Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Sometimes I don't know what the fuck y'all are talking about and I'm cool with that.

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6   Go Down

Author Topic: Happy Birthday Asherdan!  (Read 12494 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Drygioni

  • formerly Judy
  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 194
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1796
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK
Re: Happy Birthday Asherdan!
« Reply #45 on: May 19, 2006, 10:26:00 pm »

I have never gotten the whole "tubes tied" thing. Where does the sperm/egg/whatever go? Does it just get reabsorbed into the body?

Seconded. It was all explained somehow until this thread existed. Before it was all 'the little mates can't get through the tube no more. Okay'. Now it's 'If that was true, your balls would explode!'

Though, I think you only produce as many potential baby-makers as you need. So if they can't go through they just return home and sit on the couch and no more is made. Deductive Logic.
Logged
I am sorry for my behaviour last night.

robot_god

  • roast beef (the middle cat)
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 74
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1195
  • Oh my gosh, dude.
    • View Profile
    • ALP Myspace Site
Re: Happy Birthday Asherdan!
« Reply #46 on: May 20, 2006, 02:01:53 am »

I have never gotten the whole "tubes tied" thing. Where does the sperm/egg/whatever go? Does it just get reabsorbed into the body?

I believe the bozack swells into an angry little plum.  If perchance you get close enough to the swollen bozack, you can actually hear the cries of agony and confusion.
Logged
ACHIEVE

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Happy Birthday Asherdan!
« Reply #47 on: May 20, 2006, 02:59:08 am »

Judy-- that isn't true. I know this for A Reason.


The reason is that if you produce too many, they will find other ways to get out. they don't like being all stuck in there like that. Also: they are most likely to get a lady Pregnant if they are "fresh."
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

robot_god

  • roast beef (the middle cat)
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 74
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1195
  • Oh my gosh, dude.
    • View Profile
    • ALP Myspace Site
Re: Happy Birthday Asherdan!
« Reply #48 on: May 20, 2006, 09:03:40 am »

I'm not sure, but I would assume they are reabsorbed.  Perhaps V would know about this?

I would think that the spermatazoa would back up into the seminiferous tubules where they would be reabsorbed by the Sertoli cells, the same cells that reabsorb malfunctioning secondary spermatogonia (immature sperm cells).  Sertolis are like these huge gelatinous cells right outside the tubules where the spermatogonia first develop, and the spermatogonia must pass through before developing into mature sperm and reaching the epididymis, where I believe the cut is made in a vasectomy.

But I dunno... I was already tested on that crap, so I'm forgetting it by the second.
Logged
ACHIEVE

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Happy Birthday Asherdan!
« Reply #49 on: May 20, 2006, 03:24:47 pm »

Spermatagonia... Patagonia!
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

Mite

  • Motel 6 Kind of Girl
  • King of the Make-Outs
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 6
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 584
    • View Profile
Re: Happy Birthday Asherdan!
« Reply #50 on: May 20, 2006, 04:10:40 pm »

Work's been crazy and I got temporarily addicted to Civ 3 so I wasn't reading the boards, but congrats Ash! I guess being weeks early makes for an easy (if nail-biting) labor? Will you get to stop with the cold showers soon?

It's just amazing how far fertility/NICU tech have come in the last 30 years. Remember when premies were such a huge deal and you were a shrivelled old lady if you hadn't had kids by 35? Now it ain't hardly nothing. Gives me hope, since I'm not planning on shooting out the kids for a good little while yet (need to have the PhD thesis bound and in my hand first).

Jesus - the amount of work we spend trying to not have babies is only exceeded by the amount of work we then spend trying to have them. Crazy.
Logged
I'm no longer a Bankhead teacher, but I'll still take your cookies.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Happy Birthday Asherdan!
« Reply #51 on: May 20, 2006, 05:10:13 pm »

Mite-- my mom for some reason (or, by some accident) had a kid (me!) right before her thesis was done. this was probably not great for her. or my dad.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

swinehund

  • Chucklebot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 140
  • you cannot defeat me, I wear the mask of vulcan
    • View Profile
    • blaagh
Re: Happy Birthday Asherdan!
« Reply #52 on: May 20, 2006, 06:54:46 pm »

And I'm assuming she finished it? Your mom is one tough lady.
Logged

V-Adore

  • Guest
Re: Happy Birthday Asherdan!
« Reply #53 on: May 20, 2006, 06:57:22 pm »

I am really not the bio wonk to ask about this (I'm mostly Neuro), but I believe that sperm can just be broken down and reabsorbed. I'm not sure what happens to eggs as a result of tubal ligation, although reabsorption would make sense. Any actual developmental/medical-types who could answer this?

