Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood Italian food is like pornography. I can’t define it, but I know when I have paid too much.

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Philippe - is he 5, or retarded?  (Read 7973 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

sammythemc

  • Scrambles the Dog
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 5
    • View Profile
I'm sure this has been said, but the subject line is the alt text of TOUAMB
« Reply #15 on: April 09, 2006, 06:58:43 pm »

You know, I have always tried to figure this out as well. It's kind of confusing; you wouldn't think Philippe's mother would let him out of her sight if he was retarded, but then you'd also think the same thing would apply for if he was five. I've been reading this comic since late 2003, and have read the archives through once or twice, and while there is specific mention of the fact that he's five, Onstad hasn't come out and said Philippe was retarded outside of the (very very old) site description. Most of the Philippesque things we see Philippe do in the comic can be explained by just the young age with no retardation heaped on, so we can't conclusively say whether he's 5 or 5 and retarded.
Logged

ndpatel

  • Chucklebot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 5
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 132
    • View Profile
    • http://www.sixtyeights.com

he's five. nobody would fuck with a retard the way the dudes fuck with phillippe. it's just not cool. small children, on the other hand, exist solely to entertain.
Logged

littlefox

  • YOUR OLD FRIEND BLISTER
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 13
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 76
    • View Profile
Re: Philippe - is he 5, or retarded?
« Reply #17 on: April 09, 2006, 09:21:28 pm »

He's definitely 5. He's actually very intelligent - brilliant, even - for a five year old (at least, in human years) ... I'm basing that on his blog. A retarded person could not write that blog, so I'm going to assume a retarded otter also couldn't.
There's a lot about Achewood that doesn't make sense, and the question Phillipe's age and mental capacity is one question among many. You just gots to go with the flow.
Logged

misterqueue

  • Sick Fuck
  • VIP
  • R I S O T T O ?
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 25
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 2011
  • I can do anything I want. And so can you.
    • View Profile
    • A Reason for Diseasin'
Re: Philippe - is he 5, or retarded?
« Reply #18 on: April 09, 2006, 09:21:51 pm »

People people, it's very simple.  Philippe used to be retarded, now he is five.


I am sorry to have to crush your hopes and dreams.  HTH HAND
Logged
So it's satire, is it?  Well that changes everything!

Lockjaw is serious times.

swinehund

  • Chucklebot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 140
  • you cannot defeat me, I wear the mask of vulcan
    • View Profile
    • blaagh
Re: Philippe - is he 5, or retarded?
« Reply #19 on: April 09, 2006, 10:49:48 pm »

A retarded person could not write that blog, so I'm going to assume a retarded otter also couldn't.

I actually do know a retarded person who could probably write his blog, but only earnestly. It would also contain a lot more information about various animals.
I think Philippe was probably 5 by the time he started the blog, though.
Logged

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Re: Philippe - is he 5, or retarded?
« Reply #20 on: April 10, 2006, 12:06:22 am »

Now, if we want to apply common sense, wouldn't it be the opposite:  He used to be five, then something horrible happened that damaged him in a way that keeps him retarded in a way that keeps him functioning at a 5 year old's level forever?

I'd like to see that strip.

Also interesting (if we instead work with the flexible reality that he is just perminantly five) would be a strip or series of strips that shows the origin of his mother abandoning him and/or the achewood regulars taking him in. 
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: Philippe - is he 5, or retarded?
« Reply #21 on: April 10, 2006, 12:59:48 am »

I suppose that the end-game to this is someone writing a fan-fiction "Crisis on Infinite Achewoods" where the early iteration Achewood characters face down with later iteration Achewood characters in hopes of preventing some sort of Cosmic Wackadoo from occurring...

With early probably-more-retarded-than-young Phillipe dying in the arms of probably-more-dirty-dude-than-condescending-jerk Pat somehow, no doubt.

We can only pray that whoever writes it does not self-insert his bad self into the story as, like, Wonderwoman if she were a weremoose with giant furry breasts and antlers or somesuch.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

Jamie

  • Scrambles the Dog
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1
    • View Profile
Re: Philippe - is he 5, or retarded?
« Reply #22 on: April 10, 2006, 09:26:50 am »

Perhaps a five year old otter is an adult. Ray is also five.
Logged

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Philippe - is he 5, or retarded?
« Reply #23 on: April 10, 2006, 11:33:52 am »

that is also the one that says that ray is Neutered.

I thought he was definitely not that cat.


also: so, is winnie the pooh a bear? Because, I always thought "pooh" was a childish word for Bear... but... sometimes he calls him "silly old bear". So why does he also call him a pooh?
I goddamn love winnie the pooh.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

Hobot

  • DISK ONE OF SIX
  • Teodor
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 21
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 861
  • Appearing in a tortilla near you.
    • View Profile
    • Your music is inadequate.
Re: Philippe - is he 5, or retarded?
« Reply #24 on: April 10, 2006, 11:59:13 am »

that is also the one that says that ray is Neutered.

I thought he was definitely not that cat.


also: so, is winnie the pooh a bear? Because, I always thought "pooh" was a childish word for Bear... but... sometimes he calls him "silly old bear". So why does he also call him a pooh?
I goddamn love winnie the pooh.

Have you seen the Russian Winnie the Pooh?  Because it's terrifying.
Logged
You had me at "I dig both ladies and fellows."

lprkn

  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 244
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1907
  • Hella yellin' about the sex
    • View Profile
Re: Philippe - is he 5, or retarded?
« Reply #25 on: April 11, 2006, 09:52:52 pm »

Silly old медведь.
Logged

Hobot

  • DISK ONE OF SIX
  • Teodor
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 21
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 861
  • Appearing in a tortilla near you.
    • View Profile
    • Your music is inadequate.
Re: Philippe - is he 5, or retarded?
« Reply #26 on: April 11, 2006, 10:52:07 pm »

Silly old медведь.

Or Мишка, if you want to be nitpicky (like me).
Logged
You had me at "I dig both ladies and fellows."

lprkn

  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 244
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1907
  • Hella yellin' about the sex
    • View Profile
Re: Philippe - is he 5, or retarded?
« Reply #27 on: April 12, 2006, 01:12:20 am »

I'm not sure of the distinction. Is Мишка a diminutive or something?
Logged

Hobot

  • DISK ONE OF SIX
  • Teodor
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 21
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 861
  • Appearing in a tortilla near you.
    • View Profile
    • Your music is inadequate.
Re: Philippe - is he 5, or retarded?
« Reply #28 on: April 12, 2006, 01:15:27 am »

It means "teddy bear."  I'm not sure if the Russian Winnie the Pooh is supposed to be a stuffed animal, but the American (Disney) one is.
Logged
You had me at "I dig both ladies and fellows."

theauthors

  • Dr. Kisses
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 8
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 38
    • View Profile
Re: Philippe - is he 5, or retarded?
« Reply #29 on: April 12, 2006, 03:52:52 am »

It doesn't mean 'teddy bear', it's simply endearing for 'bear'. There is no such word as 'teddy bear', but if you want to specify that it is a toy, you typically preface it with a material it is made of .. ie. a plush bear. Of course you would use the endearing form when refering to a teddy bear, typically, but it doesn't mean teddy bear.

And the Russian Winnie is so much better than the Disney one, he is kinda witty and sweet, don't be knocking him :(

I think the best english word is 'knuckles', because it is so confusing to pronounce.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2006, 04:18:17 am by theauthors »
Logged
"I thought about the Big Bang and thought whether it was really a big bang, or did it just sound louder since there was no other noise to drown it out?"
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up