Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood My bicycle is parked in the living room. A tub of tartar sauce sits open on the counter. Truly, the evidence of a wife being away too long.

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Grocery Store Delivery  (Read 6562 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Grocery Store Delivery
« Reply #15 on: June 16, 2006, 03:40:06 pm »

Huh. Whenever I go to the grocery store everybody has headphones on and can't really be conversed with. Well not the staff, but they're usually busy.

What you have to understand about Smells is that she has the Good Story Karma.  Some people have it and some don't.  The ones that do, attract interesting experiences to them whereever they are.  When you or I go to the store, everyone is wearing headphones, but when she goes, old ladies start conversing with her and then who knows what will happen next. We just have to resign ourselves to our fate and be glad we at least get to hear the stories.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

misterqueue

  • Sick Fuck
  • VIP
  • R I S O T T O ?
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 25
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 2011
  • I can do anything I want. And so can you.
    • View Profile
    • A Reason for Diseasin'
Re: Grocery Store Delivery
« Reply #16 on: June 16, 2006, 03:41:38 pm »

What you have to understand about Smells is that she has the Good Story Karma.  Some people have it and some don't.  The ones that do, attract interesting experiences to them whereever they are.  When you or I go to the store, everyone is wearing headphones, but when she goes, old ladies start conversing with her and then who knows what will happen next. We just have to resign ourselves to our fate and be glad we at least get to hear the stories.

This also would explain why I always get children and madmen talking to me.

Oh no, it's never the Ladies taking surveys on how they can figure out new ways to be nice to me.  No, it's always some mewling spawn telling me about its dag named "Buster" or the old man telling me how the police cars are all GPS'd up so that they get tracked if you try to steal it.  "So don't ever try to steal one.. they will know... THEY'LL KNOW!"  True story.
Logged
So it's satire, is it?  Well that changes everything!

Lockjaw is serious times.

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: Grocery Store Delivery
« Reply #17 on: June 16, 2006, 03:46:36 pm »

I'm with Smells.  I like going to the grocery.  I don't get out enough anyway, and in my little town there are few enough places to go.  Take away the grocery and I'd only ever see the office and the gym.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Re: Grocery Store Delivery
« Reply #18 on: June 16, 2006, 04:24:51 pm »

Ah, I wish I could take credit for attracting good story karma at the grocery store, but really I live in what is disdainfully known (by those who don't live here) as the "granola belt" of my city, where all the crazy communal hippy types live, mixed in with a healthy dose of the poor and disenfrancized, so at least when it comes to the closest grocery store, both the purchase and preparation of food requires a lot of careful thought ranging from the nutritious to the political.  You know, the politics of chocolate?  The politics of canola...  I could go on and on...  Also, I seem to be hardwired to basically open to conversing with anyone, which is good for my writing but not always good for life...  I've found it to be a fatal flaw when it comes to panhandlers and squeegee guys.
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: Grocery Store Delivery
« Reply #19 on: June 16, 2006, 05:04:55 pm »

Sedan Grocery delivery is a job I know I'll keep

It sure was hard to find.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Grocery Store Delivery
« Reply #20 on: June 16, 2006, 05:11:00 pm »

I might be working in a grocery store, soon!
Bi-lo. Awesome.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Re: Grocery Store Delivery
« Reply #21 on: June 16, 2006, 05:32:54 pm »

Bi-lo?  Are you serious?

That sounds like a place where Bisexual Jennifer Lopez impersonators would shop for their... fake Versace dresses... or something...  I'm sorry, I had something funny to write, but then a humming bird smacked into the window next to my computer...

Anyway, Bi-lo is a really silly name for a grocery store.
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Grocery Store Delivery
« Reply #22 on: June 16, 2006, 05:34:01 pm »

Sedan Grocery delivery is a job I know I'll keep

It sure was hard to find.

Thank you...

~Paul
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Grocery Store Delivery
« Reply #23 on: June 16, 2006, 06:01:48 pm »

yeah, it's like a step down from Harris Teeter. which is the more classy supermarket. Bi-Lo is like, wow. In the interview, I had to explain about 5 times that I was going to school out-of-state.

