Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Making money from art is not vulgar. Art is a commodity. It makes people feel something. It raises the greater sum of human happiness. It increases the gaiety of the nation. It has a value. -John Allison

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8   Go Down

Author Topic: TWIST CHOMP -- Apr. 7, 2006.  (Read 21420 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

AlohaDawg

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 79
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4184
  • Crawlin' back to prosperity
    • View Profile
Re: TWIST CHOMP -- Apr. 7, 2006.
« Reply #90 on: April 10, 2006, 11:54:34 pm »

Believe it or not, these expressions are actually in incredibly common usage in old Blighty. No-one calls lifts anything BUT lifts here, JUST THE WAY IT SHOULD BE.

Do people say 'c-nt' in real life as much as they seem to in movies?
Logged

Drygioni

  • formerly Judy
  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 194
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1796
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK
Re: TWIST CHOMP -- Apr. 7, 2006.
« Reply #91 on: April 10, 2006, 11:59:25 pm »

Depends how many fuck*ng whiny rebellious teenagers there are in the room, trying to offend the other fuck*ng whiny rebellious teenagers in the room.
Logged
I am sorry for my behaviour last night.

Hobot

  • DISK ONE OF SIX
  • Teodor
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 21
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 861
  • Appearing in a tortilla near you.
    • View Profile
    • Your music is inadequate.
Re: TWIST CHOMP -- Apr. 7, 2006.
« Reply #92 on: April 11, 2006, 12:05:39 am »

Do people say 'c-nt' in real life as much as they seem to in movies?


Cent?  That's what you mean, right?

I'm glad we cleared that up.
Logged
You had me at "I dig both ladies and fellows."

swinehund

  • Chucklebot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 140
  • you cannot defeat me, I wear the mask of vulcan
    • View Profile
    • blaagh
Re: TWIST CHOMP -- Apr. 7, 2006.
« Reply #93 on: April 11, 2006, 12:17:57 am »


Cent?  That's what you mean, right?

I'm glad we cleared that up.

I thought they used pence.
They're using 'cent' as a swear? Is this an anti-North American and the Continent thing?
Logged

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: TWIST CHOMP -- Apr. 7, 2006.
« Reply #94 on: April 11, 2006, 12:41:58 am »

last I heard, they used "cent" because of a reference to "5 percent"-- something about the revolutionary war being won by the Americans because of a 5% difference in killed-to-killed ratio. It became popular earlier in the century, as they began resenting the way the US was on the rise, and their empire was on the decline.

I believe the original full swear was "well that's just the 5%, isn't it!"

as in:

Hm. Chesterfield seems to be down by just a point, and this is the last penalty kick.
Damn! they missed it! That's just... that's just the 5% for Leeds United, then.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

miles

  • Stinkfist
  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10030
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3476
    • View Profile
    • Last.fm
Re: TWIST CHOMP -- Apr. 7, 2006.
« Reply #95 on: April 11, 2006, 01:06:56 am »


C-nt?  That's what you mean, right?

I'm glad we cleared that up.

Really, Jough?  Can we make sure to filter c-nt from now on?  Think of the children!
Logged
Order is indeed the dream of man, but chaos, which is only another word for dumb, blind, witless chance, is still the law of nature. - Wallace Stegner

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: TWIST CHOMP -- Apr. 7, 2006.
« Reply #96 on: April 11, 2006, 01:11:35 am »

Believe it or not, these expressions are actually in incredibly common usage in old Blighty. No-one calls lifts anything BUT lifts here, JUST THE WAY IT SHOULD BE.

Pfft. If you wanna play the game and pretend you're not just part of the conspiracy, that's fine.

No skin off my "bollocks" if you're having fun with us, clearly, a lot of American idiots have fallen for it and it IS funny.  I'm just sayin' that I'm onto you.

All I ask is that you level with me and admit that watching soccer is about as fun as watching two guys you've never met play Pong for three hours straight. "Oh wow... he... almost scored a point but... didn't again. That could happen, what, three or four times today, huh?"

