Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood Jumping jacks, flinging myself off of low decks, yelling into an empty bottle of carrot juice. Trying to get in writing mode.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Down

Author Topic: Please do not shoot at police in their own parking lot.  (Read 18234 times)

0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Please do not shoot at police in their own parking lot.
« Reply #30 on: May 10, 2006, 01:50:59 am »

I know this is horrible.
horrible.
but something about the construction of the sentence "please do not shoot at police in their own parking lot." is really satisfying.
the reflexive possessive pronoun...
the period...
the "please"...

Mmmm.

It is not the content. Shooting police is unacceptable. I once got in a screaming, threatening-to-kick-her-out-of-my-car argument with my ex about her singing "fuck the police". I do not appreciate that sentiment. The police are doing their job-- their job which is to protect your ass and property.

Did anyone hear about the supreme court case where the guy was schizophrenic and thought his town was being taken over by aliens?
and he shot a police officer because he thought he was an alien coming to get him?

it led to such legal gems as (paraphrased) "no, he was not acting with a knowledge of the morality of his actions. Yes, he fled the scene. This was not due to moral knowledge... it was because he believed the alien overlord would come after him."

and all the justices were asking these really serious questions about it...

it was a case, actually, about the constitutionality of their refusal to give him the insanity defense.

the human mind is so fascinating. I love it. I love it.
and fear it.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

misterqueue

  • Sick Fuck
  • VIP
  • R I S O T T O ?
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 25
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 2011
  • I can do anything I want. And so can you.
    • View Profile
    • A Reason for Diseasin'
Re: Please do not shoot at police in their own parking lot.
« Reply #31 on: May 10, 2006, 01:54:25 am »

Well the song fuck the police does indeed have some merit to it.  I suspect the LAPD in the late 80's and early 90's were not (as a whole) the best thing to live around as a black youth.  You can do the round robin finger pointing whether it was the chicken or the egg that started the whole deal but that gets you nowhere.

In essence, it is understandable that some of the LAPD would get cynical and essentially corrupt after dealing with the neighborhood, and it is understandable that the neighborhood would respond in kind.  I guess what I'm trying to say is singing "Fuck the Police" is basically pretty low on the scale of "I'm going to kick you out of my car" offenses, but we each have our line.

Logged
So it's satire, is it?  Well that changes everything!

Lockjaw is serious times.

Carlos del Vaca

  • The Mayor
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1316
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5007
  • Greetings from Banana Town
    • View Profile
    • bigfool.com
Re: Please do not shoot at police in their own parking lot.
« Reply #32 on: May 10, 2006, 01:55:25 am »

It's probably worth noting that not only should you not shoot at police in their own parking lot, but not anywhere else either.

Sure.  It's just that opening fire in the parking lot of a police station seems to greatly decrease one's chance of surviving the encounter.
Logged
My friends call me the Mayor.
My enemies don't call me anything.  'Cuz they're all dead.

FlipConstantine

  • Todd
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 20
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 322
  • In my hood homeboys state the obvious.
    • View Profile
    • Mac Fag Confidential
Re: Please do not shoot at police in their own parking lot.
« Reply #33 on: May 10, 2006, 02:13:00 am »

Well the song fuck the police does indeed have some merit to it.  I suspect the LAPD in the late 80's and early 90's were not (as a whole) the best thing to live around as a black youth.  You can do the round robin finger pointing whether it was the chicken or the egg that started the whole deal but that gets you nowhere.

Not to mention that it is an AWESOME SONG.  I mean, no offense intended but come on:

Quote from: Ice Cube
Fuck tha police
Comin straight from the underground
Young nigga got it bad cuz I'm brown
And not the other color so police think
They have the authority to kill a minority

You tell me that is not some lyrical flow skillz right there.  You just try and tell me.


Also yeah, not in favor of killin po-po either, just recognizing.
Logged
Everyday I'm hustlin.

misterqueue

  • Sick Fuck
  • VIP
  • R I S O T T O ?
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 25
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 2011
  • I can do anything I want. And so can you.
    • View Profile
    • A Reason for Diseasin'
Re: Please do not shoot at police in their own parking lot.
« Reply #34 on: May 10, 2006, 02:14:51 am »

That along with Wicked is really the only classic gangsta stuff I can hang with, but this is a whole other discussion.

You know, Ice Cube plays it up like he's running around with 14 AK's in his trunk, but I bet you could take him over to your mom's for dinner and he'd be a pretty nice guy.

Things would go to hell when he told grandma to "pass the motherfuckin' potatoes bitch!" after having a few cold brews though.
Logged
So it's satire, is it?  Well that changes everything!

Lockjaw is serious times.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Please do not shoot at police in their own parking lot.
« Reply #35 on: May 10, 2006, 02:39:45 am »

yeah

the issue was more that she totally bought into the idea that you should hate the police.

when, I mean, come on. She's a rich white teenage girl. they basically love her.

