Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood I haven't had a haircut since July. I'm hoping to, "wait it out."

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7   Go Down

Author Topic: ... - 11 Apr 06  (Read 18439 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Hobot

  • DISK ONE OF SIX
  • Teodor
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 21
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 861
  • Appearing in a tortilla near you.
    • View Profile
    • Your music is inadequate.
Re: ... - 11 Apr 06
« Reply #75 on: April 12, 2006, 07:13:13 pm »

Am I the only person on the internet who has never played an interactive roleplaying game of any kind, be it twelve-sided-die or multiplayer things with strange words like "spawn" and something-"mining"... and doesn't want to? It feels like it. There have to be others.

No gaming of any kind for me.  I prefer "real" activities like reading, knitting, and container gardening.  "But Hobot," you say, "LARPing is real!" 

No.  No it is not.
Logged
You had me at "I dig both ladies and fellows."

ryanpeq

  • Scrambles the Dog
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 3
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 17
    • View Profile
Re: ... - 11 Apr 06
« Reply #76 on: April 12, 2006, 07:16:31 pm »

I don't think it's a bone, and it's a female.

~Paul

I'm not seeing how you've figured out it's a female.  It looks pretty ambiguous to me.
Logged

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: ... - 11 Apr 06
« Reply #77 on: April 12, 2006, 07:22:13 pm »

I find that the best best best part of the Problem with Internet Roleplaying is...

When one of those snarky sarcastic lame-ironic "I Love The 80s/Everything Sucks/Geekhate" internet "humour" sites like... Somethingawful or Fark or so on and so on... spends long "comedy" articles on the tiniest minutae of the giant roleplaying game du jour and... completely blows their cover as detached satirists and reveal weeping cringing dorks that just want to have their half-elf gather more imaginary gold.

"You suck, you all suck, everything sucks and is stupid and everyone is a geek and takes the internet too seriously except for me and... DAMMIT, WHERE'S THE NEW SWORD THAT DOES NOT EXIST IN ANY WAY THAT WAS SUPPOSED TO BE OUT THIS WEEK? WAAAHH! WAAAH!"

It is one of those deeply gratifying things that warms you on the inside to witness.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

misterqueue

  • Sick Fuck
  • VIP
  • R I S O T T O ?
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 25
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 2011
  • I can do anything I want. And so can you.
    • View Profile
    • A Reason for Diseasin'
Re: ... - 11 Apr 06
« Reply #78 on: April 12, 2006, 07:51:48 pm »

Also, for once Q doesn't need to stab me in the jaw. Hooray!

this time V, you win.  This time.


*slyly fingers the smile-like blade of sleek, sharp jaw-stabbing blade which I call Martha*


This time.
Logged
So it's satire, is it?  Well that changes everything!

Lockjaw is serious times.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: ... - 11 Apr 06
« Reply #79 on: April 12, 2006, 08:06:54 pm »

dang.
I was such a roleplaying person.
so much.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

Ben-San

  • -=Ray=-
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 164
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1259
  • Two-Fisted Detective
    • View Profile
Re: ... - 11 Apr 06
« Reply #80 on: April 12, 2006, 08:09:04 pm »

When one of those snarky sarcastic lame-ironic "I Love The 80s/Everything Sucks/Geekhate" internet "humour" sites like... Somethingawful or Fark or so on and so on... spends long "comedy" articles on the tiniest minutae of the giant roleplaying game du jour and... completely blows their cover as detached satirists and reveal weeping cringing dorks that just want to have their half-elf gather more imaginary gold.

If you think those sites think they have a cover to blow you are greatly misinterpreting. The kind of situation you are kind of waving at (I am not sure because you are pretty nonspecific) indicates an acknowledgement that "Yeah, we're pretty much no-life dorks ourselves".

I guess I should go weep and cringe now and have my half-elf gather more imaginary gold, because I play RPGs and video games and also read comic books. I guess that makes me a "super-dork" (see, it is a hilarious joke because it incorporates the extra dorky activity in a way that does not actually indicate any knowledge thereof).
Logged

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: ... - 11 Apr 06
« Reply #81 on: April 12, 2006, 08:22:28 pm »

Be passionate about your nerdliness, Ben, that's all I ask. Be unashamed.

If... levelling up your... orcling... so he can shoot... Magic Missle? If that's what rocks your socks, man, rock proudly.

Be the ruling body!

I, myself, am... a cult-film dork, a radio dork, a progressive rock dork, a baseball statistics dork... and those are just the dorkinesses I can come up with off the top of my head. I am posting on the unofficial message board of an internet comic, y'know, so I just assumed that my support of being an Enthusiast About Things was implicit.

My beef is not with your desire to play a certain type of game. Do I understand it? Absolutely not, but dude, rock proudly. Perhaps you took my Dragon Warrior 4 comment as a Deep Statement of Opinion and not a Glib Use of An Obscure Cultural Reference for Fun. Mea culpa, if that's the case.

