Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Did you know...
that someone should really go fix up the Achewood Wiki, the Achewiki, which could serve as a knowledge base for all things Achewood?

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Russian Writing  (Read 10308 times)

0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.

Hobot

  • DISK ONE OF SIX
  • Teodor
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 21
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 861
  • Appearing in a tortilla near you.
    • View Profile
    • Your music is inadequate.
Re: sweet, Ray
« Reply #30 on: April 07, 2006, 02:42:39 pm »

That's the textbook I used.  My witty classmates were all "Голоса? More like Gol-uh-SUCK!"  I think they were bitter because our prof insisted that Americans could never have patronyms, even if it's easy to add -vich to your dad's name and pretend.

Or "-ovna."  Mine actually works (Davidovna), but I feel sorry for the people in my class whose fathers are named Charles (Charlesovna?  Charlesovich?  That sounds terrible.), and for the guy who is named after his father, so his name and patronymic are Fernando Fernandovich.
Logged
You had me at "I dig both ladies and fellows."

CortJstr

  • Moderator
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: sweet, Ray
« Reply #31 on: April 07, 2006, 04:12:12 pm »

That's the textbook I used.  My witty classmates were all "Голоса?  More like Gol-uh-SUCK!"  I think they were bitter because our prof insisted that Americans could never have patronyms, even if it's easy to add -vich to your dad's name and pretend.

What about Johnson? Or Mc*?
Logged

Hobot

  • DISK ONE OF SIX
  • Teodor
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 21
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 861
  • Appearing in a tortilla near you.
    • View Profile
    • Your music is inadequate.
Re: sweet, Ray
« Reply #32 on: April 07, 2006, 04:33:21 pm »

What about Johnson? Or Mc*?

Patronymics are derived from one's father's first name.  Foreign surnames remain the same unless you are female, in which case an "a" is added to the end of the name.
Logged
You had me at "I dig both ladies and fellows."

Carlos del Vaca

  • The Mayor
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1316
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5007
  • Greetings from Banana Town
    • View Profile
    • bigfool.com
Re: sweet, Ray
« Reply #33 on: April 07, 2006, 05:36:50 pm »

My favorite Russian word is "razgovarivat," which is basically "to chat idly," "to shoot the shit."

Speaking of "Kak," I like that the greeting "Kak zhivyosh?" is literally "How you livin'?"
Logged
My friends call me the Mayor.
My enemies don't call me anything.  'Cuz they're all dead.

Mite

  • Motel 6 Kind of Girl
  • King of the Make-Outs
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 6
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 584
    • View Profile
Re: sweet, Ray
« Reply #34 on: April 07, 2006, 05:56:55 pm »

You russian speaking folks might like Everyone Drunk but Me, a cute little journal comic about a Laura Beth, who is a grad student studying Russian. It used to run at my uni's newspaper, and it's funny, and it's very cute. She spent a year in Russia, and now teaches it somewhere in Oregon.

"The final will be essay. No multiple choice like 'How did Pushkin Die? Eaten by bear.'"

Starting Point on that site is good too, but it's ending. Rockstar Weekend is funny sometimes, but I dislike the art.
Logged
I'm no longer a Bankhead teacher, but I'll still take your cookies.

Carlos del Vaca

  • The Mayor
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1316
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5007
  • Greetings from Banana Town
    • View Profile
    • bigfool.com
Re: sweet, Ray's Place is back.
« Reply #35 on: April 07, 2006, 06:03:18 pm »

One of the more awesome things I ever heard a professor say was in Russian class.  The instructor was harping on us rolling our Rs, and was going around having us say "ррррры" (Cyrillic p = Roman r, for those not in the know).  She got to one girl who said "I can't do it.  I just can't."

The instructor paused, and then said "In Russia, if you cannot make this sound, we send you to special school."
Logged
My friends call me the Mayor.
My enemies don't call me anything.  'Cuz they're all dead.

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Russian Writing
« Reply #36 on: April 07, 2006, 06:20:01 pm »

Moved the Russian Writing from ACHEWOOD
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

FlipConstantine

  • Todd
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 20
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 322
  • In my hood homeboys state the obvious.
    • View Profile
    • Mac Fag Confidential
Re: Russian Writing
« Reply #37 on: April 07, 2006, 09:06:39 pm »

спасибо товариш!

(spelling is indeed wrong, but i can't figger out how to make them keyboards make them other letters real well)
Logged
Everyday I'm hustlin.

Hobot

  • DISK ONE OF SIX
  • Teodor
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 21
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 861
  • Appearing in a tortilla near you.
    • View Profile
    • Your music is inadequate.
Re: Russian Writing
« Reply #38 on: April 08, 2006, 09:37:53 pm »

That's how I write my "t"s, because my professor permits us to do so (and everyone I know of in my class has taken her up on this allowance).  I really should get into the habit of writing them correctly, though.


UPDATE: FlipConstantine, you will be pleased to learn that, thanks to you, I have now begun to write my "t"s the proper way (so that they look like English cursive "m"s).  You have changed my (Russian writing-related) life.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2006, 09:42:22 pm by Hobot »
Logged
You had me at "I dig both ladies and fellows."

FlipConstantine

  • Todd
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 20
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 322
  • In my hood homeboys state the obvious.
    • View Profile
    • Mac Fag Confidential
Re: Russian Writing
« Reply #39 on: April 08, 2006, 10:53:42 pm »


UPDATE: FlipConstantine, you will be pleased to learn that, thanks to you, I have now begun to write my "t"s the proper way (so that they look like English cursive "m"s).  You have changed my (Russian writing-related) life.

It's the very least I could do.


Sorry I destroyed the one thing that made you unique amongst the teeming masses of russian speaking sheep.  Sorry.
Logged
Everyday I'm hustlin.

Hobot

  • DISK ONE OF SIX
  • Teodor
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 21
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 861
  • Appearing in a tortilla near you.
    • View Profile
    • Your music is inadequate.
Re: Russian Writing
« Reply #40 on: April 09, 2006, 02:23:48 am »

It's the very least I could do.


Sorry I destroyed the one thing that made you unique amongst the teeming masses of russian speaking sheep.  Sorry.

Now I'll have nothing to set me apart -- nothing!



Except these 300 POSTS.
Logged
You had me at "I dig both ladies and fellows."

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Russian Writing
« Reply #41 on: April 09, 2006, 08:00:47 pm »

oh man
I really enjoyed Everyone is Drunk But me
Thank you, mite.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Russian Writing
« Reply #42 on: April 09, 2006, 08:26:21 pm »

I kind of liked that cartoon too, but it seemed like I kept randomly clicking on strips where a boyfriend had dumped her, so it was kind of depressing.  Either she had an awful lot of boyfriends dump her or I had rather odd luck of the draw.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

Mite

  • Motel 6 Kind of Girl
  • King of the Make-Outs
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 6
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 584
    • View Profile
Re: Russian Writing
« Reply #43 on: April 09, 2006, 09:10:30 pm »

She's had two pretty bad long-distance breakups, but the rest of them are good, promise!

We all had mad crushes on Laura Beth in college. I met her once at The Plaza - best dive bar in Madison. Everyone was very drunk, including her. Good times.
Logged
I'm no longer a Bankhead teacher, but I'll still take your cookies.

lprkn

  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 244
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1907
  • Hella yellin' about the sex
    • View Profile
Re: Russian Writing
« Reply #44 on: April 11, 2006, 02:03:08 am »

The internet is indeed circular. I just finished 'Everyone Drunk But Me' about two weeks ago. Got the link from this blog. I enjoyed the characterization of her Russian language professor the most of all.
Logged
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up