11:13:32 pm »

My professor does work in commutative algebras and algebraic geometry, so that's what I'll be working on this summer. I want to get my PhD in math, though to be honest I don't really have a chosen subfield yet. I'm still waiting on being formally accepted at this point.

My sympathies; if there's one process I hate in this world, it's graduate school searching. Ye gah.
Logged

AlohaDawg

  • Moderator
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 79
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4184
  • Crawlin' back to prosperity
    • View Profile
Re: Hey kids, I'm back!
« Reply #26 on: April 03, 2006, 07:07:07 am »

This is where I feel like I did it right. I worked in my chosen field for years and my employer paid for grad school. That way I had a career already and free school, and I got paid while I went to school. Wins all around.

Also, it was fun to make fun of all the grad school students who had no idea how cold and lonely the real world is. Beating the idealistic stupidity out of young 20-somethings is fuckin' entertaining, yo.
Logged

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Hey kids, I'm back!
« Reply #27 on: April 03, 2006, 11:33:42 am »

mann
you're working some rough chuckles these days.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

V-Adore

  • Guest
Re: Hey kids, I'm back!
« Reply #28 on: April 03, 2006, 01:30:01 pm »

Ah, good; it was about time to have my life choices indirectly disapproved of by someone around here. Now I feel just the right mix of ambivalent joy-terror about graduate school. ... Oh, wait, that was there before! Never mind! Carry on!
Logged

AlohaDawg

  • Moderator
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 79
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4184
  • Crawlin' back to prosperity
    • View Profile
Re: Hey kids, I'm back!
« Reply #29 on: April 03, 2006, 06:53:31 pm »

The world needs academics too. Just don't become one of those so heavily campus-insulated academics that you lose the ability to relate to the world outside academia. Those people are sad and comical at the same time. The ones I'm referring to are the public health kids who refuse to acknowledge that there might be really boring, really tough public health work to do with really difficult, really needy people right here in the US inner cities. They'd much rather go to  Guatemala and pat little children on the head. That kind of shit infuriates me to no end.
Logged
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up