Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Man Pat you don't gotta talk to me like they teach you in that class for people with too much anger.

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: Pink Floyd's The Wall  (Read 11358 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Pink Floyd's The Wall
« Reply #30 on: May 04, 2006, 07:49:12 pm »

wow, yeah. I love this guitar so much. I actually posted here asking advice on whether to buy it. Everyone said not to, but... whatever. i love it.

and yes, it is really wierd that you saw it before.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

pmcd9

  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Pink Floyd's The Wall
« Reply #31 on: May 04, 2006, 08:40:44 pm »

The Small Faces?  I read so much stuff about them and loved Here Comes the Nice, then downloaded on of their albums and the only decent song was Ichycoo Park.

The Faces and the Small Faces are not the same band.  The Faces was born from the ashes of the Small Faces, with the drummer and bassist carrying over to the new band.  The Who and The Guess Who are different bands as well, btw.

Oh well, the Kinks are tits.

Is this a good thing or a bad thing?

~Paul
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

KeithHernandez

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1014
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3209
  • I am, again, Keith Hernandez
    • View Profile
Re: Pink Floyd's The Wall
« Reply #32 on: May 05, 2006, 02:29:46 am »

The Faces and the Small Faces are not the same band.  The Faces was born from the ashes of the Small Faces, with the drummer and bassist carrying over to the new band.  The Who and The Guess Who are different bands as well, btw.

Is this a good thing or a bad thing?

~Paul

Good.

Did you notice how I asked?  I guess I could have looked it up.  They did seem to have a pretty tight rhythm section, maybe I will look in to them.

Thanks for the Who info, btw.  Did you know that Kravitz "American Woman" song was a Guess Who cover? (sarcasm)

Logged
You say one day soon we will all stand as brothers, 'til then I guess we'll just stand around.

Bimmicus

  • Chucklebot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 32
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 186
  • Rotten Bastard
    • View Profile
    • SPLUNGE
Re: Pink Floyd's The Wall
« Reply #33 on: May 07, 2006, 12:10:02 am »

Quote
Has it stood up to the test of time?

Yes. Pretty much the last rock opera/concept album that was worth half an arse, which puts it in very rare company indeed.

Quote
are Pink Floyd just a bunch of stoned and pretentious assholes?

Yes. They were also shtonkin' great musicians in their time. Their reputation for wankery is not undeserved, but such splendid wankery it was.

Quote
do you do drugs and watch it?

I saw the movie when it was first released. I got so wasted I passed out before we even got into the theater and I still hated every minute of it. Some movies are better left in the mind.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2006, 12:13:12 am by Bimmicus »
Logged
you can't spank the monkey if he's on your back

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: Pink Floyd's The Wall
« Reply #34 on: May 07, 2006, 12:17:20 am »

I am pretty much the only person who thinks that "The Final Cut" is the best Pink Floyd album ever but, as I think I've mentioned, I'm a really big fan of albums that are about ground-level meditations on the end of the world.

The Wall, well, I'd say there are parts of it that are very good and parts that are just meh.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

Bimmicus

  • Chucklebot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 32
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 186
  • Rotten Bastard
    • View Profile
    • SPLUNGE
Re: Pink Floyd's The Wall
« Reply #35 on: May 07, 2006, 12:28:34 am »

I can never decide if The Final Cut is a brilliant album or just a load of LiveJournal-grade puling and moaning courtesy of Mr. Waters. That, and it's not really a Pink Floyd album in anything other than name. Plus, it's so SLOW. That said, there are those rare times when it scratches an itch for me that no other album can (and it does really demand a front-to-back listen for best effect). I guess I should get me another copy one of these days.

The Wall is chock-full of tracks which one might consider somewhat... minor, I suppose, but that is part and parcel of the whole conceit of a concept album. I'm glad no one bothers with that crap anymore.

That said, I've always been an Animals man myself. That shit be fresh.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2006, 12:37:32 am by Bimmicus »
Logged
you can't spank the monkey if he's on your back
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up