Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

TOUAMB: Debating the decline and fall of Chris Onstad since 2003.

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 14   Go Down

Author Topic: What'cha Listening Too (New for 2006)  (Read 38903 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
Re: What'cha Listening Too (New for 2006)
« Reply #60 on: April 11, 2006, 06:37:35 am »

Agreed.

Stop Making Sense is really good too.  As is Morrissey, Live in Dallas.

I'm just saying.

Emmoh

  • Chucklebot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 120
    • View Profile
    • Shameless
Re: What'cha Listening Too (New for 2006)
« Reply #61 on: April 11, 2006, 05:20:15 pm »

I've been pretending I'm a lot older than I am, all listening to Over The Edge by The Wipers, Zen Arcade by Husker Du, and Jettison by Naked Raygun.

Oh and The Meadowlands by The Wrens, because that's something I do a lot of regardless of how old I'm feeling.

Drygioni

  • formerly Judy
  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 194
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1796
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK
Re: What'cha Listening Too (New for 2006)
« Reply #62 on: April 11, 2006, 07:13:34 pm »

Stop Making Sense is really good too.

Without a doubt the most fantastic concert movie ever. Seriously people, watch this. You will be skipping after watching this film.
Logged
I am sorry for my behaviour last night.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: What'cha Listening Too (New for 2006)
« Reply #63 on: April 11, 2006, 08:49:01 pm »

wow, I hated Stop Making Sense so much. it really upset me to watch it. I couldn't stand it.
dang.

Emmoh-- Yay to your music.

a while ago, I was at a concert where an awesome local band opened for The Wrens. I asked my then-girlfriend if she wanted to stay to see them, and she replied "no, they suck."

I assumed they were just some shitty local band. Damn.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

Emmoh

  • Chucklebot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 120
    • View Profile
    • Shameless
Re: What'cha Listening Too (New for 2006)
« Reply #64 on: April 11, 2006, 09:06:48 pm »

then-girlfriend

This is important. This means that she's gone and I don't have to insist that you get rid of her.

In fairness, if you listen to the Wrens once, they don't exactly sink their "talons" into you, after a few listens, though, you suddenly realize they're basically the best band ever...or at least out of New Jersey...right now...






Also, I just realized that I was mixing up Stop Making Sense (which I have never seen) and True Stories (which I have), and am no longer thoroughly confused as to what everyone was talking about.

lprkn

  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 244
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1907
  • Hella yellin' about the sex
    • View Profile
Re: What'cha Listening Too (New for 2006)
« Reply #65 on: April 11, 2006, 09:57:36 pm »

I'm listening to Monster Magnet and I can't stop.
Logged

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: What'cha Listening Too (New for 2006)
« Reply #66 on: April 11, 2006, 10:13:52 pm »

yeah.
man, there are so many good bands that I have missed due to ignorance. even if you don't count the ones that came through when I was in 3rd grade or so.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

pmcd9

  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: What'cha Listening Too (New for 2006)
« Reply #67 on: April 11, 2006, 10:27:06 pm »

I'm listening to Monster Magnet and I can't stop.

Have you tried Clutch?

~Paul
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

lprkn

  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 244
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1907
  • Hella yellin' about the sex
    • View Profile
Re: What'cha Listening Too (New for 2006)
« Reply #68 on: April 12, 2006, 01:16:48 am »

Paul: Clutch's Apostle.

I have indeed Paul. They are an intriguing group, although I haven't listened to them lately. I did hear 'Burning Beard' though, and liked it.
Logged

pmcd9

  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: What'cha Listening Too (New for 2006)
« Reply #69 on: April 12, 2006, 01:21:13 am »

Paul: Clutch's Apostle.

Oh no, i'm just a follower.  The Apostle is our missing friend Arkabee.  Where are you Arkabee?

~Paul
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: What'cha Listening Too (New for 2006)
« Reply #70 on: April 12, 2006, 01:32:29 am »

oh goodness, do any of you people like Slint?
because Spiderland is ruling my ass. This album is part of the reason I got such a good impression from Wash U-- I went into a record store. I realized I only had 10 $. I looked at two albums-- a neutral milk hotel album, and Spiderland. I finally chose spiderland. I walked outside, and a girl busking right outside the store was playing "in the aeroplane over the sea".

I know that is a stupid reason to like a college, but that stuck with me. that isn't the main reason, or even one of the major reasons...but it's a good story to tell.

also, my english teacher's highschool friend owns the record store. (I forget the name of it. it's the really cool and awesome one on the Loop, for any of you St. Louis-ians.

Anyway. Slint-- love 'em or hate 'em?
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

miles

  • Stinkfist
  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10030
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3476
    • View Profile
    • Last.fm
Re: What'cha Listening Too (New for 2006)
« Reply #71 on: April 12, 2006, 01:35:53 am »

Love 'em.  So does Bozack, if I recall correctly.  Where is he?

Anyway, they rock live, too.
Logged
Order is indeed the dream of man, but chaos, which is only another word for dumb, blind, witless chance, is still the law of nature. - Wallace Stegner

Hobot

  • DISK ONE OF SIX
  • Teodor
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 21
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 861
  • Appearing in a tortilla near you.
    • View Profile
    • Your music is inadequate.
Re: What'cha Listening Too (New for 2006)
« Reply #72 on: April 12, 2006, 01:38:50 am »

oh goodness, do any of you people like Slint?
because Spiderland is ruling my ass. This album is part of the reason I got such a good impression from Wash U-- I went into a record store. I realized I only had 10 $. I looked at two albums-- a neutral milk hotel album, and Spiderland. I finally chose spiderland. I walked outside, and a girl busking right outside the store was playing "in the aeroplane over the sea".

I know that is a stupid reason to like a college, but that stuck with me. that isn't the main reason, or even one of the major reasons...but it's a good story to tell.

also, my english teacher's highschool friend owns the record store. (I forget the name of it. it's the really cool and awesome one on the Loop, for any of you St. Louis-ians.

Anyway. Slint-- love 'em or hate 'em?

Don't know of 'em.  But I like your story.

Also, "In the Aeroplane over the Sea" is a wonderful song.
Logged
You had me at "I dig both ladies and fellows."

pmcd9

  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: What'cha Listening Too (New for 2006)
« Reply #73 on: April 12, 2006, 01:40:10 am »

Anyway. Slint-- love 'em or hate 'em?

I gotta explore this band really soon.  I had never heard of Slint until David Pajo hooked up with Billy Corgan in Zwan.  All the press I read was ridiculously high praise.  After hearing Zwan I was left scratching my head.  Then later I got Joya which has Pajo on it and that album is basically like treasure.  About the same time I got a mixdisc (thank you Bozack) which had Papa M on it.  Again, treasure.  So what the fuck am I waiting on.  Damn, gotta head back to Amazon.com.  So is Spiderland the one to get I take it?

~Paul
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

V-Adore

  • Guest
Re: What'cha Listening Too (New for 2006)
« Reply #74 on: April 12, 2006, 01:50:17 am »

Update re: "Fox Confessor Brings the Flood":

I have started listening to it, and now I can't stop.

Neko Case's voice is remarkable. I think I've said as much before, but it still stands!
Logged
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 14   Go Up