Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

TERRIBLE!

Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 40   Go Down

Author Topic: Dying  (Read 104652 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
Re: Dying
« Reply #180 on: June 14, 2006, 03:12:29 am »

Yeah, the "expensive" part of a nutrition app is the database.  It is just too much for one man to handle.  I will however look into renting/buying rather than building and see if it's just a matter of slapping a front-end and a parser on someone else's hard work.  Not that it'll be quick and easy by any means, but it's sure to be a fuck-load less work than somehow keying in nutrition info for thousands of items.

I guess it could be done as a social app, but dang, that's a lot of stuff.

Choop

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1010
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4260
  • www dot at rick and morty dot com www
    • View Profile
Re: Dying
« Reply #181 on: June 14, 2006, 04:08:18 am »

Logged
Nobody exists on purpose; nobody belongs anywhere; everybody's gonna die. Come watch TV?

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
Re: Dying
« Reply #182 on: June 14, 2006, 04:26:59 am »

Hey Choop!  LTNS.

Thanks for that link.  It looks like it would be easy to update and manage.  Pretty sweet.  And free.  We like free data, paid for by your tax dollars.

This looks promising as well:

http://www.nal.usda.gov/fnic/etext/000011.html

Mite

  • Motel 6 Kind of Girl
  • King of the Make-Outs
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 6
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 584
    • View Profile
Re: Dying
« Reply #183 on: June 14, 2006, 11:22:08 am »

Choop! Nice to see ya!
Logged
I'm no longer a Bankhead teacher, but I'll still take your cookies.

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Dying
« Reply #184 on: June 14, 2006, 01:51:40 pm »

Hi Choop, nice to see 'ya.

Confession time.  Sometimes when I see a post by Choop, I sing to myself Choop, de doop, de do de do de doop ala Salt 'n Pepa.

That's wrong of me, i'm sorry.

~Paul
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Re: Dying
« Reply #185 on: June 14, 2006, 02:20:54 pm »

Wellness update:  Today is my weigh in day, and I have lost another 3 pounds, bringing the overall total to 7 pounds lost.  Also, walking to work today I was just kicking it - the business men had to get the fuck out of my way!  Yeah!  I walk to work so fast that my face is red and I'm all sweaty.  Bleh!

Jough, in regard to shame - no.  Eating (and getting well in general), especially in your case, can not/should not be about shame.   You're fueling your body and nourishing yourself - there's nothing to be ashamed about there, even if you give in to something not so nutritious from time to time. You could put a mirror in front of you every time you eat something, and just look at yourself biting and chewing (basically anyone looks gross if you closely watch them eating) - but why would you want to do that to yourself. Separating the emotional part of you from eating is a lot of work, but also, I think, the most mentally healthy way to go.  If you're at all like me (and most North Americans, I think) you've got some association to food as a security blanket.  I figure the further away from this state of mind I can get, the better. I don't want to turn to a bag of chips when I feel lonely or sad - I've got friends for that, and generally, my friends are calorie free.

Also, for me a diet/tracker based on UPC codes would fall too easily into the trap of eating prepaired/packaged foods, which is what I am totally working to avoid at all costs.  The higher levels of processing, artificial colours and flavours, sodium, and cost, along with lower levels of fiber and nutrients are things I am not in to.
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
Re: Dying
« Reply #186 on: June 14, 2006, 03:00:54 pm »

Yeah, but it's already pretty easy to keep track of un-packaged foods in a nutrition database.

Anyway, regarding shame... fat people pretty much can never eat in public without thin people looking at them such as "Oh look, the fat guy is eating, quelle surprise."  I could be eating a baby carrot, and it could have been the only thing I had eaten in two days, but still, I feel their eyes judging me.

I'm really not as neurotic as I sound in print, I swear.

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Re: Dying
« Reply #187 on: June 14, 2006, 03:38:28 pm »

Yes, jough, everyone is looking at you, in fact I am looking at you right now.  And so is Mr Q, and he's also fondling himself, but it's just better not to ask.

