My science teacher told us that most of the very cleverest scientists leading the field in astrophysics and the study of the Universe are actually theologians; apparently, after seeing how small the chances are for, say, the properties of a proton to be EXACTLY right for everything in the Universe to exist, they believe there must be some divine intervention.
I'll admit I'm naive and ask you clever people: Is he bullshitting? I have to admit that I am biased against the idea of a creator/God; I would like to think he's merely trying to reintroduce religion into public schools (fat chance), but I have less than half the lifetime some of you guys do. Help me out, you know your stuff.
In agreement with sideshow, I find it difficult to get involved in this discussion, nowadays. But I would be doing a disservice to myself and what I believe if I did not share what I think on the subject.
The universe, basically,
is god. God is the only thing that cannot exist, that is the concepts of "nothing" and "infinity." The universe is the best possible expression of the ideas of nothing/infinity, which results in three dimensional space. Three dimensions is the best representation of infinity for this reason: "Nothing" = 1; 1/3 = .33333333333333repeattoinfinity; It is impossible to divide "nothing" by three, the result is an infinte number.
This is not to say that god is limited to existing as the universe. The same idea of infinity is certainly within every non-living molecule, and therefore in the molecules of every living thing, as well. God therefore exists in the mind of every thing and is experienced as conscious thought. Basically, every man, woman, dog, plant, and hydrogen atom exist, in full, as god.
To most, these ideas may sound like insanity that a schizo experienced in several hallucinations. And they are. When I word it out, it sounds like insanity to me, as well. But those hallucinations were simply my brain shutting down, allowing me to exist inside my subconsious mind for an amount of time. I have received the criticisms before. "That's just some drug induced insanity." "You got your beliefs from the movie Pi." Maybe, but I know what I saw, and I cannot believe anything else after I experienced it. In other news, I am a former, confirmed Roman Catholic. I had to label myself as something nowadays, I suppose it would be Buddhist. I think Taoism is basically the exact same thing, but I haven't learned anything about it, yet.
The strongest piece of evidence that god is an asymptote is probably the fact that an orgasm is experienced as the feeling of a spring being streched into a straight line. (Does the female orgasm feel like this? I do not know.)