I really am not sure when I'll be having children, personally. There's the Ph.D. thesis to worry about, and this is even before we get into Relationship Problems (see: the Molly thread). I count myself blessed that genetics appears to be on my side in this one, though; my mother was 34 when I was born, and her mother was having kids well into her 40's, so there may be hope for my having a kid at 30 or so once I'm on tenure track. It also helps that I'm going into Neuroscience, which is for some reason an increasingly female-dominated science, so that may make things easier on a professional level.
Logged

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Happy Birthday Asherdan!
« Reply #54 on: May 20, 2006, 07:37:08 pm »

swine-- yeah, she finished it. it was pretty awesome. not to brag, but OH MY GOD MY MOM IS SO fuck*ng SMART. she won some big award for having like, the best thesis in the state of california.


yeah, my mom is a hell of tough lady. but, you know, only when it's necessary.

but I think it was a pretty tough couple of years there. me being born, and most of my dad's paycheck going to UCLA for my mom's tuition, and my mom being stressed about finishing the phD... it was tough. plus, LA is not a cheap place to live.

On the Plus side: my parents ended up getting the lady next door to babysit me, and she had just had a baby, and that family is still really good friends of ours. plus, the daughter ended up being really really hot (as in: when I say she is a model, I am being literal), in addition to being one of the smartest people I have ever met.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

swinehund

  • Chucklebot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 140
  • you cannot defeat me, I wear the mask of vulcan
    • View Profile
    • blaagh
Re: Happy Birthday Asherdan!
« Reply #55 on: May 20, 2006, 08:04:30 pm »

swine-- yeah, she finished it. it was pretty awesome. not to brag, but OH MY GOD MY MOM IS SO fuck*ng SMART. she won some big award for having like, the best thesis in the state of california.

That is all pretty awesome. My labmate is all like that, but without having the kids. She basically gets scholarships thrown at her all the time. Maybe I should be jealous, and maybe I am a little, but mostly I am just proud of her. Also I can bench press her, so that helps.
Logged

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Happy Birthday Asherdan!
« Reply #56 on: May 20, 2006, 08:26:24 pm »

this reminds me of this time I went up to my bio teacher, and started telling him about this cool thing I read about.

he said "oh yeah. the guy who's doing it was *name of guy*. He was my roommate at UNC. He followed his dream to be a researcher, and I decided I'd teach highschoolers. well, he was smarter than me, anyway... *sigh*"
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

V-Adore

  • Guest
Re: Happy Birthday Asherdan!
« Reply #57 on: May 20, 2006, 09:05:07 pm »

this reminds me of this time I went up to my bio teacher, and started telling him about this cool thing I read about.

he said "oh yeah. the guy who's doing it was *name of guy*. He was my roommate at UNC. He followed his dream to be a researcher, and I decided I'd teach highschoolers. well, he was smarter than me, anyway... *sigh*"

Science is a small, small world. When I interviewed at Cornell, once I mentioned where I went, half the professors I talked to asked me if I knew Professor Blah, and if he was still using the Blargh Protocol in his lab... I swear, one interview was like five minutes of my discussing my goals and twenty minutes of "you TA'd for Blah's intro lab? Does he still use Blargh? How did that go? Did the undergraduates get it?"
Logged

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Happy Birthday Asherdan!
« Reply #58 on: May 20, 2006, 09:19:55 pm »

oh awesome.

Did you end up going to cornell? or... will you? if you do , check out professor Daryl Bem. He's pretty great. I enjoyed his class. Of course, it was an intro class, so maybe he only teaches lower-level stuff (psych. which I assume is in some way connected to neuroscience? maybe?)

OH GOD I'm doing it too.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

V-Adore

  • Guest
Re: Happy Birthday Asherdan!
« Reply #59 on: May 20, 2006, 09:28:12 pm »

I didn't get into Cornell.

Sorry for that vicious anticlimax.
Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6   Go Up