Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood Sssshhh...I'm discovering Sleater-Kinney. This is a special time in a boy's life.

Pages: 1 ... 30 31 [32] 33 34 ... 40   Go Down

Author Topic: Dying  (Read 104773 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Dying
« Reply #465 on: July 16, 2006, 03:20:52 am »

so, Paul, your voice is not how I imagined it. however, now whenever I try to imagine your voice, I imagine the real voice. So, there goes that.

The fellow asking you "do you know your song?" made me think of a small child being told to recite something. Adorable.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

misterqueue

  • Sick Fuck
  • VIP
  • R I S O T T O ?
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 25
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 2011
  • I can do anything I want. And so can you.
    • View Profile
    • A Reason for Diseasin'
Re: Dying
« Reply #466 on: July 16, 2006, 03:54:55 am »

Daaaaamn... I may have to do a video thing... sometime.  That sounds like fun.  But first.. mixdiscs must be finalized.
Logged
So it's satire, is it?  Well that changes everything!

Lockjaw is serious times.

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Re: Dying
« Reply #467 on: July 16, 2006, 04:03:16 pm »

Fun Fact: Knowing that I weigh myself every Monday seems to help enforce better behavior on the weekends.
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

V-Adore

  • Guest
Re: Dying
« Reply #468 on: July 16, 2006, 08:57:59 pm »

That... is not really the voice I imagined for Paul, no. Nonetheless, hot damn. Is this the dawn of a new Paul Multimedia Age, where we will start to receive videos about your life? How long until Virtual Paulality hits the board?
Logged

JorgeFabregas

  • roast beef (the middle cat)
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 93
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1227
  • I was impressed.
    • View Profile
Re: Dying
« Reply #469 on: July 16, 2006, 10:18:27 pm »

It's not so much SCIENCE! as it is skepticism based in curmudgeonry (I invented a word!).  I do think there is plausible scientific evidence to support this conclusion, but I can't be bothered to do the minimal research involved.  I'm at the beach, damnit!  My point is that while red wine may very well have some beneficial properties related to cardiovascular health, there are better ways to stave off heart disease than drinking the alcohol in question.
Heart health is cumulative/additive/whatever, so it's not so it's really a question of whether you should or you shouldn't, rather than whether there are better things. If both A and B are good for the heart (A being even better for the heart than B) , you should probably do A and B Research seems to indicate that one serving of alcohol per day of any sort is heart-healthy (not an average/mean of one per day, people), because it's a vasodilator. Once you go to or beyond 3 drinks in a day, however, the ill-effects outweigh the benefits. Wine has the added benefits of antioxidants from grapes, yada yada. A shot of gin, vodka, or whatever is around 60 calories. Wine is 2-3 times that depending on the portion.

Personally, with a health goal of weight loss, I would stay away from recommending daily wine. However, if you really enjoy it as part of a daily ritual there's a lot of merit in that. A militant position either way seems kind of silly.
Logged
And we know who we should love. But we're never certain how.

JorgeFabregas

  • roast beef (the middle cat)
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 93
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1227
  • I was impressed.
    • View Profile
Re: Dying
« Reply #470 on: July 16, 2006, 10:25:10 pm »

Also, does anyone have a good web resource for stretching?  I'm pretty sure I'm not doing enough of it, but I'm never sure about the proper technique.  (I tried yoga, but with all my joint issues, I wasn't able to do any of the moves.)
Jogging itself stretches out your legs. Are you stretching to avoid activity-related injury or for some other health benefit? If the former, I've read that stretching helps one focus on the task at hand (say, stretching before a run helps you focus on running), but doesn't reallly help prevent injury.
Logged
And we know who we should love. But we're never certain how.

slink

  • Mod Squad
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 47
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3051
  • Слінк Ядранко
    • View Profile
    • OMD on MySpace
Re: Dying
« Reply #471 on: July 16, 2006, 11:05:07 pm »

Jogging itself stretches out your legs.

It is however really, really bad for your knees, particularly on hard surfaces.
Logged
FOOD CHAIN! GET USED TO IT!

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Re: Dying
« Reply #472 on: July 16, 2006, 11:24:09 pm »

I guess the reason I want to stretch is because of my overall stiffness and inflexiblity.  And also because my wellness plan is to basically follow the Canada Food and Fitness Guide for Healthy Living, which lists two "units" of stretching per week as part of its over all recommendations, and this is the one area of the guide that I am not currently fufilling in any way.
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

slink

  • Mod Squad
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 47
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3051
  • Слінк Ядранко
    • View Profile
    • OMD on MySpace
Re: Dying
« Reply #473 on: July 17, 2006, 12:39:10 am »

One thing I've picked up in the last few days is that the best way to help bad joints, is to have the muscle strength around them to support them in movement better. The chondromalacia I suffer in my knee, that is the cartilage softening when the joint moves, can apparently only be helped by working out the leg muscles to support the joint. Alas, it's working out the leg muscles that causes the cartilage to fuck*ng soften in the first place...
But so it's definitely worth finding a way to excercise and build up the muscles around the joints as much as possible. From what I can tell from the internets, this is true of arthritis as well, although I can see that it might be as much a catch-twentytwo as my knee situation (both of which, my knees that is, are starting to really suffer from my working out).
As ever, aside from your doctor maybe having an idea of the excercises that would be best, it's mostly a case of working up very gradually so as to never push past what the muscles are acheiving in the support of the joints. Of course, easier said than done!
Logged
FOOD CHAIN! GET USED TO IT!

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Re: Dying
« Reply #474 on: July 17, 2006, 01:44:04 pm »

Agreed slink.  I'm very careful with my weight lifting, but I make sure to do it, and monitor my progress.  My doctor advice in this regard is the same advice in regard to everything outside the medical aspects of my care: Do it moderately.

