Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

"Artists need to make money to eat and to continue to make art. Artists used to rely on middlemen to collect their money on their behalf, thereby rendering themselves innocent of cash-handling in the public eye. Artists will now be coming straight to you (yes YOU, you who want their music, their films, their books) for their paychecks. Please welcome them. Please help them. Please do not make them feel badly about asking you directly for money.” -Amanda Palmer

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]   Go Down

Author Topic: Why the French Hate The U.S.  (Read 15334 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Why the French Hate The U.S.
« Reply #60 on: May 09, 2006, 11:36:57 pm »

Hobot, I am disappointed in you.

in Latin, the AE diphthong is pronounced "eye."
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

Hobot

  • DISK ONE OF SIX
  • Teodor
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 21
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 861
  • Appearing in a tortilla near you.
    • View Profile
    • Your music is inadequate.
Re: Why the French Hate The U.S.
« Reply #61 on: May 10, 2006, 12:35:43 am »

Well FUCK.

I guess this is what happens when you take Latin for only one year in Middle School, and your teacher pronounces things differently every day.  How many ways can you pronounce "Iulia"?  The answer may surprise you!
Logged
You had me at "I dig both ladies and fellows."

FlipConstantine

  • Todd
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 20
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 322
  • In my hood homeboys state the obvious.
    • View Profile
    • Mac Fag Confidential
Re: Why the French Hate The U.S.
« Reply #62 on: May 10, 2006, 12:44:25 am »

Well FUCK.

I guess this is what happens when you take Latin for only one year in Middle School, and your teacher pronounces things differently every day.  How many ways can you pronounce "Iulia"?  The answer may surprise you!

Bad Latin Experiences eh?  I can top that.  For two months in 8th grade my teacher was out cause she got sick by The Diabetus or something, I don't remember.  Possibly "Woman Issues".  But that's irrelevant.  For those 2 months we had the single Best/Worst substitute in history (Best in retrospect, at the time, eh, not so much).  His name was "Mr. Gomez" and he was apparently a professional soccer coach who moonlighted as a substitute teacher.  He had buttons (buttons!) stuck to his shoes.  He had the most ridiculous accent I ever heard.  It sounded like Carlos Mencia had (further) brain trauma and then smoked 6 packs a day.  During his tenure, he taught us such valuable lessons as "My dog Rojo says not to give you homework tonight, but I do not trust him with this decision", and "Latin is a dead language, like Caveman."  Yeah, that was a good one.

This has been my contribution to The Most Offtopic Message Board in History.  What was this thread about again?
Logged
Everyday I'm hustlin.

misterqueue

  • Sick Fuck
  • VIP
  • R I S O T T O ?
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 25
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 2011
  • I can do anything I want. And so can you.
    • View Profile
    • A Reason for Diseasin'
Re: Why the French Hate The U.S.
« Reply #63 on: May 10, 2006, 12:51:36 am »



This has been my contribution to The Most Offtopic Message Board in History.  What was this thread about again?

Truly that is an excellent story.


I will never understand why off-topicness is a federal offense sometimes.  I think my downfall here is going to be that I'm always generally way more interested in the off-topic than the on-topic. 

Wait.. now I'm going off topic about off topicality!  Recursion!  Fuck!
« Last Edit: May 10, 2006, 12:56:42 am by misterqueue »
Logged
So it's satire, is it?  Well that changes everything!

Lockjaw is serious times.

V-Adore

  • Guest
Re: Why the French Hate The U.S.
« Reply #64 on: May 10, 2006, 01:54:16 am »

"Latin is a dead language, like Caveman."

Best. Quote. Ever.

So I decree!
Logged

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Why the French Hate The U.S.
« Reply #65 on: May 10, 2006, 02:08:24 am »


I will never understand why off-topicness is a federal offense sometimes. 

Just 'cause we like to keep you guessing.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Why the French Hate The U.S.
« Reply #66 on: May 10, 2006, 02:45:02 am »

oh god, Wombat, until you said that, I had forgotten this:

I am now fervently of the belief that the "Admins Only Board" is the site of plotting and psychoanalyzing.

"TI is seeming insecure lately, give him a couple cans. But, oh, that Q, he thinks he isn't a n00b anymore! Lock a few topics and say it's his fault. OH man, how about we make a fake-fake-TOUAMB and make fun of ourselves, so that they all get a chance to talk about how much they love us! And OHH! We can have them vote on who they want to kick off the board. That should keep them on their toes!"
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: Why the French Hate The U.S.
« Reply #67 on: May 10, 2006, 03:15:01 am »

Chedworth, Gloucestershire. Wiltshire.

...you make up town names, too.

"Cheers" to that, I guess.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

Hobo Frenzy

  • Showbiz
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 3
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 222
  • fuck*ng Moto Guzzi
    • View Profile
    • the best site in the universe
Re: Why the French Hate The U.S.
« Reply #68 on: May 10, 2006, 04:09:48 am »

Latin class was the best thing that EVER happened to me. I met my girlfriend of now three years in Latin Class. Rock on Latin!
Logged
Hey, what's this? Cursive?

Drygioni

  • formerly Judy
  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 194
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1796
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK
Re: Why the French Hate The U.S.
« Reply #69 on: May 10, 2006, 04:21:04 pm »

...you make up town names, too.

"Cheers" to that, I guess.

I live in these places, and you're telling me they don't exist?! Here's one for you: Little Falls Mets only exist because of a glitch in the Matrix. I bet you're one of those guys who pronounces Cirencester 'Chirenchester', like that crazy American blues guitarist I went to see. I live in a village called Hatherop.

On the subject of Off-Topic posts, it seems to happen in almost every single thread there is here. Is this normal? Being one who normally contributes to this diversions on the road to the subject, I need to know if I'm doing something wrong.

Logged
I am sorry for my behaviour last night.

1

  • Scrambles the Dog
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 11
  • Clay Regazzoni? Why not?
    • View Profile
Re: Why the French Hate The U.S.
« Reply #70 on: May 10, 2006, 04:35:45 pm »

Yeah, but to be fair, you did make up those place names, didn't you?
Logged
Lolita, light of my life, fire of my loins. My sin, my soul.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]   Go Up