Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit? - Nabu

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down

Author Topic: 17 May 2006 - Google, someone who was nineteen designed your logo.  (Read 8968 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

FlipConstantine

  • Todd
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 20
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 322
  • In my hood homeboys state the obvious.
    • View Profile
    • Mac Fag Confidential
Re: 17 May 2006 - Google, someone who was nineteen designed your logo.
« Reply #30 on: May 18, 2006, 05:36:06 am »

But I read somewhere (I think it might have been Time magazine) that Google tried some kind of update, which was causing old information to come to tops of searches.  I feel like I have noticed the direct result of this problem.

You are correct about this I believe.  There was a rash of "OMG GOOGLE IS FULL" stories a couple weeks ago, which apparently were misinterpretations of the real news, which was that they were becoming clogged with a lot of spam due to a Googlebot update, though I haven't noticed it personally.
Logged
Everyday I'm hustlin.

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: 17 May 2006 - Google, someone who was nineteen designed your logo.
« Reply #31 on: May 18, 2006, 01:35:15 pm »

Yeah I can't find shit on Goggle anymore.  I thought it was just me.

~Paul
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

Doc

  • Growing Cucumbers of Impressive Dimensions
  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1408
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5017
  • an emergency backup pug
    • View Profile
Re: 17 May 2006 - Google, someone who was nineteen designed your logo.
« Reply #32 on: May 18, 2006, 01:50:21 pm »

Any thoughts from people who use google scholar? I tend to use it as a secondary reference and use more reputable journal databases for my main literature searches but it does throw up some good stuff now and then. Not sure how reliable their citation index is but thats a bit iffy no matter where you look.
Logged
Inev: 'A lot of things are ridiculous if you think about them long enough, you know?'

Carlos del Vaca

  • The Mayor
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1316
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5007
  • Greetings from Banana Town
    • View Profile
    • bigfool.com
Re: 17 May 2006 - Google, someone who was nineteen designed your logo.
« Reply #33 on: May 18, 2006, 02:45:23 pm »

Hmmm.  I still find damn well near anything I want with Google.  Go figure.
Logged
My friends call me the Mayor.
My enemies don't call me anything.  'Cuz they're all dead.

AlohaDawg

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 79
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4184
  • Crawlin' back to prosperity
    • View Profile
Re: 17 May 2006 - Google, someone who was nineteen designed your logo.
« Reply #34 on: May 18, 2006, 07:36:51 pm »

Yeah I can't find shit on Goggle anymore.  I thought it was just me.

~Paul

There's all kinds of shit on google.
Logged

Lister

  • Teodor
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 101
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 892
  • 2, 4, 6, 8, time to transubstantiate!
    • View Profile
Re: 17 May 2006 - Google, someone who was nineteen designed your logo.
« Reply #35 on: May 18, 2006, 09:16:42 pm »

This is exactly what happened with every other search engine ever, which is basically that they made an algorithm that found good info, then the people who want you to click on their porn ads figured out the algorithm.

The problem is not really with Google, though they could probably filter out most of these fake results with a little "Don't return results with 'fuck' on the same page" checkbox or something.  The problem is that there are apparently very ingenious people who want you to click on their porn ads, and they have more time/energy than Google does.

Maybe I'll just automatically put "-sluts" in every search and see how that works.
Logged
Lister.  Not that one, the other one.

AlohaDawg

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 79
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4184
  • Crawlin' back to prosperity
    • View Profile
Re: 17 May 2006 - Google, someone who was nineteen designed your logo.
« Reply #36 on: May 18, 2006, 09:27:32 pm »

I don't understand why all commercial sex sites can't just have the suffix .xxx or something like that. Then people who want porn can find it real easily and those who don't can just ban all .xxx sites. Wouldn't that solve the problem?
Logged

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: 17 May 2006 - Google, someone who was nineteen designed your logo.
« Reply #37 on: May 18, 2006, 09:30:06 pm »

Hmm, I never get porn when I use Google.  I wonder what I am doing wrong right.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: 17 May 2006 - Google, someone who was nineteen designed your logo.
« Reply #38 on: May 19, 2006, 12:13:14 am »

I don't understand why all commercial sex sites can't just have the suffix .xxx or something like that. Then people who want porn can find it real easily and those who don't can just ban all .xxx sites. Wouldn't that solve the problem?

