Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Hydroponic seltzer clams.

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Money's 50 Best Jobs!  (Read 6834 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Money's 50 Best Jobs!
« Reply #15 on: April 25, 2006, 02:00:58 pm »

Really this whole thing is very silly.  Like those lists of 'best places to live.'  It's such an individual thing.  How can they expect anyone to take them seriously when they write that that one guy has the best job in America. I wouldn't want his job in a million years.  I'd rather.... yeah, pick up animal poop, even!
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

AlohaDawg

  • Moderator
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 79
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4184
  • Crawlin' back to prosperity
    • View Profile
Re: Money's 50 Best Jobs!
« Reply #16 on: April 25, 2006, 08:09:09 pm »

Wow, they're... pretty optimistic about science, huh? As compared to most of the stuff I've actually been hearing, which seems to indicate that the NIH grants are running out and the sky is falling.

I've been in the government grant game for a long time. It goes in cycles. Plus, there is a war on and that won't last forever. More disciplined spending is really what is needed here - the government doles out money for silly stuff occasionally - also, more basic science. Leave the product development to those who stand to profit.

When (and it will happen) the political winds turn the other way, the money usually starts flowing more freely.

Logged

thedudeabides85

  • YOUR OLD FRIEND BLISTER
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 3
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 60
  • Say good things about my dick
    • View Profile
Re: Money's 50 Best Jobs!
« Reply #17 on: May 09, 2006, 09:17:53 pm »

What the crap?  They neglected my job -- Patrick Swayze Impersonator.
Logged

miles

  • Stinkfist
  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10030
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3476
    • View Profile
    • Last.fm
Re: Money's 50 Best Jobs!
« Reply #18 on: May 10, 2006, 05:15:15 am »

Say that in the middle of your first LSAT Prep Course class you want to drive a foil cutter into your temple.  Is this a bad sign?
Logged
Order is indeed the dream of man, but chaos, which is only another word for dumb, blind, witless chance, is still the law of nature. - Wallace Stegner

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: Money's 50 Best Jobs!
« Reply #19 on: May 10, 2006, 06:36:37 am »

See, phooey on the naysayers.

I'm really into this whole "Sort of trying to be a screenwriter but being cripplingly inconfident and dying behind a Ralphs in North Hollywood, lying in a bed of the steaming remains of your dreams" career path thing.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

V-Adore

  • Guest
Re: Money's 50 Best Jobs!
« Reply #20 on: May 10, 2006, 11:39:15 am »

Say that in the middle of your first LSAT Prep Course class you want to drive a foil cutter into your temple.  Is this a bad sign?

Nah. Standardized tests aren't actually very much like whatever they're supposed to be prepping you to do; if you feel the same in your first law class, that's a indicator of a problem.
Logged

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
Re: Money's 50 Best Jobs!
« Reply #21 on: May 10, 2006, 02:24:26 pm »

Did anyone else take that Strong aptitude test in high school, where you answered how you felt about a number of things and then they told you what your ideal job would be?

I still remember my top three:

Architect
Home Furnishings Designer
Ballistic Missile Technician (or something like that)

I was really into playing and studying music at the time and was dismayed that musician wasn't higher up on my list (it didn't show up in the top 10).

However, now I am kind of an architect and designer, so THE TEST WAS RIGHT AFTER ALL.  I didn't plan on doing computer design work for a living, I just kind of fell into it as a hobby that grew into a career. DAMN YOU, APTITUDE TESTS!

misterqueue

  • Sick Fuck
  • VIP
  • R I S O T T O ?
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 25
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 2011
  • I can do anything I want. And so can you.
    • View Profile
    • A Reason for Diseasin'
Re: Money's 50 Best Jobs!
« Reply #22 on: May 10, 2006, 02:39:46 pm »

Mine said "Shitty Worthless Writer who will die penniless"

Or something similar.  Seriously the top 3 were all artsy jobs that I would love to have if only I had the nerve and the metabolism to do without food and shelter at random times.

So, basically being a coward, I went into computers for which I also had a strange (yet uncompelling) knack.  It's... it's kind of creative.. I... guess?  *silently weeps*
Logged
So it's satire, is it?  Well that changes everything!

Lockjaw is serious times.

V-Adore

  • Guest
Re: Money's 50 Best Jobs!
« Reply #23 on: May 10, 2006, 03:33:40 pm »

I believe mine said psychology, which was great, because I was a huge psychology wonk at the time. Then I decided Psych was too fluffy and went into Bio instead... which led me to Neuro. DESTINY?
Logged

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Money's 50 Best Jobs!
« Reply #24 on: May 10, 2006, 03:56:34 pm »

dang, we never got to take those.

and we can't figure it out... they just skipped a year or something. kids above and below us took it... we did not.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

Hobot

  • DISK ONE OF SIX
  • Teodor
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 21
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 861
  • Appearing in a tortilla near you.
    • View Profile
    • Your music is inadequate.
Re: Money's 50 Best Jobs!
« Reply #25 on: May 10, 2006, 04:19:36 pm »

We never took the test at my school, because we had to sign a document with our own blood before we graduated saying that we would settle down immediately after college to a life of homemaking and childbearing.


And V, PSYCHIATRIC GENETICS is clearly the answer.
Logged
You had me at "I dig both ladies and fellows."

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Money's 50 Best Jobs!
« Reply #26 on: May 10, 2006, 04:26:11 pm »

I never took one of those tests.  But I thought about what you'd have thought I'd grow up to be if you had observed me as a child.  The first weird nerdy thing I ever did was try to write a book about insects. (Insects being really the only wildlife that one can observe regularly in the Bronx.)  So I guess that since in my life I have published some things, and now am feeding insects to animals... I have managed to fulfill my destiny in a roundabout way.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

Drygioni

  • formerly Judy
  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 194
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1796
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK
Re: Money's 50 Best Jobs!
« Reply #27 on: May 10, 2006, 04:28:03 pm »

I am going to be a teacher. I would like to be a teacher. My test which told us what we should do said I should teach as well. I want to teach, desperately. I cannot wait to teach. I would like to teach History or English or Music.

I would like to be a teacher.
Logged
I am sorry for my behaviour last night.

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: Money's 50 Best Jobs!
« Reply #28 on: May 10, 2006, 04:30:49 pm »

I would like to be a teacher.

I have a daughter that would like that as well.  It must be nice to know at 15 what you want your career to be.  I surely didn't.  I think I'm getting pretty close to figuring it out now, if I can just make it pay...
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

FlipConstantine

  • Todd
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 20
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 322
  • In my hood homeboys state the obvious.
    • View Profile
    • Mac Fag Confidential
Re: Money's 50 Best Jobs!
« Reply #29 on: May 10, 2006, 04:47:22 pm »

Man, that aptitude test gave me "Philologist".  If I have to look it up it's not a real job.
Logged
Everyday I'm hustlin.
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up