Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood There are only five Wodehouse books on my special Wodehouse shelf?! As Jeeves himself might ask, "Where in the fuck are the rest of them."

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8   Go Down

Author Topic: Holy Shit! I'm going to Indonesia!  (Read 17156 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Re: Holy Shit! I'm going to Indonesia!
« Reply #30 on: April 24, 2006, 02:38:01 pm »

No little The Inevitable we won't fight because we are both right and we both know it.  In Melanie's case she has a strong memory and the eloquence to bring her memories to life via the printed word.  I on the other hand have a suspect memory and I don't share Melanie's gift of writing.  So I use photos to tell my stories and preserve my memories.  One must play to their strengths.

~Paul

Yes, and also, Paul has uber skills with a camera, and most photos I take are total crap. 
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Re: Holy Shit! I'm going to Indonesia!
« Reply #31 on: July 21, 2006, 10:29:52 pm »

Update:  The final funding body contacted me this morning, and I am now officially going to Indonesia for free!  Even better, how the funding works is that the three art funders (Winnipeg Arts Council, Manitoba Arts Council and Canada Council) mail me checks for a total of $5500 for travel and expenses, then I make the arrangements, and through the Better Business Bureau I found a travel agency that is offering me a lower rate than the cost listed on Expedia and Air Canada's webpages, and a free ipod.  How cool is that? 

Also the trip in both directions requires a forced stop over in Singapour, which the airline covers the hotel cost of.  Lay-overs aren't all that much fun, but if I can order a Singapour Sling at a hotel bar in Singapour, my life will be that much the richer.

Basically the government, through three arms length agencies, is buying me an ipod.  That is what I am trying to tell you here.  Also, Airmiles up the wazzoo.
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

Doc

  • Growing Cucumbers of Impressive Dimensions
  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1408
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5017
  • an emergency backup pug
    • View Profile
Re: Holy Shit! I'm going to Indonesia!
« Reply #32 on: July 21, 2006, 11:42:50 pm »

Hell of awesome news SS.
Just for my amusement please remind everyone you tell the story to that 'your tax dollars bought this ipod'.
Seriously, its great to see this is coming together for you.
Logged
Inev: 'A lot of things are ridiculous if you think about them long enough, you know?'

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
Re: Holy Shit! I'm going to Indonesia!
« Reply #33 on: July 21, 2006, 11:54:12 pm »

Holy shit!

Awesome, Smells.  Congratulations.  You surely deserve it.

misterqueue

  • Sick Fuck
  • VIP
  • R I S O T T O ?
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 25
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 2011
  • I can do anything I want. And so can you.
    • View Profile
    • A Reason for Diseasin'
Re: Holy Shit! I'm going to Indonesia!
« Reply #34 on: July 22, 2006, 12:49:38 am »

Wow.. this makes me want to capture you and assume your identity for a time.  I suspect this would be rather difficult.  I could, however, probably pull an SWF on your SO and convince you to take me along for the ride.  Decisions...

Though in all seriousness, congrabulations!  It sounds awesome.
Logged
So it's satire, is it?  Well that changes everything!

Lockjaw is serious times.

AlohaDawg

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 79
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4184
  • Crawlin' back to prosperity
    • View Profile
Re: Holy Shit! I'm going to Indonesia!
« Reply #35 on: July 22, 2006, 12:55:47 am »

Ya know, when the Islamic world is really really shaking itself up Indonesia isn't the best place to be - but since you aren't American, you should do OK.

My pastor's son was there when gangs were going into the hotels and and yanking out and beating Americans. The hotel manager had actually registered all the Americans as Australian or Canadian so no one got hurt.
Logged

Doc

  • Growing Cucumbers of Impressive Dimensions
  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1408
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5017
  • an emergency backup pug
    • View Profile
Re: Holy Shit! I'm going to Indonesia!
« Reply #36 on: July 22, 2006, 11:56:12 am »

I wouldn't be entirely sure about the Australian thing anymore, the whole East Timor thing means there are people in Indonesia who aren't our biggest fans right now.
Logged
Inev: 'A lot of things are ridiculous if you think about them long enough, you know?'

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Re: Holy Shit! I'm going to Indonesia!
« Reply #37 on: July 22, 2006, 04:19:02 pm »

Ya know, when the Islamic world is really really shaking itself up Indonesia isn't the best place to be - but since you aren't American, you should do OK.

My pastor's son was there when gangs were going into the hotels and and yanking out and beating Americans. The hotel manager had actually registered all the Americans as Australian or Canadian so no one got hurt.

