Well, if you're going to take the misused terminology of the so-called 1994 crime prevention act which merely banned features and use that to say "this is what an assault weapon" is, then just say so. An assault weapon is any weapon used to assault people, OR a mid-caliber weapon with full auto capabilities 10 rounds is not high capacity, we've had twenty round handguns since the Civil War.
In CA, .50 caliber weapons are banned because everyone knows that they can shoot down satellites, airliners, destroy fuel tank railcars, and pass through a dozen orphanages and daycare centers without stopping.
(emphasis added by AD)Fooker - if you are transparently anti-gun, that's OK. But I'm not misusing any terminology, I'm only stating how the definition is generally applied. There are also assault cars, baseball bats and hands that are assault weapons under your broad definition, but in this case 'assault' is used in the military sense, not the 'personal violence' sense. Also, my statement is neutral in that I don't have an opinion about the NFA act or what is or isn't an assault weapon - (with the exception of the word 'silly' applied to the replica guns (and clearly stated as my opinion)) it's just a statement of fact. It's a definition. If you disagree with the definition, contact your congressional delegation and work in changing the legislation. Clearly you have a strong opinion, and good for you - but don't take it out on me when all I do is explain what is and isn't covered under NFA.
Also, an 'assault weapon' need not be fully auto as you state. A mid-caliber semiautomatic weapon with a detachable magazine holding >10 rounds (or a handgun with a magazine that extends beyond the grip or attaches outside the grip) qualifies. Any weapon that fires and chambers a single round without the shooters action beyond pulling the trigger is semiautomatic. If you need to throw a bolt, cock a lever or if the weapon has a revolving chamber it's not semiautomatic.
This next part
is my opinion.
Inevitable - I'm sorry you're afraid of guns. But since there are lots of people with really bad experiences that cause them to be afraid of guns, I won't tell you you should or shouldn't, but I would ask you to think about why you're afraid of them and how your experience with guns and/or people with guns has shaped your feelings about guns.
I've had to have words with more than one school about the whole 'all guns are bad' thing they try to tell my kid. What does a soldier or a cop look like to a kid who has been taught that all guns are bad? She knows she should tell a parent or a policeman if she sees a gun. She knows she should never ever touch a gun unless her mom or I are with her and tell her it's OK. And she knows that a person with a gun can kill another person, even by accident. I try to avoid attaching a moral value to the concept of a gun - it's an inanimate object, a device, a tool. But I do try to teach her to respect it's power and potential for destruction in the wrong hands. For those of you interested the NRA has a safety program for kids called
Eddie the Eagle GunsafeI agree with the ban on assault weapons and also machine guns. I also agree with requiring people to qualify to own a gun - and it should be any gun. And the stiffer the requirements, the better within reason. I agree with harsher punishments for gun crimes. But I don't believe a firearms ban is a feasible or reasonable idea in today's America.
My seven year old daughter will probably get to shoot some very small guns (or possibly air guns) at the Shooters Fair in Hawaii in July. I want to take her to understand that there are many, many people with guns who are not police or soldiers that are good, careful and professional people. She can make up her own mind about the politics and morality of guns later, and she surely will. But I don't want her to make that decision in a vacuum of experience and knowledge.
I also believe that the owner of a gun should be at least partially responsible for a crime committed with the gun - particularly in the cases where a teenager gets a dad or uncle's gun and carries out some kind of crime...like a school shooting or the kid shooting at the police. An unsecured gun should result in its owner bearing some share of responsibility for the crime.