Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

RT@achewood Surprising fact: wearing clothes burns 12 more calories per day than nudity.

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: First original painting auction of 2006 goes up this afternoon!  (Read 4525 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Drygioni

  • formerly Judy
  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 194
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1796
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK

We'll probably need a thread for this sometime or other, and after a day of exams it's about time I negated all that bad karma caused by my terrible handwriting. Poor markers won't know what means what. So yeah, I'll start this thread to make it all better.

I'm not sure exactly when they're going up, but until then is anybody planning on procuring any art from Herr Onstad? Has anybody bought any before? What sort of prices have they gone for before?
Logged
I am sorry for my behaviour last night.

robot_god

  • roast beef (the middle cat)
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 74
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1195
  • Oh my gosh, dude.
    • View Profile
    • ALP Myspace Site
Re: First original painting auction of 2006 goes up this afternoon!
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2006, 04:35:24 pm »

I was only reading Achewood for the last two, but I wasn't on the board, then.  I think they went somewhere between $300-400 US.
Logged
ACHIEVE

Formica

  • Showbiz
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 8
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 205
    • View Profile
Re: First original painting auction of 2006 goes up this afternoon!
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2006, 10:30:20 pm »

It's up.

First impression: Onstad's non-computer style is getting more defined. Phillipe is realized more distinctly and cleanly. I like it.
Logged

Mite

  • Motel 6 Kind of Girl
  • King of the Make-Outs
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 6
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 584
    • View Profile
Re: First original painting auction of 2006 goes up this afternoon!
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2006, 11:28:30 pm »

I like that a lot. However, I'm cheap. I might someday buy a print of a strip, but I can't really imagine ever buying original artwork.

Judy - I too have very poor handwriting. Have you tried nice pens (felt tips, uniballs, etc)? I write like a small child with a ball point, but I see marked improvement with a quality pen.
Logged
I'm no longer a Bankhead teacher, but I'll still take your cookies.

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: First original painting auction of 2006 goes up this afternoon!
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2006, 11:45:29 pm »

I am weirded out by how realistic Phillipe's ##### look.

I will regret for all eternity that I didn't bid on the painting of Roast Beef floating through the air in his nightshirt.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: First original painting auction of 2006 goes up this afternoon!
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2006, 12:02:09 am »

yeah, nice pens make your handwriting hell of nicer.

I have a fountain pen that I whip out sometimes (ie: since I got it 2 weeks ago) and it makes mine much more flowy.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

robot_god

  • roast beef (the middle cat)
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 74
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1195
  • Oh my gosh, dude.
    • View Profile
    • ALP Myspace Site
Re: First original painting auction of 2006 goes up this afternoon!
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2006, 12:50:16 am »

My handwriting gets worse every day.  It's because of school.  The phenomenon occurred, amount of medical knowledge is directly proportional to handwriting sloppiness.  That's probably a good thing because I have to get used to reading sloppy writing and not producing it.

My signature used to actually have letters in it and was consistant, but now it's just random lines and it looks completely different every time.
Logged
ACHIEVE

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Re: First original painting auction of 2006 goes up this afternoon!
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2006, 03:16:43 am »

My writing is so illegible.  Actually, I don't write, I print.  I gave up cursive shortly after it was no longer mandatory in school.  But my printing is illlegible to anyone but me.  Also, since I sign numerous contracts almost everyday, my signature is fascinating - I've had several people comment on how it looks like and alien language or something.  It used to look normal, but it evolved into this series of reflex-based scribbles.  Now if I actually think while making my signature, it looks nothing like my actual signature.  I had to re-do my passport forms three times because I kept trying to hard. 

Also, I think the painting is shit.   Which is odd, because I love Phillipe.  But his jodhpurs don't match to him - he's basic and linear, and the jodhpurs have too much shading in comparison, especially in contrast with the simplistic/stylized background.  All my attention is drawn to the jodhpurs, in a bad way, when I really should be looking at the expression on Phillipe's face.
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: First original painting auction of 2006 goes up this afternoon!
« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2006, 03:21:05 am »

jodhpurs.  I love that word.  Jodhpurs, jodhpurs, jodhpurs.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

Doc

  • Growing Cucumbers of Impressive Dimensions
  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1408
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5017
  • an emergency backup pug
    • View Profile
Re: First original painting auction of 2006 goes up this afternoon!
« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2006, 04:10:56 am »

The Jodhpurs (a word which has now officially lost all meaning to me thanks to you two) actually kind of make it for me, they give him a slight three dimensional look, and it's not that bad that attention is drawn to them, that's where the action is when you're dancing (or stamping as he may be, it's hard to tell).
Logged
Inev: 'A lot of things are ridiculous if you think about them long enough, you know?'

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: First original painting auction of 2006 goes up this afternoon!
« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2006, 12:36:03 pm »

All my attention is drawn to the jodhpurs, in a bad way, when I really should be looking at the expression on Phillipe's face.

Actually, now I am thinking that it is all of a piece: Philippe's expression is the joy of looking at his new trousers which he loves.  Or is it the shoes?
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

Drygioni

  • formerly Judy
  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 194
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1796
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK
Re: First original painting auction of 2006 goes up this afternoon!
« Reply #11 on: June 06, 2006, 03:17:50 pm »

I love that painting. I cannot afford it.

Mite - I use Uniballs all the time, and as my dear History teacher put it 'it looks like a spider on crack'. I have tried every pen ever and it is still illegible to my own mother. Thank Byrne that I can type messages to you; people have gone insane trying to decipher my writing.

Has anyone here bid or is it good etiquette to keep bids secret? I have never bid.

EDIT: It's also interesting seeing what Onstad (unless someone has put it on eBay for him) bids on. Last purchase: a glorified dog bowl.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2006, 03:20:53 pm by JudyIsADickSlap »
Logged
I am sorry for my behaviour last night.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: First original painting auction of 2006 goes up this afternoon!
« Reply #12 on: June 06, 2006, 03:21:31 pm »

do you have access to a scanner? I think we all might have to have a bad-handwriting-off.

but maybe we'd have to use the same kind of pen, write the same test sentence, do both a slow/neat version and a fast/normal version...
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: First original painting auction of 2006 goes up this afternoon!
« Reply #13 on: June 06, 2006, 04:04:47 pm »

Last purchase: a glorified dog bowl.

Oh, that is a bad dog bowl that lets you not think about your poor dog even to feed it.  You used to love that dog, Mr. Onstad.

Also it must be like a torture device.  See that pug in one of the pictures?  That pug spent the whole day staring at that bowl, unable to move in case the next minute was the one when it popped open.  I am positive of this.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

Drygioni

  • formerly Judy
  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 194
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1796
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK
Re: First original painting auction of 2006 goes up this afternoon!
« Reply #14 on: June 06, 2006, 04:07:39 pm »

Oh, that is a bad dog bowl that lets you not think about your poor dog even to feed it.  You used to love that dog, Mr. Onstad.

Also it must be like a torture device.  See that pug in one of the pictures?  That pug spent the whole day staring at that bowl, unable to move in case the next minute was the one when it popped open.  I am positive of this.

Did it yelp pitifully when the lid finally popped open? Yes, it did.
Logged
I am sorry for my behaviour last night.
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up