My beef is with the dutchbags (my new favorite internet malpropism insult, by the by) who are fighting the Battle of Who Can Care Less and expect all to fight that battle as well... except when its their own enthusiasm, then it is totally Good and Right to be unironically enthusiastic. It's a really dutchy way to act that could only be carried forward by major dutchbags.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

V-Adore

  • Guest
Re: ... - 11 Apr 06
« Reply #82 on: April 12, 2006, 08:52:01 pm »

In my experience, it's usually the people who claim to only be interested in Nerd Things ironically who are actually the biggest douches -- and, quite frequently, totally closet cases about this hobby. While there are certainly exceptions (God only knows that there are enough honest-to-Orcus authentic Losers in this hobby, but there are losers everywhere), most of the gamers I've known who have been forthright and honest about their hobbyists are also indistinguishable in this regard from any other hobbyists. They play for fun or for social connection, and it's certainly no more obsessive than having a weekly poker night would be. (I enjoy roleplaying, but I also enjoy just hanging out with the people I game with; it's a good excuse, when everyone's running around on insane schedules, to have three hours a week designated "hang out and have fun" time.)
Logged

AlohaDawg

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 79
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4184
  • Crawlin' back to prosperity
    • View Profile
Re: ... - 11 Apr 06
« Reply #83 on: April 12, 2006, 08:56:06 pm »


... and... completely blows their cover as detached satirists and reveal weeping cringing dorks that just want to have their half-elf gather more imaginary gold.

"You suck, you all suck, everything sucks and is stupid and everyone is a geek and takes the internet too seriously except for me and... DAMMIT, WHERE'S THE NEW SWORD THAT DOES NOT EXIST IN ANY WAY THAT WAS SUPPOSED TO BE OUT THIS WEEK? WAAAHH! WAAAH!"

It is one of those deeply gratifying things that warms you on the inside to witness.

Replace the struck through portion with "MY TINY CANS OF DR PEPPER" and you've got a winner there.
Logged

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: ... - 11 Apr 06
« Reply #84 on: April 12, 2006, 09:08:08 pm »

... and... completely blows their cover as detached satirists and reveal weeping cringing dorks that just want to have their half-elf gather more imaginary gold.

"You suck, you all suck, everything sucks and is stupid and everyone is a geek and takes the internet too seriously except for me and... DAMMIT, WHERE'S THE NEW SWORD THAT DOES NOT EXIST IN ANY WAY THAT WAS SUPPOSED TO BE OUT THIS WEEK? WAAAHH! WAAAH!"

It is one of those deeply gratifying things that warms you on the inside to witness.

Replace the struck through portion with "MY TINY CANS OF DR PEPPER" and you've got a winner there.

That post deserves a tcodp.

~Paul






Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

mrdna1

  • Chucklebot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 8
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 163
    • View Profile
    • five-six
Re: ... - 11 Apr 06
« Reply #85 on: April 12, 2006, 11:28:16 pm »

That post deserves a tcodp.

~Paul
... sorry, but what exactly do those signify? I've looked around here a bit and haven't found very much information at all, aside from that they're desirable somehow.
Logged

Drygioni

  • formerly Judy
  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 194
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1796
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK
Re: ... - 11 Apr 06
« Reply #86 on: April 12, 2006, 11:40:13 pm »

... sorry, but what exactly do those signify? I've looked around here a bit and haven't found very much information at all, aside from that they're desirable somehow.

We need a sticky explaining these.

Depending on who you ask, they're either a worthy representation of the value of a board members contributions (high = good), while some view it as an arbitrary, pointless system that trivalises the personality of the board by making cans more important than the person owning them. Essentially, people take cans for crap posts and give cans for good ones.

When you get to 25 posts, you can give or take cans. But be nice, because our beloved Jough tracks you down if you act like a dick.
Logged
I am sorry for my behaviour last night.

mrdna1

  • Chucklebot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 8
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 163
    • View Profile
    • five-six
Re: ... - 11 Apr 06
« Reply #87 on: April 12, 2006, 11:44:03 pm »

We need a sticky explaining these.

Depending on who you ask, they're either a worthy representation of the value of a board member's contributions (high = good), while some view it as an arbitrary, pointless system that trivalises the personality of the board by making cans more important than the person owning them. Essentially, people take cans for crap posts and give cans for good ones.

When you get to 25 posts, you can give or take cans. But be nice, because our beloved Jough tracks you down if you act like a dick.
Ohh, rad ... my cans have gone from 1 to 5 to 2 to 4, so I didn't know if it was something related to how many posts/threads I could make or what. Guess I'm just a really polarizing poster. :v
Logged

robot_god

  • roast beef (the middle cat)
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 74
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1195
  • Oh my gosh, dude.
    • View Profile
    • ALP Myspace Site
Re: ... - 11 Apr 06
« Reply #88 on: April 12, 2006, 11:44:37 pm »

Oh c'mon, it's always been esoteric gaming stuff. Actually, I'd say it's gotten less gamer focused as the years go by. They just had a mini arc featuring Kenny Rogers fer chrissakes. I haven't played any games other than Mysts, SimCities, and Civs my whole life, and I still read and enjoy the comic. Every once in awhile I need to read a paragraph of Tycho's news post to figure out what's going on, but that's about it. For instance, I know nothing about Warhammer online, and I've never played WoW, but I still got a kick out of this one.

Hmm - don't know why I got so worked up about that. They just seem like super nice guys who write a funny comic and never go all drama queen on their fans. (Note, I'm not saying Onstad, or anyone else, is queening out. I'm just saying that these guys don't.)

Ehhhh, I dunno.  You make a good point, but when I used to read it [almost] everyday, it seemed like there was always classic interaction between the characters.  Since then, the relationship between the characters has never developed at all, and strips that are just "EA sux because of this thing you've never heard of" seem to show up more and more often.

I must've just got bored of it and they've never really tried to evolve.
Logged
ACHIEVE

Doc

  • Growing Cucumbers of Impressive Dimensions
  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1408
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5017
  • an emergency backup pug
    • View Profile
Re: ... - 11 Apr 06
« Reply #89 on: April 13, 2006, 01:03:18 am »

Logged
Inev: 'A lot of things are ridiculous if you think about them long enough, you know?'
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7   Go Up