Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Did you know...
that the best way to sound like a noob here is to ask what the Tiny Cans of Dr. Pepper are about?

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 8   Go Down

Author Topic: Holy Shit! I'm going to Indonesia!  (Read 17121 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Doc

  • Growing Cucumbers of Impressive Dimensions
  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1408
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5017
  • an emergency backup pug
    • View Profile
Re: Holy Shit! I'm going to Indonesia!
« Reply #45 on: July 23, 2006, 10:52:52 pm »

I'll try to not worry about you. Just promise you'll wash your fruit!

We just worry so.
Logged
Inev: 'A lot of things are ridiculous if you think about them long enough, you know?'

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: Holy Shit! I'm going to Indonesia!
« Reply #46 on: July 23, 2006, 11:27:49 pm »

Maybe there's a way to get screwed over in the air...

Ray might be able to help with this.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Holy Shit! I'm going to Indonesia!
« Reply #47 on: July 24, 2006, 05:34:58 am »

Congrat's Mel.  I'm sure you will have a wonderful time.  But listen here missy, the old I don't feel comfortable having my picture taken bit isn't gonna play this time.  We want to see pictures of you having a first rate party in In do neez ya.

~Paul
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Re: Holy Shit! I'm going to Indonesia!
« Reply #48 on: July 24, 2006, 03:31:23 pm »

Okay... my SO's mother has already insisted that I take their digital camera with me when I go, so I suppose I will take photos.  But there is basically no quarantee that I will be in these photos myself.  Like I said in another thread, I have dimple issues. 

With this trip and at least two other related to writing type trips, I'm thinking a lap top is basically a necessity.  Which is why I've held off on getting a new desk top.  Lap tops scare me though.  So valuable.  So steal-able.
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
Re: Holy Shit! I'm going to Indonesia!
« Reply #49 on: July 24, 2006, 03:38:48 pm »

I'd recommend you NOT use a laptop in public places when travelling, like at cafes and such (no matter how great the temptation to show it off).  Also a plus is a laptop bag that doesn't look like a laptop bag.  You can find some that just look like regular over the shoulder knapsacks. 

Otherwise, if you just need something to type on, you can probably get something that's sub-$1000 that would hurt but not really hurt if it was stolen in a foreign land.

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Re: Holy Shit! I'm going to Indonesia!
« Reply #50 on: July 24, 2006, 04:30:18 pm »

Yeah.  I'm not a public show off.  I used to have a cellphone, but basically feel that it is rude to use one in most public places, and eventually just stopped using it all together. I do have a buddy who's into making his own flims, with a primo lap top, and he sets him self up right in the middle of the action where-ever he is, just so people will notice that he is editing his film, while, you know, sitting in the middle of a coffee shop.  To me this is a super-tacky display of egotism, but he's totally unaware.  I would probably be deeply embarrassed to take mine out in public, but using it in my hotel rooms is another story.  What I'm saying is: my attitude toward technology is similar to that of a demure man's attitude toward his c*ck - yeah, my unit is fantastic, but it's a private pleasure, for only me and a select few to know.  Both my hotels specifically note that each room has a safe large enough to contain a lap top and other personal effects, so I basically know the score in regard to where I will need to keep things I don't want stolen.

As for what I buy, I basically have to decide whether I want to spend all my duckets on a really fancy lap-top that will be my primary computer, or if I'm going cheap and planning to get a better desk top later.  Then I'm basically going to go shopping and bring along a tech-savvy friend to translate into Melanie-speak for me.  You know, a buffer buddy.  Because I basically have no idea.  And the sales guy will be all - "this has one million more foozel-fozzels than that one you were just looking at," and I'll act all impressed, while, little do I know, foozel-fozzels are the number of little texturized bumps on the outside of the case, and that mega-wazzels are what I should care about... 

Jough, I know you tried to be so helpful in the computer thread, but there was a point where it all turned into Greek for me.  Basically because everyone who actually does know something had differing opinions, and I hadn't even grasped the basics yet.  I'll have to go back and re-read that info again, and perhaps ask some more primary questions to make clear that I know almost nothing at all about even the most basic jargon.  

Also, there is an orangutan rehabilitation center near one of the places I'll be staying at.  If I can get away from the conference, I am all about having an orangutan moment.
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: Holy Shit! I'm going to Indonesia!
« Reply #51 on: July 24, 2006, 04:48:58 pm »

Also, there is an orangutan rehabilitation center near one of the places I'll be staying at.  If I can get away from the conference, I am all about having an orangutan moment.