I will not deny that the song is catchy and maybe relevant in that time and place. But her turning it up and singing along because we're passing a police station was just rude.

although the fight had maybe more to do with her being a really bad girlfriend. maybe.

so, yeah.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

misterqueue

  • Sick Fuck
  • VIP
  • R I S O T T O ?
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 25
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 2011
  • I can do anything I want. And so can you.
    • View Profile
    • A Reason for Diseasin'
Re: Please do not shoot at police in their own parking lot.
« Reply #36 on: May 10, 2006, 02:43:13 am »

TI: I think you've learned a lesson here.


A lesson about finding the real problem.



You can't blame all your problem on the 5-0 and Ice Cube dude, you just... well you can't.
Logged
So it's satire, is it?  Well that changes everything!

Lockjaw is serious times.

smick

  • -=Ray=-
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1351
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1437
  • MasturBot 342: ONLINE
    • View Profile
Re: Please do not shoot at police in their own parking lot.
« Reply #37 on: May 10, 2006, 03:52:14 pm »

I guess what I'm trying to say is singing "Fuck the Police" is basically pretty low on the scale of "I'm going to kick you out of my car" offenses, but we each have our line.

Mine is 'chewing with your mouth open'.   Seriously.   Get out and walk.   
Logged

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
Re: Please do not shoot at police in their own parking lot.
« Reply #38 on: May 10, 2006, 05:44:43 pm »

So no love for Zack McCracken and the Alien Mindbenders?  On the Commodore 128?

misterqueue

  • Sick Fuck
  • VIP
  • R I S O T T O ?
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 25
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 2011
  • I can do anything I want. And so can you.
    • View Profile
    • A Reason for Diseasin'
Re: Please do not shoot at police in their own parking lot.
« Reply #39 on: May 10, 2006, 05:46:59 pm »

So no love for Zack McCracken and the Alien Mindbenders?  On the Commodore 128?

Oh hell yes!  I THOUGHT I WAS THE ONLY ONE!

(Seriously, my 10 year old self sprayed soda on my friends computer when I read the broom's dialogue)  It was a Commodore 64 in my case though.  (SEPERATE FLOPPY DRIVE!)
Logged
So it's satire, is it?  Well that changes everything!

Lockjaw is serious times.

V-Adore

  • Guest
Re: Please do not shoot at police in their own parking lot.
« Reply #40 on: May 10, 2006, 08:07:17 pm »

C'mon, folks, where's the love for LOOM, it of such nonintuitive puzzles that an entire room of college students, working together, couldn't get past the first island? (Admittedly, we were not working at maximum mental capacity, but...)
Logged

Hobo Frenzy

  • Showbiz
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 3
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 222
  • fuck*ng Moto Guzzi
    • View Profile
    • the best site in the universe
Re: Please do not shoot at police in their own parking lot.
« Reply #41 on: May 10, 2006, 09:25:11 pm »

A game that I recently got back into is the original Prince Of Persia. My Got this game is amazing. I remember playing it as a kid and I could never figure out the part where you fight your mirror image. It's tricky as hell! I finally beat it recently and I now have closure in my life. If you want to download it you can here.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2006, 11:35:35 pm by Hobo Frenzy »
Logged
Hey, what's this? Cursive?

Ben-San

  • -=Ray=-
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 164
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1259
  • Two-Fisted Detective
    • View Profile
Re: Please do not shoot at police in their own parking lot.
« Reply #42 on: May 10, 2006, 10:27:32 pm »

C'mon, folks, where's the love for LOOM, it of such nonintuitive puzzles that an entire room of college students, working together, couldn't get past the first island? (Admittedly, we were not working at maximum mental capacity, but...)

If this is about the "opening the sky" bit, I seem to recall that the manual or one of the other included booklets had a hint regarding that.
Logged

V-Adore

  • Guest
Re: Please do not shoot at police in their own parking lot.
« Reply #43 on: May 10, 2006, 11:29:49 pm »

If this is about the "opening the sky" bit, I seem to recall that the manual or one of the other included booklets had a hint regarding that.

I believe we got stuck on the twisty wind and, more specifically, on the other puzzle that we didn't even know was there but was a prerequisite for the twisty wind. Admittedly, we spent probably too much of our time plowing Bobbin into the waterspot over and over and laughing, so, y'know.
Logged

Hobo Frenzy

  • Showbiz
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 3
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 222
  • fuck*ng Moto Guzzi
    • View Profile
    • the best site in the universe
Re: Please do not shoot at police in their own parking lot.
« Reply #44 on: May 11, 2006, 12:25:38 am »

Well guys I tried, I really did. But for the life of me I couldn't get the sound to work. I tried downloading all sorts of patches and files but I just can't figure it out. So if you still want to play Loom you can download it here. But it will not have sounds. Also the game manual can be found here.

I want to get this working so there may be an updated post i the future...

(By the way, I've never played Loom so I'm only assuming that this is indeed the one and only Loom that  you speak of. It starts with a hooded/cloaked figure standing under a tree with but one leaf.)
Logged
Hey, what's this? Cursive?
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Up