Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood There’s no Day for apologizing to our parents for all the stupid shit we put them through. Perhaps because we never finish before they die.

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 14   Go Down

Author Topic: What'cha Listening Too (New for 2006)  (Read 38920 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

pmcd9

  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: What'cha Listening Too (New for 2006)
« Reply #120 on: April 26, 2006, 07:28:32 pm »

Second listen to Ragged Glory is damn good.  Damn good indeed.

~Paul
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

BatzRadio

  • Dr. Kisses
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 39
  • Check the record, check the guy's rock record.
    • View Profile
    • http://batzradio.livejournal.com
Re: What'cha Listening Too (New for 2006)
« Reply #121 on: April 26, 2006, 09:51:39 pm »

Second the Ghostface album, but I haven't heard the new Kool Keith record.  Looks like he's releasing two albums this month?

Anyway, I agree, more or less, about 2005, but Madvillainy was released in 2004, which is one of my favorite albums of any genre.  Ghostface's album that year wasn't bad either.  But Madvillainy alone was enough to make it a good year.  Think I'll listen to it tonight.

I always forget that Madvillainy was in 2004, I guess because the leak was in '03.

But yeah, Keith's got Project Polaroid and Mr. Nogatco (Nogatco Rd.) this month alone. Plus he's got a Return of Dr. Octagon album coming later in the year. This isn't the same as that bad fan-compiled Dr. Octagon II from 2004 though.

Thing about Keith though, I suspect that he's gotten hungry to make amazing stuff again thanks to MF Doom's growing success. Hopefully this means they'll be doing an album together down the road now that Keith's back in the mood to do good weird shit.
Logged

starlight

  • Todd
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 2
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 323
    • View Profile
    • http://www.livejournal.com/~aekastar
Re: What'cha Listening Too (New for 2006)
« Reply #122 on: April 27, 2006, 04:46:50 am »

Hm... this week it's the new Elf Power, 'Back to the Web', the new Mountain Goats EP, 'Babylon Springs', and some post rock stuff I was sent...

I still am enamored with Birdmonster though.  it needs to be imported onto my iTunes list.. for now, I just drag out the disc.
Logged
Texas only kept me awake

miles

  • Stinkfist
  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10030
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3476
    • View Profile
    • Last.fm
Re: What'cha Listening Too (New for 2006)
« Reply #123 on: April 28, 2006, 04:04:57 am »

But man, why you gotta send me back to amazon.com for On the Beach?  Haven't I spent enough already?  I keep putting off getting that one because it's such depressing (albiet awesome) album.

It is a damned good album.  I love love love the last track.  'Ambulance Blues,' I think it's called.

How are you liking the Slint?
Logged
Order is indeed the dream of man, but chaos, which is only another word for dumb, blind, witless chance, is still the law of nature. - Wallace Stegner

pmcd9

  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: What'cha Listening Too (New for 2006)
« Reply #124 on: April 28, 2006, 01:51:38 pm »

How are you liking the Slint?

First impression, it's a bit lethargic.  I've got so much awesome new music to listen to right now it's not been given a real proper listen yet.  I think I'll give it a spin right now (just for you).

Summer in the Southeast (Bonnie 'Prince' Billy) is probably his best album ever (IMHO).

~Paul
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

miles

  • Stinkfist
  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10030
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3476
    • View Profile
    • Last.fm
Re: What'cha Listening Too (New for 2006)
« Reply #125 on: April 28, 2006, 11:48:09 pm »

Summer in the Southeast (Bonnie 'Prince' Billy) is probably his best album ever (IMHO).

I still haven't purchased this one, which, considering that the two times I've seen him with backing band are two of the best shows I've ever seen, is a bit strange.  I'll have to pick it up when I feel I can spend the money.  Maybe I can unload a few CDs at the local record shop.  I've purchased too many CDs and books lately.

First impression, it's a bit lethargic.  I've got so much awesome new music to listen to right now it's not been given a real proper listen yet.  I think I'll give it a spin right now (just for you).

I guess because Slint fans push this album so hard on others this is probably a common reaction.  That's probaby a good way to describe the album, anyway.  But yeah, give it some more listens.  There's nothing else in rock like it.
Logged
Order is indeed the dream of man, but chaos, which is only another word for dumb, blind, witless chance, is still the law of nature. - Wallace Stegner

pmcd9

  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: What'cha Listening Too (New for 2006)
« Reply #126 on: April 28, 2006, 11:53:42 pm »

I'll have to pick it [Summer in the Southeast] up when I feel I can spend the money.  Maybe I can unload a few CDs at the local record shop.  I've purchased too many CDs and books lately.

Or... You can make a trade with your neighbor.

