Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Have some dignity.

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Nothing is more old-school than baking your own damn staff of life! June 9 2006  (Read 8093 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

nuero

  • Chucklebot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 4
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 105
    • View Profile

I liked this one. Guess it's not just another GOF, jerks.

http://achewood.com/index.php?date=06092006
Logged

pubdoggy

  • YOUR OLD FRIEND BLISTER
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 89
  • R. Smuckles publicity shot c. 2002
    • View Profile
    • Simon Whitehead Photography

"How long did you knead it for? A thousand minutes? A million?"

Top effing drawer
Logged
Satori must be something just the same...

cellardoor

  • Todd
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 2
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 282
    • View Profile

There's something wrong with the layout of panel 3.
It vexes me so.
Quality strip though, especially mega-serious/angry Ray.
Logged

DanSC

  • YOUR OLD FRIEND BLISTER
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 8
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 79
    • View Profile

I'm really surprised that Teodor would suffer such a culinary breakdown, even under stressful conditions. He is, after all, a veteran of the Risotto Wars.
Logged
"If you can't have fun playin' with a toy truck, then it's time to reevaluate your life."

Lister

  • Teodor
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 101
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 892
  • 2, 4, 6, 8, time to transubstantiate!
    • View Profile

I am curious to know what Vlad's bread looked like, and also why he was wearing a leotard.

I liked this strip a-ok.  I want to go make bread right now, except it is 3 AM and my oven sets off the smoke alarm when it is opened even though it is clean.

Also: new avatar.
Logged
Lister.  Not that one, the other one.

ryanpeq

  • Scrambles the Dog
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 3
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 17
    • View Profile

There's something wrong with the layout of panel 3.
It vexes me so.
Quality strip though, especially mega-serious/angry Ray.
pat is both in front of and behind lyle
Logged

dejavroom

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • -=Ray=-
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 165
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1362
  • confused and angry
    • View Profile

"A dude who can walk into any kitchen in the world and make bread is COMPLETELY RAW"

Couldn't agree more. I wasted my life acquiring what are basically the inanest set of personal assets ever.

Also the fact that they all came dressed in what they thought would be the most appropriate apparel for their idea of what a BadAss Game would be like (Lyle didn't change, though; Lyle is ALWAYS READY)...
Logged
The absurdity is veiled by the poetic charm with which the poet invests it.

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile

I am quite tickled.  I will say nothing about you messageboard posters of little faith.

Poor Teodor, his complete failure is hitting him hard.  Also, according to Google Onstad is not making up 'malloreddus.'  Education.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives

I'm really surprised that Teodor would suffer such a culinary breakdown, even under stressful conditions. He is, after all, a veteran of the Risotto Wars.

Look at the n00b, breaking out message board references from two years ago.  Nicely played young man.  Have some tiny cans of Dr Pepper.

Also: new avatar.

Since I associate you people with your avatars, you'll have to remind me who you are again.  The milkman guy, right?

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9819
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile

I'm really surprised that Teodor would suffer such a culinary breakdown, even under stressful conditions. He is, after all, a veteran of the Risotto Wars.

Yeah but Teodor seems to go for overly fancy and expensive ingredients and methods. Just baking a simple loaf of white bread is now completely foreign to him. He probably blames the bleached flour which should have been organic bread flour.

In July's storyline we see Vlad join the cast of The Next Ultimate Fighter. Watch him try to punch Ken Shamrock so hard that his heart explodes.
Logged

cellardoor

  • Todd
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 2
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 282
    • View Profile

Panel 3 is like looking at a god-damned Escher painting.
Logged

misterqueue

  • Sick Fuck
  • VIP
  • R I S O T T O ?
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 25
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 2011
  • I can do anything I want. And so can you.
    • View Profile
    • A Reason for Diseasin'

Oh Lyle, you look so very sad.

Mr. Bear at first looked as though he was dressed to be part of some barbershop quartet.  Then I realized it's just his apron over his suit.  (Hey it's early and I was up late last night.  I forgive me.)

I baked my own bread just last week.  Hell yeah I'm totally raw!
Logged
So it's satire, is it?  Well that changes everything!

Lockjaw is serious times.

Hobot

  • DISK ONE OF SIX
  • Teodor
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 21
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 861
  • Appearing in a tortilla near you.
    • View Profile
    • Your music is inadequate.

Cornelius is totally from the streets.  Maybe even tha streetz.

This strip has Vlad, therefore I am appeased.
Logged
You had me at "I dig both ladies and fellows."

Herr Currywurst

  • Scrambles the Dog
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 0
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 5
    • View Profile

I'm really surprised that Teodor would suffer such a culinary breakdown, even under stressful conditions. He is, after all, a veteran of the Risotto Wars.

They didn't have any sugar to proof the yeast.  Teodor would try desperately to make it work, which is why he overkneaded.  Cornelius understood the limits of his raw materials and changed the rules to suit what he had. 

    Two monks were watching a flag flapping in the wind. One said to the other, "The flag is moving."
    The other replied, "The wind is moving."
    Huineng overheard this. He said, "Not the flag, not the wind; mind is moving."
Logged
Bennett: Look, it's a debate about whether you think marriage is between a man and a women.

Stewart: I disagree, I think it's a debate about whether you think gay people are part of the human condition or just a random fetish.

- TDS, 6 June 2006

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile

They shouldn't need sugar to proof the yeast, but I think this points to Teodor's problem - without access to stone-ground wheat flour, special filtered spring water, yeast grown from an ancient traditional farmhouse strain, and pink sea salt, he's helpless.  The guy couldn't make a simple grilled cheese sandwich to save his life.  He has fallen down the slippery slope of Modern Foodieness and can't get up.  He needs an intervention in which he is kidnapped and fed frozen dinners and iceberg lettuce salads, after which he will be allowed to gradually work his way back to some kind of happy medium.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up