The porn industry doesn't want their market limited so easily like that, so they're ag'in it.

And... oddly enough... religious right-wing folks don't want it either, because they think giving it its own domain legitimizes it.

So when something about restricting porn is opposed by both pornographers AND moralists?

It don't happen.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: 17 May 2006 - Google, someone who was nineteen designed your logo.
« Reply #39 on: May 19, 2006, 01:30:58 am »

The porn industry doesn't want their market limited so easily like that, so they're ag'in it.

And... oddly enough... religious right-wing folks don't want it either, because they think giving it its own domain legitimizes it.

So when something about restricting porn is opposed by both pornographers AND moralists?

It don't happen.

There's also the fact that you can't force all the porn sites that already exists to give up their .com or .net sites just by creating .xxx. You could try, but ICANN is powerless (according to their rules there shouldn't be an aol.com or comcast.com at all) and lots of the sites either are hosted in other countries or would move.

.kids is much more likely. I believe that already has the backing of some major players in the porn world.
Logged

Lister

  • Teodor
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 101
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 892
  • 2, 4, 6, 8, time to transubstantiate!
    • View Profile
Re: 17 May 2006 - Google, someone who was nineteen designed your logo.
« Reply #40 on: May 19, 2006, 02:51:27 am »

There's also the issue of whether .xxx sites could *advertise* on .coms or whatever, as well as an accurate and unambiguous definition of pornography.

I do kind of hate the fact that it wouldn't work, because I really do want a way to protect the childrens without curtailing my rights.  I don't like it when my niece mistypes "americangirl.com" and gets sent to a spyware/adware/porn advertising page.

Come to think of it, though, I don't like it when I mistype something and end up there either.
Logged
Lister.  Not that one, the other one.

Mite

  • Motel 6 Kind of Girl
  • King of the Make-Outs
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 6
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 584
    • View Profile
Re: 17 May 2006 - Google, someone who was nineteen designed your logo.
« Reply #41 on: May 20, 2006, 05:26:46 pm »

As a person who regularly has to order weird shit off the internet for work, I acutally find their ads (and Froogle) very usefull when I need them. And, as others mentioned, they're easily ignorable otherwise.
Logged
I'm no longer a Bankhead teacher, but I'll still take your cookies.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: 17 May 2006 - Google, someone who was nineteen designed your logo.
« Reply #42 on: May 20, 2006, 06:17:37 pm »

oh lord, for a second I thought you meant you often had to buy porn/sex toys online for work.

best/worst job ever!
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

Mite

  • Motel 6 Kind of Girl
  • King of the Make-Outs
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 6
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 584
    • View Profile
Re: 17 May 2006 - Google, someone who was nineteen designed your logo.
« Reply #43 on: May 20, 2006, 06:21:25 pm »

Where did I say I didn't *creepy smile*?
Logged
I'm no longer a Bankhead teacher, but I'll still take your cookies.

misterqueue

  • Sick Fuck
  • VIP
  • R I S O T T O ?
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 25
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 2011
  • I can do anything I want. And so can you.
    • View Profile
    • A Reason for Diseasin'
Re: 17 May 2006 - Google, someone who was nineteen designed your logo.
« Reply #44 on: May 20, 2006, 06:39:02 pm »

Where did I say I didn't *creepy smile*?

You know.. if that's the case I just might have to build a shrine to you... made out of sex toys... and ketchup packets.

Don't ask why the ketchup packets.
Logged
So it's satire, is it?  Well that changes everything!

Lockjaw is serious times.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up