Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood Metallica would be a lot less powerful if they ended every show by reciting the ABCs.

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 14   Go Down

Author Topic: What'cha Listening Too (New for 2006)  (Read 38942 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

misterqueue

  • Sick Fuck
  • VIP
  • R I S O T T O ?
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 25
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 2011
  • I can do anything I want. And so can you.
    • View Profile
    • A Reason for Diseasin'
Re: What'cha Listening Too (New for 2006)
« Reply #75 on: April 12, 2006, 01:52:06 am »

oh goodness, do any of you people like Slint?
because Spiderland is ruling my ass. This album is part of the reason I got such a good impression from Wash U-- I went into a record store. I realized I only had 10 $. I looked at two albums-- a neutral milk hotel album, and Spiderland. I finally chose spiderland. I walked outside, and a girl busking right outside the store was playing "in the aeroplane over the sea".

I know that is a stupid reason to like a college, but that stuck with me. that isn't the main reason, or even one of the major reasons...but it's a good story to tell.

also, my english teacher's highschool friend owns the record store. (I forget the name of it. it's the really cool and awesome one on the Loop, for any of you St. Louis-ians.

Anyway. Slint-- love 'em or hate 'em?

Vintage Vinyl.  It's the best record store here though the Loop basically sucks.

In the Aeroplane over the Sea rocks so hard I can't even tell you.

I like Slint.... so much so that I even got the time Pinback referenced them in AFK.  Um.. that is all.  BLEEP

(Also Euclid records is pretty swank too)
Logged
So it's satire, is it?  Well that changes everything!

Lockjaw is serious times.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: What'cha Listening Too (New for 2006)
« Reply #76 on: April 12, 2006, 02:01:04 am »

the review on the record review site explains it like this:

"It's always a pleasure to review a classic album. When you consider that most albums are made by chimpanzees, it's always a treat to run across one that successfully channels an evocative mood through cerebral time signatures, strange made-up guitar chords, sympathetic instrumental interplay and innovative, harrowing melodies. I'm thinking specifically of The Eagles' Greatest Hits '71-'75, but many feel it would be inappropriate to devote the better half of this Slint review page to yet more praise for the Strandlund/Tempchin-penned "Already Gone" or the Tempchin-penned "Peaceful Easy Feeling," no matter how deserved such accolades might be (and ARE, although anyone with two ears could tell you that Tempchin contributed 200% more than Strandlund while receiving only 2/3rds the credit). Thus, I recur.

Nobody knows how Slint got good all of a sudden; it's one of the great unanswerable rock mysteries. You'd might as well ask a member of Queen whether Freddie Mercury was gay or not. It's simply something that we'll never know, and perhaps were never meant to know. But good they did, and get they were. The six lengthy tracks on Spiderland envelope the listener in a cold, damp blanket of desolate loneliness. Like music created by a bunch of emotionally numb yet incredibly talented people isolated in a cabin in the woods, these rainy, hopeless vignettes of sorrow, loss and fatigue paint the same suicidal portrait as the work of legendary Texas recluse Jandek -- but Slint can actually play their instruments! Also they're not completely insane.

Through the replacement of only one member (the bass player, who went on to form King Kong), the entire thinking mode of the band has changed. Although most of the vocals are still spoken word (except for one really poor excuse for singing that you kinda just have to deal with in life today, with terrorism), there is no confusion of intent or lack of purpose. The songs are built upon stark, emotionally bleak guitar hooks, occasionally interspersed with fleeting moments of hope (the 7/4-timed harmonics-driven riff that starts and closes "Breadcrumb Trail"), sick mental hospital creepiness (the unbalanced 5/4 hook that drives "Nosferatu Man") and mesmerizing atonal bass chords ("GOOD MORNING, CAPTAIN"!!!! "GOOD" fuck*ng "MORNING, CAPTAIN!" HAVE YOU FKCING HEARD THIS SONG??? IT'S FDKAKCING INMAZINGBLE!!!! I THINK IT WAS IN KIDS, A MOVIE THAT SUCKED!!!!). The guitar tones are smarter, fuller, and less stupid & immature. The band moves together as a unit, with never a moment wasted. Moments of math-rock (check out the noisy break in "Nosferatu Man," where the dude somehow sneaks two microsecond harmonics between careening blocks of chords - not once, but EVERY time they play it!), expanses of misery-ridden acoustic strumming, haunting late-Swans-style arpeggiated hooks, and finely-timed blasts of distorted blast-chords all play a role in this merciless defeat of the human spirit (that RULES!!!!!)."