"so, it says here that you plan to only work for us for a few months?"
*explains*
"hm. Alright. Well, it also says that you plan to change jobs frequently over the next few years. Why is that?"
"um... *explains*"
I can't think of any other way she could have asked me that same question. But it was a 10 minute interview, and the majority of the questions were that.

Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

Doc

  • Growing Cucumbers of Impressive Dimensions
  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1408
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5017
  • an emergency backup pug
    • View Profile
Re: Grocery Store Delivery
« Reply #24 on: June 19, 2006, 09:21:53 am »

I had a weird moment where I had to check where Inev was from because we have Bi-Los here as well but they are just not the sort of store I would associate 'international chain' with. So I guess there are two grocery merchants in the world who can't spell.

Also: Notice how when Smells starts to go off on a tangent that may reduce her credibility the universe kills a hummingbird just so she has another story to tell us.
KARMA.
Logged
Inev: 'A lot of things are ridiculous if you think about them long enough, you know?'

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Grocery Store Delivery
« Reply #25 on: June 19, 2006, 11:35:40 am »

yeah, they only have them in the Southern US.

and: I got the job. I think. After the interview, she said "congratulations" and shook my hand. And tommorow I have to go in to fill out tax forms and stuff. Is that usually a pretty good sign?
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

CortJstr

  • Moderator
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: Grocery Store Delivery
« Reply #26 on: June 19, 2006, 12:58:24 pm »

yeah, they only have them in the Southern US.

and: I got the job. I think. After the interview, she said "congratulations" and shook my hand. And tommorow I have to go in to fill out tax forms and stuff. Is that usually a pretty good sign?

They have Bi-Lo in western Pennsylvania as well. Also: Riverside, Shop-n-Save, Giant Eagle.
Logged

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Grocery Store Delivery
« Reply #27 on: June 19, 2006, 01:09:54 pm »

oh, OK. When I was doing the cashier training, I was staring at this map that showed bi-lo locations, and it only included like 5 states. But maybe it was a map of something specific, I don't know.

my inner proto-programmer was flipping out about the cash-register. Want to pay cash? OK! Just type in the amount, then hit cash. Want to use a credit card? OK! type 6/, then hit enter, then hit "credit/debit," then type in the amount of money, then hit enter, then hit credit/debit, then hit enter! then hit Clear (!??!?!?!?!)

I was getting so aggravated. What possible purpose could there be to that?
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

Hobot

  • DISK ONE OF SIX
  • Teodor
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 21
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 861
  • Appearing in a tortilla near you.
    • View Profile
    • Your music is inadequate.
Re: Grocery Store Delivery
« Reply #28 on: June 19, 2006, 05:01:59 pm »

oh, OK. When I was doing the cashier training, I was staring at this map that showed bi-lo locations, and it only included like 5 states. But maybe it was a map of something specific, I don't know.

my inner proto-programmer was flipping out about the cash-register. Want to pay cash? OK! Just type in the amount, then hit cash. Want to use a credit card? OK! type 6/, then hit enter, then hit "credit/debit," then type in the amount of money, then hit enter, then hit credit/debit, then hit enter! then hit Clear (!??!?!?!?!)

I was getting so aggravated. What possible purpose could there be to that?

Aww, theinevitable's first job.

Don't get me started on the registers where I work.
Logged
You had me at "I dig both ladies and fellows."

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
Re: Grocery Store Delivery
« Reply #29 on: June 19, 2006, 05:03:11 pm »

Inev: Generally a good sign that you got the job is that they start training you how to do it.  They usually do not train people who do not actually work there.  Also, filling out tax forms would probably be a clue.

Are you getting paid for your training?  I'd ask.  In fact, your best bet would be to ask whenever you have a question about anything at first, especially if it's something that you can't figure yourself, like how much money they plan on paying you, and what your hours are and stuff.

I take it this is your first job?
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up