If you actually get to do this, please promise me that the first orangutan you encounter you will greet with "Right turn, Clyde".

Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Re: Holy Shit! I'm going to Indonesia!
« Reply #52 on: September 30, 2006, 04:37:42 am »

I booked my ticket last week:

28 hr of Flying Time total  (11hr15m stop over time total) to get there via Minneapolis, LA, Kuala Lumpur to Jakarta.

25 hr 18 m of Flying Time (21 h 45 m stop over time total) to get home via Denpasar, Kuala Lumpur, LA, Minneapolis.

Shit!  I seem to remember some comedian some where saying how he doesn't even want to do something he likes doing for 24hrs straight.

It's only a short 45 m bemo ride from my hotel in Bali to the enchanted Monkey Forest/Temple of the Dead/Elephant Safari in Ubud.

Anyway, the most terrifying thing to date (apart from the Canadian travel warning issued last week against any travel to Indonesia that I've chose to ignore) is my up coming trip to the travel doctore for a couple hundred dollars worth of immunization shots.  Everyone's warning me that I'm going to get really sick. 

Meh - I don't care, it'll be worth it.  It'll all be worth it.
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

Carlos del Vaca

  • The Mayor
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1316
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5007
  • Greetings from Banana Town
    • View Profile
    • bigfool.com
Re: Holy Shit! I'm going to Indonesia!
« Reply #53 on: October 04, 2006, 01:11:41 pm »

You're in the releveant frequent flyer program, right?  You'll probably earn premier status on that trip right there.
Logged
My friends call me the Mayor.
My enemies don't call me anything.  'Cuz they're all dead.

Limmo

  • roast beef (the middle cat)
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 40
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1166
    • View Profile
Re: Holy Shit! I'm going to Indonesia!
« Reply #54 on: October 04, 2006, 03:35:33 pm »

28 hr of Flying Time total  (11hr15m stop over time total) to get there via Minneapolis, LA, Kuala Lumpur to Jakarta.

How much of that stopover time is in L.A.?
« Last Edit: October 04, 2006, 04:30:35 pm by Limmo »
Logged

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Re: Holy Shit! I'm going to Indonesia!
« Reply #55 on: October 06, 2006, 03:34:08 am »

Stop overs in LA are minimal - huge stop overs in Kuala Lumpur both ways.
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

linnea

  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 168
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 3332
    • View Profile
Re: Holy Shit! I'm going to Indonesia!
« Reply #56 on: October 06, 2006, 07:12:40 am »

Stop overs in LA are minimal - huge stop overs in Kuala Lumpur both ways.

Layovers can be brutal. I hate having layovers in Anchorage during the summer because hotel rooms are fuckin' $250 for the Holiday Inn Express. That means...sleepin' in the airport! Wooo!
Logged

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Re: Holy Shit! I'm going to Indonesia!
« Reply #57 on: October 06, 2006, 02:56:13 pm »

Yeah, aparently the Kuala Lumpur airport is nowhere near any sort of civilized hub - its nearly 2 hrs from the city.  The travel agent tells me that even with my 12 hour layover on the way home, that I would basically get to a hotel in time to turn around and come back.  There is no hotel at the airport, but there are rest areas you can pay to catch a nap at.  Depending on the time difference, I figure I'll just use the time to decompress and get back on my usual time schedule either by sleeping or drinking coffee. 
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

V-Adore

  • Guest
Re: Holy Shit! I'm going to Indonesia!
« Reply #58 on: October 06, 2006, 03:12:04 pm »

Layovers can be brutal. I hate having layovers in Anchorage during the summer because hotel rooms are fuckin' $250 for the Holiday Inn Express. That means...sleepin' in the airport! Wooo!

The moral of this story is one I learned at a tender age: Holiday Inns in Anchorage can bring only tears.
Logged

linnea

  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 168
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 3332
    • View Profile
Re: Holy Shit! I'm going to Indonesia!
« Reply #59 on: October 07, 2006, 06:58:18 am »

The moral of this story is one I learned at a tender age: Holiday Inns in Anchorage can bring only tears.

Oooh! That sounds like a good story waiting to be told. Tell us, V!
Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 8   Go Up