This morning was my weigh in, and huzzah, I lost that one pound I was hoping to, and another one to boot.  At this point, it appears that I have lost 15 pounds so far.  It's weird, cause I really don't feel very different (apart from a few of my clothes getting looser that is).  Apparently this is equivalent to 45 pounds of impact off each knee.  I don't know how this equation works, but the arthritis Canada site equates each pound of weight loss with a x3 reduction in impact on the joints.  They explained it, but I don't really get it.  Anyway... This is good news!  I think I'll celebrate by buying myself a nice trashy magazine or something!

I was at the pet store yestday, watching miniature dachshund puppies squirm in a pile, when I was overtaken by horrific shooting pains in my right hip.  The pain was so sharp and hard that my eyes teared up and I yelped out loud.  I was surrounded by other people, who just ignored me, and though there was nothing they could have done (except get me a chair!  or be kind!), I was really disgusted that everyone just ignored me as I staggered to lean against the nearest wall.  Fuck you pet store patrons.  Fuck.  You.   One day will one of my legs just give way?  Will I be lying there, people stepping over me, helpless?  Yet another reason to take immaculate care of myself: strangers do not give a fuck.
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

Hobot

  • DISK ONE OF SIX
  • Teodor
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 21
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 861
  • Appearing in a tortilla near you.
    • View Profile
    • Your music is inadequate.
Re: Dying
« Reply #475 on: July 17, 2006, 01:50:29 pm »

Agreed slink.  I'm very careful with my weight lifting, but I make sure to do it, and monitor my progress.  My doctor advice in this regard is the same advice in regard to everything outside the medical aspects of my care: Do it moderately.

This morning was my weigh in, and huzzah, I lost that one pound I was hoping to, and another one to boot.  At this point, it appears that I have lost 15 pounds so far.  It's weird, cause I really don't feel very different (apart from a few of my clothes getting looser that is).  Apparently this is equivalent to 45 pounds of impact off each knee.  I don't know how this equation works, but the arthritis Canada site equates each pound of weight loss with a x3 reduction in impact on the joints.  They explained it, but I don't really get it.  Anyway... This is good news!  I think I'll celebrate by buying myself a nice trashy magazine or something!

I was at the pet store yestday, watching miniature dachshund puppies squirm in a pile, when I was overtaken by horrific shooting pains in my right hip.  The pain was so sharp and hard that my eyes teared up and I yelped out loud.  I was surrounded by other people, who just ignored me, and though there was nothing they could have done (except get me a chair!  or be kind!), I was really disgusted that everyone just ignored me as I staggered to lean against the nearest wall.  Fuck you pet store patrons.  Fuck.  You.   One day will one of my legs just give way?  Will I be lying there, people stepping over me, helpless?  Yet another reason to take immaculate care of myself: strangers do not give a fuck.

Congratulations on the weight loss!  I am sorry to hear, however, about the lack of empathy from strangers.  I was under the impression that Canadians are a helpful and considerate lot.
Logged
You had me at "I dig both ladies and fellows."

slink

  • Mod Squad
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 47
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3051
  • Слінк Ядранко
    • View Profile
    • OMD on MySpace
Re: Dying
« Reply #476 on: July 17, 2006, 02:19:31 pm »

Congratulations on the weight loss!  I am sorry to hear, however, about the lack of empathy from strangers.  I was under the impression that Canadians are a helpful and considerate lot.

I guess people are people. I've always hated people...
Congrats though, Mel. I kinda get the whole 45lbs thing. In as much as if I were to question it I'd have to spend 5 months learning to understand it, like torque steer.

All 'cause most of the things I was told left out the most important peice of information goddamnit!
Logged
FOOD CHAIN! GET USED TO IT!

misterqueue

  • Sick Fuck
  • VIP
  • R I S O T T O ?
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 25
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 2011
  • I can do anything I want. And so can you.
    • View Profile
    • A Reason for Diseasin'
Re: Dying
« Reply #477 on: July 17, 2006, 02:26:16 pm »

Huzzah Smells!  That is a lot of weight.  Fuck those people man... just... just fuck the hell out of em.


Oh.. I didn't mean... I mean.. not like that, but you know.
Logged
So it's satire, is it?  Well that changes everything!

Lockjaw is serious times.

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Re: Dying
« Reply #478 on: July 17, 2006, 02:29:28 pm »

Huzzah Smells!  That is a lot of weight.  Fuck those people man... just... just fuck the hell out of em.


Oh.. I didn't mean... I mean.. not like that, but you know.

Oh, man, I totally read the first half of your post and ran out and had an orgy at the pet store.  I will not go into detail here, as anything more specific in detail would sully us all.

Also, in boob string news, I checked yesterday, and they are the exact same size - no changes here.
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

misterqueue

  • Sick Fuck
  • VIP
  • R I S O T T O ?
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 25
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 2011
  • I can do anything I want. And so can you.
    • View Profile
    • A Reason for Diseasin'
Re: Dying
« Reply #479 on: July 17, 2006, 02:32:44 pm »

Oh, man, I totally read the first half of your post and ran out and had an orgy at the pet store.  I will not go into detail here, as anything more specific in detail would sully us all.

Also, in boob string news, I checked yesterday, and they are the exact same size - no changes here.

That is what I get for not being more specific.  I am the worst advice columnist ever!

I'm certain your boob loving SO was pleased with the latter result indeed.
Logged
So it's satire, is it?  Well that changes everything!

Lockjaw is serious times.
Pages: 1 ... 30 31 [32] 33 34 ... 40   Go Up