Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood My bicycle is parked in the living room. A tub of tartar sauce sits open on the counter. Truly, the evidence of a wife being away too long.

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7   Go Down

Author Topic: Pokemon Kid  (Read 17028 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Honeycombhideout

  • Scrambles the Dog
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 18
    • View Profile
Logged
I didn't ask for a shrink - that must've been somebody else. Also, that pudding isn't mine. Also, I'm wearing this suit today because I had a very important meeting this morning and I don't have a crying problem.

Mite

  • Motel 6 Kind of Girl
  • King of the Make-Outs
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 6
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 584
    • View Profile
Re: Pokemon Kid
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2006, 03:11:17 pm »

I'm just glad the internet wasn't around when I was an obnoxiously precocious kid - I had to make due with traditional media when I made a complete fool of myself.

There's a lot of videos like this on youtube too...I keep trying to figure out who's responsible. Does an older sibling put them up to it? Do parents put these up? The kids themselves? I don't get it.
Logged
I'm no longer a Bankhead teacher, but I'll still take your cookies.

Drygioni

  • formerly Judy
  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 194
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1796
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK
Re: Pokemon Kid
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2006, 04:08:51 pm »

 :'(

Further amusement from laughing at dangerously unbalanced children (it's okay for me to do it, I'm still young)
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=382612478064184263&q=computer+kiddy&pl=true
Logged
I am sorry for my behaviour last night.

AlohaDawg

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 79
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4184
  • Crawlin' back to prosperity
    • View Profile
Re: Pokemon Kid
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2006, 06:43:29 pm »

It starts out cute and ends up 'exploitative'.

The Star Wars Kid case is finally over. He was suing his 'tormentors' for $351,000 and was hailed by educators for putting a face on 'cyber bullying'.

Although the definition of bullying has become so broad and some educator so militant (or litigation averse) that it almost seems silly, in my opinion. Between that, outlawing the game of 'tag' in some districts, and not allowing any kind of competition between kids, I'm sorry to say we are raising a generation of foppish wussies.

Venezuela is gonna come up here and kick our ass in 20 years if we don't toughen these kids up a little.



Logged

Honeycombhideout

  • Scrambles the Dog
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 18
    • View Profile
Re: Pokemon Kid
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2006, 06:57:36 pm »

You're not saying Pokemon Kid is a wuss, are you?
Logged
I didn't ask for a shrink - that must've been somebody else. Also, that pudding isn't mine. Also, I'm wearing this suit today because I had a very important meeting this morning and I don't have a crying problem.

FlipConstantine

  • Todd
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 20
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 322
  • In my hood homeboys state the obvious.
    • View Profile
    • Mac Fag Confidential
Re: Pokemon Kid
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2006, 06:58:16 pm »

It starts out cute and ends up 'exploitative'.

The Star Wars Kid case is finally over. He was suing his 'tormentors' for $351,000 and was hailed by educators for putting a face on 'cyber bullying'.

Although the definition of bullying has become so broad and some educator so militant (or litigation averse) that it almost seems silly, in my opinion. Between that, outlawing the game of 'tag' in some districts, and not allowing any kind of competition between kids, I'm sorry to say we are raising a generation of foppish wussies.

Venezuela is gonna come up here and kick our ass in 20 years if we don't toughen these kids up a little.

I think I agree with you, partly.  Having experienced some pretty nasty bullying myself (not that long ago) and seen authority figures ignore it or encourage it, there's obviously a problem with this sort of thing.  I agree that litigating, banning games, etc. is the wrong way to go about it (i always got picked last for kickball, but it was still hella fun).  But all these measures aren't actually people trying to do anything about the problem, it's just good ol' american stick-yer-head-inna-sand, band-aid, middle-class problem solving.  The real problem goes unchecked and the adults get to pat themselves on the back because they banned dodgeball.  Now Bruno Jr. just has to wait till after gym class to get his abuse on.  What needs to happen is teachers, parents and school administrators need to take an active role in making sure that school is not a hostile place for children.  

As to the "wussies" comment, well that's a little bit offensive.  Granted, I'm a self-avowed wussy, but calling someone a wussy because they don't want to be bullied, abused and beaten up every day untill they're terrified of going to school is callous and mean.  Yes, bullying is just small-minded people trying to be big, and we all know that, that doesn't make it any less hurtful for a little kid/adolescent.  
Logged
Everyday I'm hustlin.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Pokemon Kid
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2006, 11:24:45 pm »

hell of correct.

hell of correct.

this is also why I was bothered by that "Incredibles" movie.

