But that really is what non-scientists don't understand about scientists, isn't it. They don't understand the absolute awesomeness of the feeling that, holy shit, that makes sense!
Exactly, and it brings a lot of happiness too, to certain people.
Depression is often brought about by feeling a lack of control, and greater understanding of the processes that one is subject to can restore that. Lots of events become less bewildering and frightening.
Personally, I found the notion that there was a creator and purpose behind everything more depressing, because it meant that 1) I was totally not getting what this purpose was, and therefore probably screwing up pretty badly 2) all the insults the world subjected me to were personal. I greatly prefer a world in which those things aren't true.
I don't think that people can escape being subject to wonder anymore than they can avoid craving fatty foods, but the things that do it for them are going to be different and are likely to change. I'm no longer enthralled by playing with the faucet like I was when I was 3, either (at least not most days).