Okay, yeah, I know what you mean.  I've definitely felt like people are looking at me and judging me and what I'm eating - especially in public.  I used to be so embarrassed to order certain things in drive throughs or take outs that I would intentionally and loudly ask for two forks or two drinks so that the person I was ordering from and everyone around me would think I was ordering for two people.  Then I'd go hide in my car somewhere and eat it all alone.  That's how embarrassed I was. And while I don't doubt a few people would do a double take to see what I was eating and judge me, especially if I was out-of-controle-binging on something really bad for me, I also realize that the shame itself was something coming from inside me.  It's your choice to let other people make you feel small or not.  Only you controle how you feel.  Basically, I chose to frame it that I am working toward positive change.  Yeah right now I'm not in my best body, but that's a long time coming, so I'm not going to feel bad that I'm not there yet, and the victories between then and now are things that need to be celebrated too.   Basically what I'm saying is this:  Remember, you're doing good kid - keep it up! (or basically "Fuck you, I'm Rocking out.")
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

misterqueue

  • Sick Fuck
  • VIP
  • R I S O T T O ?
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 25
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 2011
  • I can do anything I want. And so can you.
    • View Profile
    • A Reason for Diseasin'
Re: Dying
« Reply #188 on: June 14, 2006, 03:46:04 pm »

Yes, jough, everyone is looking at you, in fact I am looking at you right now.  And so is Mr Q, and he's also fondling himself, but it's just better not to ask.

Wait that was jough I was looking at?  Well fuck!  I at least hope it really was me I was fondling... sure felt like me.
Logged
So it's satire, is it?  Well that changes everything!

Lockjaw is serious times.

Drygioni

  • formerly Judy
  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 194
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1796
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK
Re: Dying
« Reply #189 on: June 14, 2006, 06:11:58 pm »

Wait that was jough I was looking at?  Well fuck!  I at least hope it really was me I was fondling... sure felt like me.

He Always Checks For Lumps
Logged
I am sorry for my behaviour last night.

misterqueue

  • Sick Fuck
  • VIP
  • R I S O T T O ?
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 25
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 2011
  • I can do anything I want. And so can you.
    • View Profile
    • A Reason for Diseasin'
Re: Dying
« Reply #190 on: June 14, 2006, 06:14:32 pm »

He Always Checks For Lumps

Isn't that the subtitle of the new Harry Potter book.  "Harry Potter and the Testicular Concerns"


Maybe that was fanfic... they both sound the same to me anyway.
Logged
So it's satire, is it?  Well that changes everything!

Lockjaw is serious times.

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Re: Dying
« Reply #191 on: June 15, 2006, 02:51:10 am »

Did you know that even though they've lost all meaning, I still give cans out?  It's true.  Huzzah!
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

misterqueue

  • Sick Fuck
  • VIP
  • R I S O T T O ?
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 25
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 2011
  • I can do anything I want. And so can you.
    • View Profile
    • A Reason for Diseasin'
Re: Dying
« Reply #192 on: June 15, 2006, 03:07:54 am »

I <3 Smells!
Logged
So it's satire, is it?  Well that changes everything!

Lockjaw is serious times.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Dying
« Reply #193 on: June 15, 2006, 04:59:21 am »

I have recently realized that I have not even thought about cans in about a month.

so, everyone gets cans!
EVERYONE GETS A CAN!
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
Re: Dying
« Reply #194 on: June 15, 2006, 01:56:20 pm »

I was thinking that maybe on the upcoming board anniversary we could reset everyone's cans to zero, sorta like erasing Original Sin and giving everyone a clean slate.

The entire membership would then be in a perfect state of grace, an absolute balance in the TOUAMB universe.  Does one dare disturb that balance?  What are the ramifications of giving or taking a can when everyone is equal?
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 40   Go Up