Has anyone ever told someone not to try their hardest? Are "people who are good at things" the new "people who are bad at things"? How could I have missed this?

what I really didn't understand was how the Bad guy was using his mind to make himself equal to the superheroes. Why is that necessarily bad? People who make animated movies with computers apparently think that the strong should not be challenged by the smart. The whole reason the bad guy was bad was that he had been ignored and mistreated by the superhero guy.

granted, he was really annoying... but his "horribly evil" lines about how his inventions would make everyone stronger somehow seem to be explaining the essential purpose of technology.

but, returning to the "Cyber Bullying" thing... jesus, parents and teachers are so clueless. "what? billy called you a fag?? Gosh. I guess we'll have to make calling people fags against the rules. That will fix everything!"
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

V-Adore

  • Guest
Re: Pokemon Kid
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2006, 12:53:42 am »

I'm inclined to treat videos of this sort as the next logical outgrowth of the family photo album/camcorder trend -- the desire of parents and siblings to capture a kid doing something "cute"/stupid, and the inability of the kid not to realize that this is not in their best interests, with the tangy zip of the Internet. The fact that people haven't caught on to the significant added cruelty level of posting it on the Internet, where the potential exposure is huge, is just a sign that our mentality hasn't always caught up to our technology. (I often wonder how well aware people are of how big the Internet is and how quickly word can travel on it; this is especially true after reading the case of a woman who self-published her novel-length Star Wars fanfic and offered it for sale on Amazon.com, defending herself by saying that "only (her) friends and family knew it was there." Well, no, ma'am -- the Internet is not closed. Once it's on the biggest online bookseller, your potential lawsuit is visible to anyone with a computer. What about this is unclear?)
Logged

robot_god

  • roast beef (the middle cat)
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 74
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1195
  • Oh my gosh, dude.
    • View Profile
    • ALP Myspace Site
Re: Pokemon Kid
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2006, 02:22:42 am »

the desire of parents to capture a kid doing something "cute"/stupid

I hate that shit.  Hove some dignity.
Logged
ACHIEVE

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
Re: Pokemon Kid
« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2006, 04:56:33 am »

I think the message behind the Incredibles was really that if everyone is special, then no one is. 

I know my parents', and especially my grandparents' generation has looked down on each subsequent generation as being slackers, but the kids coming up today (and yes, this is a generalisation) have trouble with logical thinking, let alone execution.  Is the test too hard?  Why, we can simply lower the standards.  We don't want our kids to get low self-esteem because they score low on a test, do we?  You know what builds self-esteem?  Setting lofty goals, and then meeting them by rising to the challenge.  Being given everything and sheltered doesn't result in high self-esteem.  It engenders resentment at best, and incompetence as the average outcome.

Over-protecting children is under-protecting them.  The kids who can't play outside because of germs will end up being too weak to survive as adults.  Treating everyone the same is telling kids that there is no point in excelling because there is no reward in it.  Just tow the line.  Do the minimum.  Know your place.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Pokemon Kid
« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2006, 05:33:29 am »

the point is that everyone is special, because everyone is unique. Mr Incredible had amazing strength and stuff. his wife could stretch. the bad guy could invent things. why is it that when mr incredible uses his powers, or his wife uses hers, it's a noble and amazing thing, but the very idea that the other guy could use his brains to invent things was abhorrent?

I don't know. I understood the point they were trying to make, but the examples and comparisons they used to make it really bothered me. It seems to me that the world is shitty enough that trying to protect young kids makes sense.

as a counter-example: my dad never played on an organized sports team until he was in junior high. he played baseball and football in the backyard, and basketball wherever there was a hoop.
my younger brother, who is the opposite of me in terms of being an incredibly athletic person, has been playing on organized teams (little league, rec leagues, etc.) since he was in 1st grade. In 3rd or 4th grade, he realized that he needed to pick his sport-- most of the kids on his teams had already decided to focus exclusively on one of the sports. Because he could no longer compete with people who played baseball every season all year, he quit baseball, and now he only plays basketball. I realize that there is no way to avoid this. he is now an incredible basketball player. but should kids really have to be so competitive at such a young age?