~Paul
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

miles

  • Stinkfist
  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10030
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3476
    • View Profile
    • Last.fm
Re: What'cha Listening Too (New for 2006)
« Reply #127 on: May 03, 2006, 04:55:55 am »

But yeah, Keith's got Project Polaroid and Mr. Nogatco (Nogatco Rd.) this month alone. Plus he's got a Return of Dr. Octagon album coming later in the year. This isn't the same as that bad fan-compiled Dr. Octagon II from 2004 though.

Thing about Keith though, I suspect that he's gotten hungry to make amazing stuff again thanks to MF Doom's growing success. Hopefully this means they'll be doing an album together down the road now that Keith's back in the mood to do good weird shit.

OK, so I picked up Nogatco Rd. tonight.  I still haven't found Project Polaroid.  Nogatco feels pretty much like the Kool Keith stuff I like (Black Elvis, Dr. Octagon), and I'm excited for the Return.  Does Project Polaroid have the same thing going for it?

I saw MF Doom and Kool Keith at Coachella a couple years ago.  I imagine that MF Doom has really been influenced by Kool Keith, though Doom's far more talented.  I'd love to heard a collaboration between the two (aside from the merely decent track on the second Viktor Vaughan album).

Oh yeah, speaking of 2005 in hip-hop, what did you think of the Further Adventures of Lord Quas?  I like it OK, but not nearly as much as the Unseen.  The Unseen stayed in my car stereo for weeks when I first bought it, but I've probably only listened to Further Adventures once or twice all the way through.
Logged
Order is indeed the dream of man, but chaos, which is only another word for dumb, blind, witless chance, is still the law of nature. - Wallace Stegner

KeithHernandez

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1014
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3209
  • I am, again, Keith Hernandez
    • View Profile
Re: What'cha Listening Too (New for 2006)
« Reply #128 on: May 03, 2006, 09:18:43 pm »

Recently I have been listening to a lot of stuff I has amazed with in high-school. 

Lots of Lou Reed/ Velvet Underground, Bob Dylan, Flaming Lips and the Stone Roses.  I don't know how one can listen to anything else at this point.  Also, the Talking Heads and the Clash are getting hell of spins on my record player.  I am also having a reggae revival with the help of Lee "Scratch" Perry and Linton Kwesi Johnson.  I just now got around to listening to the Libertines and think it is alright.

As for new albums, I hate the new Neil Young and love the new Belle and Sebastian.  The new Flaming Lips is trash, but I didn't like Yoshimi either.  The new Super Furry Animals is also pretty bad.  I am looking forward to the new Sonic Youth, and they are coming to a town near me. 

Anyone listen to Minus the Bear or Apples in Stereo?  I am thinking about buying some stuff by them, but wouldn't mind some recommendations.  I really like Neutral Milk Hotel and Olivia Tremor Control, but don't know if that means I would like them.


Also, the band from my hometown- also the Flaming Lips hometown- called the Starlight Mints just released a record.  I have heard it like a year ago, as they own a venue that I frequent alot and kind of know the members.  I don't really remember that much about it, but the may be a band to check out if you like stuff like Spoon.  I was really just posting this to see if they are popular elsewhere?  I mean, they are popular here and have been around for like 5 years, but not crazy popular.  Then again, Oklahoma has a shit music scene.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2006, 09:27:07 pm by KeithHernandez »
Logged
You say one day soon we will all stand as brothers, 'til then I guess we'll just stand around.

Mite

  • Motel 6 Kind of Girl
  • King of the Make-Outs
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 6
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 584
    • View Profile
Re: What'cha Listening Too (New for 2006)
« Reply #129 on: May 03, 2006, 11:28:02 pm »

The new Flaming Lips is trash, but I didn't like Yoshimi either.  The new Super Furry Animals is also pretty bad.

You take that back! What are you, a commie? What, I bet "you like their old stuff," right? Kids.

Quote
Also, the band from my hometown- also the Flaming Lips hometown- called the Starlight Mints just released a record.  I have heard it like a year ago, as they own a venue that I frequent alot and kind of know the members.  I don't really remember that much about it, but the may be a band to check out if you like stuff like Spoon.  I was really just posting this to see if they are popular elsewhere?  I mean, they are popular here and have been around for like 5 years, but not crazy popular.  Then again, Oklahoma has a shit music scene.

I dig the mints quite a bit (incidentally, my man's sitting next to me wearing a t-shirt from one of their shows as we speak). Didn't know they had a new album. And yeah, Spoon rocks, though you'll probably hate them in a couple of years when they get popular, too.

Sorry, I just took a final, and now I have a bug up my ass. I'll feel better in a couple of drinks. Carry on.
Logged
I'm no longer a Bankhead teacher, but I'll still take your cookies.

KeithHernandez

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1014
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3209
  • I am, again, Keith Hernandez
    • View Profile
Re: What'cha Listening Too (New for 2006)
« Reply #130 on: May 03, 2006, 11:56:23 pm »

You take that back! What are you, a commie? What, I bet "you like their old stuff," right? Kids.