Not that PLAYING soccer isn't fun... because, hell, playing PONG is a little fun too, sparingly.

But watching it?

Come on, you're having fun with us, pretending you're so into such A Boring Thing.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: TWIST CHOMP -- Apr. 7, 2006.
« Reply #97 on: April 11, 2006, 02:03:34 am »

Not that PLAYING soccer isn't fun... because, hell, playing PONG is a little fun too, sparingly.

But watching it?

Come on, you're having fun with us, pretending you're so into such A Boring Thing.

Because baseball is a thrill a minute. Basically any non-scripted sport tends to be boring as hell with way too much downtime compared to the movie version.

I also didn't know that British people took the time to say "see hyphen en tee." Of course if you believe newspapers Americans say "hyphen" all the fuck*ng time.
Logged

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: TWIST CHOMP -- Apr. 7, 2006.
« Reply #98 on: April 11, 2006, 03:55:32 am »

If you c-nts start talking about fuck*ng wrestling I'm gonna lock this thread in the loo.

~Paul
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

swinehund

  • Chucklebot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 140
  • you cannot defeat me, I wear the mask of vulcan
    • View Profile
    • blaagh
Re: TWIST CHOMP -- Apr. 7, 2006.
« Reply #99 on: April 11, 2006, 03:57:04 am »

last I heard, they used "cent" because of a reference to "5 percent"-- something about the revolutionary war being won by the Americans because of a 5% difference in killed-to-killed ratio. It became popular earlier in the century, as they began resenting the way the US was on the rise, and their empire was on the decline.

I believe the original full swear was "well that's just the 5%, isn't it!"

as in:

Hm. Chesterfield seems to be down by just a point, and this is the last penalty kick.
Damn! they missed it! That's just... that's just the 5% for Leeds United, then.

I've alternately heard it's one of those Cockney rhyming slang things, and is meant as a slight against one's mothers' size, implying that she wears tents as dresses.
Logged

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: TWIST CHOMP -- Apr. 7, 2006.
« Reply #100 on: April 11, 2006, 02:16:24 pm »

If you c-nts start talking about fuck*ng wrestling I'm gonna lock this thread in the loo.

So you know that Jushin "Thunder" Liger was suppsed to be at Lockdown to take on the X Division champion but it turns out he can't make it because of scheduling conflicts. Lame.

Also, The British Bulldog Davey Boy Smith's son just signed w/ WWE.
Logged

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: TWIST CHOMP -- Apr. 7, 2006.
« Reply #101 on: April 11, 2006, 03:15:26 pm »

hmm.
a teacher (english literature) at my school says that it comes from WWII-- a reference to putting pennies over the eyes of the dead. But do they call them c-nts over there?
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: TWIST CHOMP -- Apr. 7, 2006.
« Reply #102 on: April 11, 2006, 06:09:28 pm »

But do they call them c-nts over there?

Yes.

~Paul
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

AlohaDawg

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 79
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4184
  • Crawlin' back to prosperity
    • View Profile
Re: TWIST CHOMP -- Apr. 7, 2006.
« Reply #103 on: April 11, 2006, 06:19:42 pm »

hmm.
a teacher (english literature) at my school says that it comes from WWII-- a reference to putting pennies over the eyes of the dead. But do they call them c-nts over there?

How does that reference work? That's not an American thing and it's a remote european one - that tradition goes back to well before WWII.

Unless you mean the C-nt referring to the bearded clam, in which case I'm really confused about the penny and WWII.
Logged

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: TWIST CHOMP -- Apr. 7, 2006.
« Reply #104 on: April 11, 2006, 06:25:58 pm »

My ex used to say, whenever she went to the toilet "I'm going to spend a penny."  When I pressed her for an explanation she said that in olden times it cost a penny to use a public toilet in England.

~Paul
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8   Go Up