Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood There are only five Wodehouse books on my special Wodehouse shelf?! As Jeeves himself might ask, "Where in the fuck are the rest of them."

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: 14 June 2006 -- Vlad, you make prison sound like a man-rape conga line.  (Read 14786 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

misterqueue

  • Sick Fuck
  • VIP
  • R I S O T T O ?
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 25
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 2011
  • I can do anything I want. And so can you.
    • View Profile
    • A Reason for Diseasin'

The hell, I ain't answering this.

~Paul

Oh I think it's been answered in abundance.  I think womby's probably crying in a corner and trying to rock herself to sleep at this point.
Logged
So it's satire, is it?  Well that changes everything!

Lockjaw is serious times.

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile

Actually mostly I am just terribly cross at what a stupid thing that is to call that thing.  What is wrong with our culture that that is the best we can do?
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

misterqueue

  • Sick Fuck
  • VIP
  • R I S O T T O ?
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 25
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 2011
  • I can do anything I want. And so can you.
    • View Profile
    • A Reason for Diseasin'

Actually mostly I am just terribly cross at what a stupid thing that is to call that thing.  What is wrong with our culture that that is the best we can do?

IIRC it originated in prison itself, and prisoners, despite giving us the lovely works "shank" and "shiv", aren't really known for their perspicacity.

Logged
So it's satire, is it?  Well that changes everything!

Lockjaw is serious times.

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives

While it is cute that you are trying out a new word, Q, you didn't quite use it right.  I mean, naming things doesn't exactly require insight or wisdom.

misterqueue

  • Sick Fuck
  • VIP
  • R I S O T T O ?
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 25
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 2011
  • I can do anything I want. And so can you.
    • View Profile
    • A Reason for Diseasin'

While it is cute that you are trying out a new word, Q, you didn't quite use it right.  I mean, naming things doesn't exactly require insight or wisdom.

New word my ass jough.  EDUCATION MOTHERFUCKER

Utilized in this case to mean insightful, as in "boy that word does not provide insight into said action at all".  I also, if you must know my English trickery, found the double-meaning of penetration to be amusing.

Don't even try and step up kidd.
Logged
So it's satire, is it?  Well that changes everything!

Lockjaw is serious times.

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives

I wasn't suggesting that the word itself was new, only new to you, Q.

And again, one's coinage of a prison term wouldn't really be insightful or not insightful.  Nomenclature isn't really a matter of insight, unless it's onomatopoeic or something.

misterqueue

  • Sick Fuck
  • VIP
  • R I S O T T O ?
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 25
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 2011
  • I can do anything I want. And so can you.
    • View Profile
    • A Reason for Diseasin'

I wasn't suggesting that the word itself was new, only new to you, Q.

And again, one's coinage of a prison term wouldn't really be insightful or not insightful.  Nomenclature isn't really a matter of insight, unless it's onomatopoeic or something.

Womby was suggesting that it was a bad term for the action, and I was countering with the fact that they aren't the most insightful hence any term coined therein is going to, by its very nature, be articulate of the concept.

So no, it's not new to me at all.

I was going to say "Way to overanalyze all the funny out of this" but then I realized you'd just counter with "You're assuming it was funny to begin with" and everyone would die inside just a little more.

Man, who pissed in your proverbial cornflakes this morning?  Oh right... I did..sorry about that..
« Last Edit: June 14, 2006, 06:55:24 pm by misterqueue »
Logged
So it's satire, is it?  Well that changes everything!

Lockjaw is serious times.

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas

The use of language in this strip has brought me to the realization that... if the mistake of attempting to remake "Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid" is ever made, the only way to redeem it in any way would be to allow Mr. Onstad the final pass at the dialogue before filming. Even when the cores of the jokes are only okay, the range and idiocincracies of the dialogue styles always kick my ass.

C'est awesomfique.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun

yeah, I was answering my own question. sorry.

the other day, a nice lady asked me (OUT OF THE BLUE) what a "gang-bang" was.

that was fun.

"oh, you mean, like a line?"

"no. like... at the same time."

"but.. only one can..."

"multiple. orifices. simultaneous."

"oh... OHH...."
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

melack

  • Philippe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 70
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 940
  • Cheer up, hamburger.
    • View Profile
    • Worst Songs, Played on Ugliest Guitars

I would just like to point out this example from our good friends at Urban Dictionary.

Quote
2. I ate five black assholes tonight. These are truly the salad days.

These people do a great service to humanity with their work. I'd just like to mention that.

colmore

  • Lie Bot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 56
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 379
  • Sorry Mom, Sorry Dad, Sorry College
    • View Profile

I'm going to dispute the idea that the uneducated criminal underclass aren't a good source of neologisms.

Item A: The Blues.

"Tossing Salad" is the exception that proves the rule.  And frankly I like the disparity between the sound of the term and the meaning.  It somehow works much better than something more direct and vulgar.  And as to the need of insight to create good new language: compare Bill Shakespeare to the tard that came up with "metrosexual." 
Logged
In Capitalist America, bank robs you!

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun

wow.

so, um, tossing salad did not mean the sexual act that I thought it did. Hm.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

misterqueue

  • Sick Fuck
  • VIP
  • R I S O T T O ?
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 25
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 2011
  • I can do anything I want. And so can you.
    • View Profile
    • A Reason for Diseasin'

I'm going to dispute the idea that the uneducated criminal underclass aren't a good source of neologisms.

Item A: The Blues.

"Tossing Salad" is the exception that proves the rule.  And frankly I like the disparity between the sound of the term and the meaning.  It somehow works much better than something more direct and vulgar.  And as to the need of insight to create good new language: compare Bill Shakespeare to the tard that came up with "metrosexual." 

Yeah well Bill came up with "Making the beast with two backs"

So... he must have spent time in prison himself.
Logged
So it's satire, is it?  Well that changes everything!

Lockjaw is serious times.

Carlos del Vaca

  • The Mayor
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1316
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5007
  • Greetings from Banana Town
    • View Profile
    • bigfool.com

the other day, a nice lady asked me (OUT OF THE BLUE) what a "gang-bang" was.

For some reason or other, the other day Mrs. del Vaca asked "What exactly is a 'glory hole?'"
Logged
My friends call me the Mayor.
My enemies don't call me anything.  'Cuz they're all dead.

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives

So did you tell her... or show her?
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Up