anyway. i really love it.

I don't find it boring. some people, however, find it mind-numbingly boring.

also: I can't get into Pinback. I don't know. My crazy uncle (ie: my one "cool" relative who likes punk rock and such) gave me their cd two Christmases ago.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

misterqueue

  • Sick Fuck
  • VIP
  • R I S O T T O ?
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 25
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 2011
  • I can do anything I want. And so can you.
    • View Profile
    • A Reason for Diseasin'
Re: What'cha Listening Too (New for 2006)
« Reply #77 on: April 12, 2006, 02:10:16 am »


also: I can't get into Pinback. I don't know. My crazy uncle (ie: my one "cool" relative who likes punk rock and such) gave me their cd two Christmases ago.

Which one?  Is it the right one and furthermore why don't you drop by the channel sometime so you can properly be exposed to these things in REAL TIME!
Logged
So it's satire, is it?  Well that changes everything!

Lockjaw is serious times.

Hobot

  • DISK ONE OF SIX
  • Teodor
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 21
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 861
  • Appearing in a tortilla near you.
    • View Profile
    • Your music is inadequate.
Re: What'cha Listening Too (New for 2006)
« Reply #78 on: April 12, 2006, 02:24:47 am »

Which one?  Is it the right one and furthermore why don't you drop by the channel sometime so you can properly be exposed to these things in REAL TIME!

I second that motion.  Come play with us, theinevitable!  (For ever and ever...)
Logged
You had me at "I dig both ladies and fellows."

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: What'cha Listening Too (New for 2006)
« Reply #79 on: April 12, 2006, 03:03:32 am »

I am very happy that Vintage Vinyl is still around.  Half my record collection is from there.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

pmcd9

  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: What'cha Listening Too (New for 2006)
« Reply #80 on: April 12, 2006, 03:06:05 am »

I recieved a mixdisc some years ago from one of the denizens of this board.  It's entitled 239,000 miles from the Cure.  Which one of you fine people sent this disc to me?  There is no identifying marks and I can't remember.  I need to know.

~Paul
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

V-Adore

  • Guest
Re: What'cha Listening Too (New for 2006)
« Reply #81 on: April 12, 2006, 03:20:44 am »

I recieved a mixdisc some years ago from one of the denizens of this board.  It's entitled 239,000 miles from the Cure.  Which one of you fine people sent this disc to me?  There is no identifying marks and I can't remember.  I need to know.

~Paul

I believe that was sjlimmer's mix-CD. (Apologies to whoever made it if it wasn't...) A fine disk it was!
Logged

miles

  • Stinkfist
  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10030
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3476
    • View Profile
    • Last.fm
Re: What'cha Listening Too (New for 2006)
« Reply #82 on: April 12, 2006, 03:32:26 am »

Update re: "Fox Confessor Brings the Flood":

I have started listening to it, and now I can't stop.

Neko Case's voice is remarkable. I think I've said as much before, but it still stands!

Yeah, it's great.  What a voice!  I'm really disappointed she hasn't been touring with The New Pornographers.  I saw them twice this tour and she wasn't at either show.