Similar things apply to college admissions; younger and younger kids have to focus on college in every decision they make. And increasingly, being perfect sometimes isn't enough. people are increasingly competitive, but the process ends up seeming completely random. this is especially apparent among my immediate circle of friends-- one girl, whose every move has been calculated, who everyone assumed was perfect for every school she applied to, was rejected by every school except UNC (which, of course is an incredible school. but try telling that to the girl whose parents have been telling her she should go to Harvard since she was fresh out of the womb). On the other hand, a girl I know who is quite well-balanced, but certainly not as "perfect" as the first girl. She is going to Yale.
 I realize that this increased selectivity across the board is the result of increasing college admissions, higher competitiveness, etc. But is this really where we want education to be going?

There has been an ongoing poll which asks this question: what is the most stressful thing that you've had to go through in your life?
Answers have shifted over the years: getting a job (in the depression), fighting the war (40's), buying a first house, etc. Increasingly, people answer "getting into college". Is this what we've come to?

and... yeah. Pokemon kid sure is funny.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: Pokemon Kid
« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2006, 05:50:56 am »

Whenever I start to feel bad about these damn kids today, I think about folks like Andalucia, Bozack, Hobot, Theinevitable, and Judyetc.  Then I feel better.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Pokemon Kid
« Reply #12 on: April 24, 2006, 06:26:06 am »

thanks a lot.
I'm going to be honest. I saw a guy at a party saturday night, and I convinced myself it was you. mostly because you'd asked me what dorm I was in, I had the impression that you were at Wash U (although I guess that was in the past?), and the guy looked really really familiar.

also: to clarify, the example of my two acquaintances might have been due to karma or some kind of divine retribution. the first girl is a bitch. also, she was the type who assumed she'd have no trouble getting into any school. whereas the second girl is nice, and interesting.

also, our theory is that the first girl's parents helped her a little too much on her essays. that kind of thing always shows through. or maybe, her essays were a little too much "what they wanted to hear"...
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

robot_god

  • roast beef (the middle cat)
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 74
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1195
  • Oh my gosh, dude.
    • View Profile
    • ALP Myspace Site
Re: Pokemon Kid
« Reply #13 on: April 24, 2006, 07:23:13 am »

I don't think anyone reads those essays.  And if they do, they are a very tiny part of the decision process.

I might be talking out of my ass here, but it doesn't matter which college you go to as long as you get a degree in something worthwhile.

A friend of mine might be starting this two year radiology program, I hear that is pretty good.  He probably won't get in though, because he fails or withdraws from every class he takes.  This other dude is doing some kind of music engineering, I dunno if that will be worth anything, but becoming a music producer is probably something that would pay off, and it's easy.  If I had a decent studio, I could probably do that shit with no prior knowledge.  The only hard part is getting good drum sounds...

Friend of mine doing journalism, she'll probably be fucked when she's out of school.  Business, that will probably go nowhere, he is probably just doing it because his sister is involved in Wall Street.  My good friend across the street, he is going into communications, I think, because he wants to do advertising, and that might be a good idea because is an amazing artist and has a great mind for marketing.  Other dude started some honors program of literature and theology and he just dropped out despite having a scholarship.  I think he lost the scholarship and was just lying about it, though.  Definitly for the best, a theology degree would have been retarded, would have spent the rest of his life as an assistant professor or a wino.

Personally, I think the only good choice is the one I made, doing this pharmacy thing, but if you get involved in a six year program...  well lets just say I want to punch myself in the balls, full strength, when I think I still have over three years to go with school.  I'm happy with my choice, though.  It's just taking so long.

Other good ideas:  trade school for plumbing, trade school for electrician, swishy cape in the Paris sewers.





Someone gave me The Incredibles DVD and I haven't watched it.  I hear I am missing out.
Logged
ACHIEVE

FlipConstantine

  • Todd
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 20
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 322
  • In my hood homeboys state the obvious.
    • View Profile
    • Mac Fag Confidential
Re: Pokemon Kid
« Reply #14 on: April 24, 2006, 07:46:53 am »

swishy cape in the Paris sewers.

Oh yeah, I'm doing that one, except at Truman they call it "English".  Weird.
Logged
Everyday I'm hustlin.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7   Go Up