Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

It sounds to me like you haven't read the Sex Rulebook! The first rule of Sex is that everybody can always get it on. Man, go for it! Awesome! Awesome! -=RAY=-

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7   Go Down

Author Topic: April Blogs Bring May Flowers  (Read 17774 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

smick

  • -=Ray=-
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1351
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1437
  • MasturBot 342: ONLINE
    • View Profile
Re: April Blogs Bring May Flowers
« Reply #15 on: April 10, 2006, 09:25:31 pm »


I've always enjoyed Onstad's blogs over the 'real' characters. Sometimes there's just a limit to the enjoyment I can get out of knowing the lives and backstories of cartoon characters, whereas most here relish the prospect of finding out just that little bit more about Achewood.
 

That's really weird.   When you mentioned that, I realized that I've never thought of Onstad's blog as anything other than a character blog.   He's the cartoon legs that picked up the cartoon cat that one time.

And falls... 8 dollars a week to rent the fantasy that everything is going to be ok, is better than the $6 a day for a pack of smokes.  Cheaper anyway.
Logged

goldenchurchhill

  • Scrambles the Dog
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: -1
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 20
  • "The wine so bad it made the news."
    • View Profile
Re: April Blogs Bring May Flowers
« Reply #16 on: April 10, 2006, 09:39:25 pm »

yea, I really enjoy the lottery as well, nothing like that hope for the first couple days.  God, I wish I could win it though.
Logged
To live outside the law you must be honest.

Lister

  • Teodor
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 101
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 892
  • 2, 4, 6, 8, time to transubstantiate!
    • View Profile
Re: April Blogs Bring May Flowers
« Reply #17 on: April 11, 2006, 11:05:36 am »

I purchased lottery tickets when the Mega Millions was over $300 million, when the return finally favored the odds.  I had plans for this money, oh yes.  I figured out how much I would have after taxes, then I determined what portions would go to investments, etc.  Except for the world of technology, I am not a man driven to excess.  I would have been the most boring lottery winner ever, but I would have had a PHAT computer system.

I would probably have created a foundation of some type and been the sole employee of it.  I don't know exactly, because financial planners will not talk to you about the money you are going to win in the lottery.  Not for free, anyway.

This is important to know.
Logged
Lister.  Not that one, the other one.

Mite

  • Motel 6 Kind of Girl
  • King of the Make-Outs
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 6
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 584
    • View Profile
Re: April Blogs Bring May Flowers
« Reply #18 on: April 11, 2006, 11:38:35 am »

I've never played a powerball-type lottery. I just don't see the point. Every once in awhile I'll do the scratch-offs, but at least those give you something to do for the 20 seconds you're scratching.

Humans just aren't wired to really understand statistics. Sure the odds are 40 trillion to one, but it's hard for our little ape-minds to grok that. As long as people aren't using up the rent money there's no harm.
Logged
I'm no longer a Bankhead teacher, but I'll still take your cookies.

robot_god

  • roast beef (the middle cat)
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 74
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1195
  • Oh my gosh, dude.
    • View Profile
    • ALP Myspace Site
Re: April Blogs Bring May Flowers
« Reply #19 on: April 11, 2006, 12:54:46 pm »

I hate the lottery.  One of the worst ways to gamble.  But I love to play it.  Despite the poor return for the risk, someone does win once in awhile.  And they don't deserve it.  So I play it now and then.  Gambling is probably the Greatest Thing.  American dreaming at its purest.  Stay gold.

Onstad is a bullshit artist, he most likely plays the lottery compulsively, or at least fairly often.  I will refer to Cornelius' blog entry on gambling.
Logged
ACHIEVE

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: April Blogs Bring May Flowers
« Reply #20 on: April 11, 2006, 03:26:13 pm »

no no no
we learned from NPR (when they started the first ever NC Lottery last week) that compulsive (ie: addicted) gamblers rarely play the lottery. They normally favor games that allow them to think a measure of skill is involved.

although, I don't know how legitimate that is.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: April Blogs Bring May Flowers
« Reply #21 on: April 11, 2006, 06:07:42 pm »

no no no
we learned from NPR (when they started the first ever NC Lottery last week) that compulsive (ie: addicted) gamblers rarely play the lottery. They normally favor games that allow them to think a measure of skill is involved.

although, I don't know how legitimate that is.