I dig the mints quite a bit (incidentally, my man's sitting next to me wearing a t-shirt from one of their shows as we speak). Didn't know they had a new album. And yeah, Spoon rocks, though you'll probably hate them in a couple of years when they get popular, too.


I don't know if you are talking about the Flaming Lips or SFA, but, yes, their old stuff is sooooo much better.  I can maybe, maybe, see how someone could like Yoshimi, but can you really say it is better than The Soft Bulletin?  No, nobody can.  Also, In a Priest Driven Ambulance, Clouds Taste Metallic, and Hit to Death in the Future Head are miles ahead of Yoshimi.  If you are talking about SFA then the same thing applies.  Also, I am not really a kid and live just to the south of OKC.  I have been listening to them since before Yoshimi, and almost everybody I know who has agrees that Yoshimi is not that good.  Sorry, I don't really listen to bands because they are cool, I listen to good albums.

Also, one of my friends sisters went to German Camp with members of Spoon and has this sweet demo they gave her, from like the mid 90's.  I guess what I am trying to say is that Spoon got as popular as they are going to get after they released Kill the Moonlight.  I LOVE that record, but, also, dislike their new record.  As someone earlier mentioned, there have been many, many, disapointing releases by mid major/ indie bands in the last couple of years. 

Wilco
SFA
Beta Band
Flaming Lips
Spoon
Morrissey
Franz Ferdinand
and more that I don't want to type.

All bands that I love that have released pretty poor records in the last couple of years.  It has nothing to do with being cool though.  For instance, I hated Belle & Sebastian - Dear Catastrophe Waitress, but love The Life Pursuit.  It doesn't matter how popular they are, but how good of a record that they make.

And, yes, I would consider myself a Communist.
Logged
You say one day soon we will all stand as brothers, 'til then I guess we'll just stand around.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: What'cha Listening Too (New for 2006)
« Reply #131 on: May 04, 2006, 12:04:53 am »

yeah, I moderately liked Yoshime... and didn't really like The New One at all. WHich is hell of disappointing, because I got sooo excited about going to the store and buying it. I paid for it partially in quarters, because I had scratched together the last of my money.

maybe it will grow on me. At least they're back to fuzzy guitars and such!

"There you Are" is the greatest song. oh goodness, it is so good.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

KeithHernandez

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1014
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3209
  • I am, again, Keith Hernandez
    • View Profile
Re: What'cha Listening Too (New for 2006)
« Reply #132 on: May 04, 2006, 12:14:39 am »


"There you Are" is the greatest song. oh goodness, it is so good.

Yea, that, "Five Stop Mother Superior Rain" and "Hold Your Head" are probably my favorite pre- Soft Bulletin Lips songs.  Soft Bulletin has its own category for greatness.  See, Yoshimi is alright if it is like a first record from some random band, but not the follow up to a band that had not released a bad album since the 80's (I actually like those too, but some don't) and who's last 4 or 5 albums are all amazing.  Then Yoshimi is very disappointing and not really worth playing, as I have so many better albums to choose from.
Logged
You say one day soon we will all stand as brothers, 'til then I guess we'll just stand around.

FlipConstantine

  • Todd
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 20
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 322
  • In my hood homeboys state the obvious.
    • View Profile
    • Mac Fag Confidential
Re: What'cha Listening Too (New for 2006)
« Reply #133 on: May 04, 2006, 12:30:55 am »

Yoshimi, I liked, because it had *****s.  Plus "Do you realize" alone was worth the purchase.  I'll agree with you about their earlier stuff being better, but I really enjoy At War With The Mystics.  It is, in a way, a return to some of their older style.  They do the whole voice-dropped-an-octave now and then which always makes me smile, and the bass line in "It Overtakes Me" is absolutely punishing.
Logged
Everyday I'm hustlin.

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
Re: What'cha Listening Too (New for 2006)
« Reply #134 on: May 04, 2006, 03:33:06 am »

See, I think "Buggin'" is just about the most perfect Flaming Lips song ever.

I don't really like their new album either, and I really liked Yoshimi, but only honestly as background music.  You can work with it on.

The last two Morrissey albums have been awful.  The lyrics, for which Moz has been known, are trite and cringe-inducing.

I really liked Dear Catastrophe Waitress and I'm kinda meh about the Life Pursuit.  I really hated Fold Your Hands... and still think of Sinister and Arab Strap as a single album, since they came out like four months apart.

The second Franz Ferdinand was just like the first, and I kinda liked that Fallen song, but otherwise I haven't really been back to listen to it much.

Wilco, like Steely Dan, I just could never get into.  I don't "get" Wilco.  All of the songs sound the same, and they just drone on.  There is basically no melody to any of their songs, and I must say that I have a predilection against songs that I cannot sing along to (unless they're like, instrumental or something, in which case I do not have that problem).

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 14   Go Up