You are sweet to worry, but really, wouldn't "Side_show gets abducted by militants" make for a thread of great message board reading fodder? 

Thankfully, being Canadian, and having Canadian flags on my luggage, is like having a simple happy face sticker with me.  People smile and nod.

I am leading panel discussion with 3000 delegates from around the world on the topic of "Diversity and Art on the Global Plain" on the first day of the conference - the organizers decided this only knowing that I am Canadian, and nothing else.  So basically, I will play a nice stereotypical Canadian role and let people say their piece while remaining moderate...  It should be very interesting.
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

Doc

  • Growing Cucumbers of Impressive Dimensions
  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1408
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5017
  • an emergency backup pug
    • View Profile
Re: Holy Shit! I'm going to Indonesia!
« Reply #38 on: July 23, 2006, 04:49:26 am »

Sounds good eh?
Logged
Inev: 'A lot of things are ridiculous if you think about them long enough, you know?'

Lister

  • Teodor
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 101
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 892
  • 2, 4, 6, 8, time to transubstantiate!
    • View Profile
Re: Holy Shit! I'm going to Indonesia!
« Reply #39 on: July 23, 2006, 08:10:43 am »

I desperately hope that this great deal you found is through a reputable company.  I would check with the airlines directly as soon as you have enough information to do so, and check out the hotel as much as you are able.  I worry because I care.  Now eat, honey, you've hardly touched your pie.

(Also: this is great news and I am happy for you.)
Logged
Lister.  Not that one, the other one.

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Re: Holy Shit! I'm going to Indonesia!
« Reply #40 on: July 23, 2006, 09:50:33 am »

AD worries I will get screwed over while away, Lister worries that I will get screwed over before I even leave.  Anyone else got worries?  Maybe there's a way to get screwed over in the air... oh... wait.. okay... I don't want to think about that one...

Anyway.

Lister, I checked with the Better Business Bureau before I even called them, and not only is this travel agency a registered member of the Better Business Bureau (voluntary membership - lots of agencies, legitimate or not, do not join the BBB), but in the past two years (the BBB only maintains records backward two years for all companies) they have not received a single complaint, and the BBB puts them the highest category for customer satisfaction.

I've been reading up quite a bit today, and the hotel I'm staying at in Jakarta is a five star Hyatt with marble tubs, and the place in Bali is a resort with a private beach and complimentary fruit basket upon arrival.  I've never been given a fruit basket.  Will there be Mangos?  Is the tap water a safe choice to wash the fruit with before I eat it?  Between the fresh fruit and spicy food, how will I really know if I have a stomach parasite or not?

Also, the conference is arranging private drivers to pick us each up at the air port.  I get to have one of those movie moments where a driver is holding a sign with my name on it up, all waiting for me.  Exciting!
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

KeithHernandez

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1014
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3209
  • I am, again, Keith Hernandez
    • View Profile
Re: Holy Shit! I'm going to Indonesia!
« Reply #41 on: July 23, 2006, 09:54:10 am »

You are up very late.

Are you getting enough sleep?

Don't want to be tired when you are fighting terrorists and possible sketchy companies.
Logged
You say one day soon we will all stand as brothers, 'til then I guess we'll just stand around.

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: Holy Shit! I'm going to Indonesia!
« Reply #42 on: July 23, 2006, 02:55:19 pm »

Also, the conference is arranging private drivers to pick us each up at the air port.  I get to have one of those movie moments where a driver is holding a sign with my name on it up, all waiting for me.  Exciting!

This almst happened to me when I went to London. Me and two other guys went to visit a friend and they'd arranged for a driver to pick us up. Sadly he had the name of the person we were visiting on his sign, not my name.
Logged

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Holy Shit! I'm going to Indonesia!
« Reply #43 on: July 23, 2006, 03:57:58 pm »

You don't eat the peel of a mango, so no worries about what water to wash it in.  Everything is under control.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

Mite

  • Motel 6 Kind of Girl
  • King of the Make-Outs
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 6
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 584
    • View Profile
Re: Holy Shit! I'm going to Indonesia!
« Reply #44 on: July 23, 2006, 04:18:57 pm »

Even if you're planning on peeling a fruit, still wash it with soap and water. There's a lot of potential for cross-contamination otherwise. Peel -> hands -> unpeeled fruit = Suharto two-step.

I'll try to not worry about you. Just promise you'll wash your fruit!
Logged
I'm no longer a Bankhead teacher, but I'll still take your cookies.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8   Go Up