They've overlooked the fact that there are people so fuck*ng stupid they think winning the lottery involves skill.

~Paul
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

AlohaDawg

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 79
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4184
  • Crawlin' back to prosperity
    • View Profile
Re: April Blogs Bring May Flowers
« Reply #22 on: April 11, 2006, 06:15:11 pm »

I thought the objection was not the gambling aspect as much as the disproportionate amount of spending per household dollar on the lottery by the poor - the people I've heard talking about it consider it more-or-less a tax on the poor.

My argument would be that it's a dollar not spent on what? Since it's unspent you don't know if it would have went into the kids college fund or to cigarettes and bundled copies of Mayfair and Oui at the local beer-smoke-porn-lotto shop.

Logged

robot_god

  • roast beef (the middle cat)
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 74
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1195
  • Oh my gosh, dude.
    • View Profile
    • ALP Myspace Site
Re: April Blogs Bring May Flowers
« Reply #23 on: April 11, 2006, 10:31:41 pm »

no no no
we learned from NPR (when they started the first ever NC Lottery last week) that compulsive (ie: addicted) gamblers rarely play the lottery. They normally favor games that allow them to think a measure of skill is involved.

although, I don't know how legitimate that is.

I have a friend of mine who is a very compulsive, habitual gambler, that plays scratch off tickets constantly ever since I told him losing lottery tickets are tax deductable.

I have another friend who gambles less habitually, but is very addicted to scratch offs.  One of those 'scratch-em in the store' dudes.

There is a dude down the block who comes into the deli in which I work who is a GA-recovering-lost-almost-everything gambler and he keeps himself away from any kind of lottery because he says he could just as easily get addicted to buying tickets as he could calling a bookie.

So, in my experience, it really varies from person to person, but alot more people are addicted to the lottery than you may think.  Lotto addicts seem to try to keep their playing very secretive.

I'm a mildly compulsive gambler, but I only buy tickets every now and then.

Shit.  Now I have to gamble tonight.

Awesome.
Logged
ACHIEVE

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: April Blogs Bring May Flowers
« Reply #24 on: April 11, 2006, 11:12:56 pm »

...losing lottery tickets are tax deductable.

Mmmmm, sort of.  You can deduct gambling losses from your gambling winnings.  You can't deduct gambling losses from any other income.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: April Blogs Bring May Flowers
« Reply #25 on: April 12, 2006, 12:43:24 pm »

It is perfect that Beef doesn't say a word about the fight in his blog entry.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: April Blogs Bring May Flowers
« Reply #26 on: April 12, 2006, 01:01:17 pm »

It is perfect that Beef doesn't say a word about the fight in his blog entry.

What fight? He was with Showbiz, remember?
Logged

Beatrice

  • Todd
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 280
    • View Profile
Re: April Blogs Bring May Flowers
« Reply #27 on: April 12, 2006, 01:55:01 pm »

how the hell does Lyle manage to correctly find and sign into his blog site?  seriously, this dude can hardly read, much less write.

Hobot

  • DISK ONE OF SIX
  • Teodor
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 21
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 861
  • Appearing in a tortilla near you.
    • View Profile
    • Your music is inadequate.
Re: April Blogs Bring May Flowers
« Reply #28 on: April 12, 2006, 02:11:57 pm »

That junkie has the same real-life name as me.
Logged
You had me at "I dig both ladies and fellows."

littlefox

  • YOUR OLD FRIEND BLISTER
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 13
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 76
    • View Profile
Re: April Blogs Bring May Flowers
« Reply #29 on: April 12, 2006, 02:25:15 pm »

how the hell does Lyle manage to correctly find and sign into his blog site?  seriously, this dude can hardly read, much less write.

He might have it bookmarked. Maybe his password is just "lyle." Dude can spell his own name.
B'sides, Phillippe is 5 and he writes a damn fine blog.
Logged
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7   Go Up