Paul:  She'll be in Park City in June.  I don't know if I'll make it, because of family obligations, but I'm gonna try.
Logged
Order is indeed the dream of man, but chaos, which is only another word for dumb, blind, witless chance, is still the law of nature. - Wallace Stegner

pmcd9

  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: What'cha Listening Too (New for 2006)
« Reply #83 on: April 12, 2006, 05:29:33 pm »

Paul:  She'll be in Park City in June.  I don't know if I'll make it, because of family obligations, but I'm gonna try.

And it's on a Saturday, Huzzah!  What can you tell me about this venue, I'm guessing there will be advanced tickets for a show of this magnitude.

She obviously doesn't like Houston.  I see she's playing Austin yet again, and Dallas, but not Houston. 

~Paul
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

arkabee

  • VIP
  • -=Ray=-
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 153
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1280
  • i still hate the new forum software.
    • View Profile
Re: What'cha Listening Too (New for 2006)
« Reply #84 on: April 12, 2006, 06:11:05 pm »

Oh no, i'm just a follower.  The Apostle is our missing friend Arkabee.  Where are you Arkabee?


don't fight the crime, if you can't do the time.


finally got the other 3 American label Johnny Cash albums,
been listening to them.
great music to do yard work too.

just picked up the new Sleater Kinney cd,
most excellent.
Logged
"God forbid I'd ever be separated from my Duran Duran for a single minute!"
-August West
"Maybe Hanson or the Jonas Brothers might finally lose their shit one day."
-Nabubrush

pmcd9

  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: What'cha Listening Too (New for 2006)
« Reply #85 on: April 12, 2006, 06:29:54 pm »

I believe that was sjlimmer's mix-CD. (Apologies to whoever made it if it wasn't...) A fine disk it was!

Can anyone corroborate this?

~Paul

Edit:  Not that it was a fine disk, that part I know, but was it sjlimmer?
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

pmcd9

  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: What'cha Listening Too (New for 2006)
« Reply #86 on: April 12, 2006, 06:36:04 pm »

finally got the other 3 American label Johnny Cash albums, been listening to them. great music to do yard work too.

I have two of the four, I and IV to be precise and they are both great albums.  Gotta get the other two eventually.  I also lucked into a 4 disc box set of JC.  fuck*ng awesome.

~Paul
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

pmcd9

  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: What'cha Listening Too (New for 2006)
« Reply #87 on: April 12, 2006, 06:45:18 pm »

Yes it was, I still have it in the vehicle rotation. Limmo had the Todd Van cover art, The Mayor had the Bean cover art, you had Fractured Fairytales and SJLimmer had the 239.000 Earth/Moon cover.

Actually, all your disks, even El Guano's, are still in vehicle rotation for me.

Thank you.  Yes, I am wanting to put the originators name on the label so I can remember who I am grateful towards while I am listening to it.  The only cd's I brought from Houston are those mixdisc and I am only now getting around to ripping them so I can get them on my i-pod.  Yes, all of the mixdisc I got from this board are frikkin' awesome.  But you left out Starlight and Bozack (my personal favs), August West, Andalucia and V.  Dunston and Slink promised, but never delivered.  I'm still waiting Slink.

~Paul
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

V-Adore

  • Guest
Re: What'cha Listening Too (New for 2006)
« Reply #88 on: April 12, 2006, 07:09:45 pm »

I think it may be time to have another large-scale swap. I know I've been pondering some interesting ideas concerning anxiety and automatons that I think would make a great CD...
Logged

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
Re: What'cha Listening Too (New for 2006)
« Reply #89 on: April 12, 2006, 09:18:04 pm »

I am very happy that Vintage Vinyl is still around.  Half my record collection is from there.

Isn't that the place John Cusack owned in High Fidelity?

ALSO: I've found that there's a store like that in every big town, and the people that own it/work there always seem to have the *best* taste in music.  I have never been let down by their recommendations of old bands I'd never heard.

Last time: Love.  Before that: Uncle Tupelo.

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 14   Go Up