Jough: crispy like fried chicken skin? Do you have a BBQ? If so, make beer butt chicken with a nice rub on the skin. If you are specifically craving crispy + meat this will likely be very satisfying for you. Even though chicken skin is pretty fatty, in the case of beer butt chicken, at least you're letting a lot of the excess fat drip off, and not putting the meat anywhere near a deep fryer, yet creating the crisp + meaty combo. I actually had that last night, and it was very nice. I don't have the achewood cookbook, so I went with my own recipe, but it was lovely. Also, I bought a set of beer butt chicken stands, which are everywhere this summer. If you want the recipe, let me know, it's really easy.
As for me, I have having a different quandary:
Pro: In regard to cravings: I have none. Seems the medication I started taking four weeks ago makes me totally disinterested in food, which is a drastic 180 from me a month ago, where I would see something or hear vague mention of it, and then I would want it in an obsessive way. This is a good thing. I do get hungry, but the hunger is never tied to some specific craving, so making healthy choices has been very easy. The med's are for getting me into deep sleep, but since they alter my brain chemistry, they have also effected my entire psychology in subtle ways, and I count the loss of cravings as a big bonus.
Con: I have been having horrific night terrors where I awake mid-scream, often having thrown myself out of bed, three times being convinced that someone is looming over the bed, getting ready to strangle me. In the month that I have been on the med's, this has happened three times, including last night, plus another night terror involving the wall behind our bed crumbling, and me screaming at my SO from the foot of the bed to get up before he's crushed by the collapsing wall. And I don't just wake with a start, I awake as I hit the floor with my back/tailbone (ouch) having thrown myself out of bed, and always, always screaming at the top of my lungs. I know that I am actually screaming both because I wake my SO up (who sleeps like the dead) and because my throat is raw and sore the next day. In my dream state, my eyes are already open when I "awake," so there is a short period where I'm pretty confused and question whether my dream was real or not. It's been fairly horrific, and I've been drenched in sweat with my heart pounding very time, yet, every night, I've basically calmed myself down and gone back to sleep, though I'm starting to be a bit paranoid about hitting the hay, and had one night after the most vivid of the terrors, where I fought hard against going to sleep in fear I would have the dream again. My theory of the terrors is that I am in deep sleep with my eyes open, and my dreaming brain imposes the image of someone in the room to me, yet it also recognizes my real surroundings, making for a confused state combining dream with reality, and basically making for some very realistic, and terrifying dreams.
I'm due back at the doctors for follow-up next week, so I'll discuss it with him. I'm not too sure what to think - in a way, I wonder if it's possible that since I've gone so long without getting to the stage of deep sleep, that now that I am getting there, my brain is over active in that state either because of the med's or because it's making up for lost time. Does the brain get "hungry" for dreaming? Is my brain now dream-binging like a beggar at the feast? From the quality of rest and energy level I've been experiencing, all I can say is that overall the med's seem to be helping in a very significant way, yet these nightmares are the worst I've ever had in my life.
(edit: but say, some of you thing fear is the road to slimness... But I don't want to be skinny and dead of a heart attack via Freddy Kruger, just alive and fit, via good sleep)